Lowrance Elite 12 Ti2

Thinking about getting an Elite 12 Ti2, since they are about half price now and touch screen seems nice to have vs all the buttons to push to navigate menus otherwise. I have a couple questions about them

1. It's not a new model and I'm a bit worried about screen visibility in bright sunlight - any issues? My much older 987 Humminbird is terrible and I want something very easy to view details in any light. I have read new ones continue to improve bright sunlight viewing.

2. Is there a way to plug 2 different transducers into it? I have a universal sonar Minnkota I would like to use and have SI mounted on the transom.

3. Would I be missing something going with this older unit vs new for just SI and down scanning?

4. Do most of the popular lakes have good depth contours on them for fishing / navigation in the map already?

Thanks

2. Member
    I have 2 TI2 units, a 9" that I bought in 2019 and a 12" that I just installed 2 weekends ago. They are great units, especially at the cost of the 12" right now.

1. I have had no issues with viewing in the sun. It seems to be more than bright enough, though I do have good eyes.

2. You can only plug 1 transducer cable into it. There is a Y cable kit for a 2d ducer and a 2 in 1 transducer, it's hard to find just the y cable though, but you can find the kits https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/...kimmer-y-cable. I have one of those on the console, currently have a 2d shoot thru ducer and a 3 in 1 hooked up to it which isn't really supposed to work, but it is working fine for me so far. Got just the Y cable from Wieda's Marine where I bought my boat.

3. The TI2 is comes with the Active Imaging 3 in 1 transducer. It is Lowrance's newest SI transducer and gives great images. The only thing you'd really lack vs the newer units is ethernet networking and the new Active Target live imaging transducer (Like garmins livescope). HDS units do have better screen resolution, but cost a lot more too. Haven't notices any issues on mine.

4. The pre-loaded maps don't have the lakes around Cinci from what I've seen. My 9" came with a Navionics + card and that has been great around here and up on Erie.

Where you at in Cinci?
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghappy View Post
    I have 2 TI2 units, a 9" that I bought in 2019 and a 12" that I just installed 2 weekends ago. They are great units, especially at the cost of the 12" right now.

4. The pre-loaded maps don't have the lakes around Cinci from what I've seen. My 9" came with a Navionics + card and that has been great around here and up on Erie.

Where you at in Cinci?
    Thanks for the information, very helpful! I'm in Blue Ash, how about you?

I do have a Navionics card that covers our area so I can always use that but generally do my fishing out of state. Where do you fish here?

So do you think the 12 inch is too big for bow mounting or would be ok?

I was just going to put the 3in1 on my trolling motor but after looking at some pictures of them in TMs decided it was too big for that really with the USP puck in the front.

Any chance you could check and see if Lake Vermillion in MN is one of the lakes on yours with depth contours? It's up in the NE corner of the state near Canada.
    Last edited by srode; 04-07-2021 at 01:32 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
    Thanks for the information, very helpful! I'm in Blue Ash, how about you?

I do have a Navionics card that covers our area so I can always use that but generally do my fishing out of state. Where do you fish here?

So do you think the 12 inch is too big for bow mounting or would be ok?

I was just going to put the 3in1 on my trolling motor but after looking at some pictures of them in TMs decided it was too big for that really with the USP puck in the front.

Any chance you could check and see if Lake Vermillion in MN is one of the lakes on yours with depth contours? It's up in the NE corner of the state near Canada.

I'm in Springdale. Usually fish Caesars Creek, but my mother in law lives in Batavia so I fish East Fork some as well. Been out to Rocky Fork once and plan on going back there this summer some. I'll check the next time I get a chance to get the graphs in the boat to check out what is included on the base maps for the lakes here and for Vermillion. May be the weekend for that though. I know the CMap Genesis maps has a lot on it from people mapping themselves and uploading it.

I got the 12 and put it at the console for fishing off the back and being able to see it on Erie, then moved the 9 up front. I think the 12 would be great on the bow though. More screen the better if you ask me, easier to see details. I'm getting ready to put my 3in1 on my Terrova soon, I'm going to try to modify the transom mount to work up there. We'll see how it goes.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

5. Member
    I'm getting ready to put my 3in1 on my Terrova soon, I'm going to try to modify the transom mount to work up there. We'll see how it goes.
    Let me know how that goes please. I was looking at the "Precision Sonar" mount if I do the Ti2 12" as an option.

6. Member
    Let me know how that goes please. I was looking at the "Precision Sonar" mount if I do the Ti2 12" as an option.
    I'll keep you posted. Was hoping to get it done this weekend, we'll see.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

7. Member
    BTW, I went by Bass Pro this morning to look at Sonars. They had a Ti2 9 inch on display and I played with it, it does have lake Vermillion with details on it so no need to check that out for me. I'll probably get the 12 inch, fell in love with the touch screen immediately. I think Garmin has the sweet spot on current units with their touchscreen prices, it would be hard to beat those in the midsize units like the 9 inch. Good luck with the transducer.

8. Member
    BTW, I went by Bass Pro this morning to look at Sonars. They had a Ti2 9 inch on display and I played with it, it does have lake Vermillion with details on it so no need to check that out for me. I'll probably get the 12 inch, fell in love with the touch screen immediately. I think Garmin has the sweet spot on current units with their touchscreen prices, it would be hard to beat those in the midsize units like the 9 inch. Good luck with the transducer.
    Got my ducer mounted and ran it this weekend. Having side scan at the front was great and actually got pretty dang good images, little distortion when turning, but I expected that, I was very happily impressed.

I used an angle grinder to cut the transom bracket to fit the trolling motor, a couple of hose clamps (had to cut the slots out a bit in the mount) to hold it to the motor, and an old coiled air hose to run it up the shaft. It worked quite well and stayed away from pinch points and the prop very well.

PXL_20210327_221522840.jpgPXL_20210417_170302366.jpg
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

9. Member
    Got my ducer mounted and ran it this weekend. Having side scan at the front was great and actually got pretty dang good images, little distortion when turning, but I expected that, I was very happily impressed.

I used an angle grinder to cut the transom bracket to fit the trolling motor, a couple of hose clamps (had to cut the slots out a bit in the mount) to hold it to the motor, and an old coiled air hose to run it up the shaft. It worked quite well and stayed away from pinch points and the prop very well.

PXL_20210327_221522840.jpgPXL_20210417_170302366.jpg
    That looks great, nice job!

10. Member
    Looks great, but I would say consider turning the transducer to put the cord at the rear, to protect it from getting hit. You can flip the images in the head to keep images on proper side of the display.

11. Member
    That looks great, nice job!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spinningchicken View Post
    Looks great, but I would say consider turning the transducer to put the cord at the rear, to protect it from getting hit. You can flip the images in the head to keep images on proper side of the display.
    I had thought of that, but it got awfully close to the prop and I don't go in many rough terrain areas. It's a multi-species rig, so typically the bottom of the boat hits something before the troller, or I'm in 20+ feet of water on lake erie.

The good thing is it's not hard to reverse if I feel the need to.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna