Looking for a Boat for a Big Guy

Hello All,
    I am looking at getting back into fishing after quite some time off and looking for a new boat. I am a rather larger guy @ 6’6” currently 340+ but that is actually changing as I am down 40 from the beginning of the year. I do not expect to get much below 280 as I am just naturally large and being an ex-athlete kind of contributes to that. So I am looking for a boat large enough to fit me, my wife and two children who are 4 and 1 1/2. My main focus is on safety and comfort but there is always budget to keep in mind. Right now I know boat prices are thru the roof but I am hoping to say below 25K but could stomach 30K. I would even consider a much cheaper option and maybe upgrade in a couple of years once I can justify the expense. So If you can help me understand what boats could work and boats to stay away from it would be very much appreciated. Thank you all for your help.

2. Member
    I was kind of in the same situation as you. I'm 6'5 300. Also ex athlete and just built large. I looked at a bunch of boats. Found some 21 foot fiberglass boats that I couldn't fit under the console. Lots of boats not bike for tall large guys. I ended up buying a triton 18tx (same as rt188) I fit under the console great and can stretch my legs. Only drawback is I don't have the room for a hot foot. Other than that the boat is very spacious. I've had me and 2 full grown adults with Me and fished no problem. Only problem you may encounter is there's only 3 seats.

3. Member
    Have you considered a center console?

4. Banned
    Might take a look at the Triton 186 and 206. Setup for Fish'n'Ski or Walleye.

5. Member
    See if you can find a late model Stratos 201. The ones I have been in are very roomy especially the driver's console.

6. Member
    Could also look into a multi-species rig. Little slower, but lots of room to stretch out.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

7. Banned
    Yall recommending bass boats must have missed where he wanted to take his wife and two kids. Bass boats probably aren't going to work, at least not comfortably.

I'd go with a multi-species, walleye or fish'n'ski. 4-5 seats, deeper cockpit area, pedestal drivers seat for more room, bimini top option to get the wife and kids out of the sun.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Yall recommending bass boats must have missed where he wanted to take his wife and two kids. Bass boats probably aren't going to work, at least not comfortably.

I'd go with a multi-species, walleye or fish'n'ski. 4-5 seats, deeper cockpit area, pedestal drivers seat for more room, bimini top option to get the wife and kids out of the sun.
    Exactly. I'm not a big guy by any means (5'10" and 220lbs) but the room in my Allure is awesome. New it's a bit above 25-30K but you should be able to find a 186 or 205 used for cheaper. There are some really good options out there, even in aluminum.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

9. Member
    Thank you all for the responses. I have not given much thought to a multi-species boat as i was mainly focused on a bass boat. Family will probably only go about 25% to 50% of the time. I grew up in the bottom of a 17' bass hawk so i am not to concerned with that. I would not mind looking at larger aluminum boat.

10. Member
    Center Console seems like the winner to me......you wont have to sit down....plenty of room for the family.

11. Member
    My 18' tin stick steer has all the space you'll need plus you're not climbing up and down a front deck. You get in sit down & fish. Works for me.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

12. Member
    I'm 6-3, 260 and have a '93 Ranger 361V. I dont have any problems
    Billy Reynolds
    1993 Ranger 361V Comanche, 175 Johnson Faststrike

13. Member
    Lund Pro V Bass or Musky in the XS forms (jump seats for the kids) or something like Crestliner Bass Hawk 1850 w/pedestal seats (also comes with jump seats for the kids) if you are dead set on a bass boat. The pedestal seats allow you to spread out and I am pretty you can get a sliding seat base on the driver's side pedestal seat for legroom. I am just guessing here as these boats are like $40,000

Center console allows you to move around, but be wary of the multi-species boat with windshield, you may not fit between go to the front on some models.
    Last edited by HenryPF; 04-24-2021 at 01:07 PM.