Yamaha trim motor replacement help

I have a 2011 Yamaha 115 that is new to me. I noticed right off that the tilt/trim was going out. I would often have to tap on it with a screwdriver to get it to work, but it would work

I finally had time to replace the motor and I was able to replace it with no problem, but now I can't get the motor to lift all the way up. I have watched videos about bleeding the lines and making sure fluid is full but still can't get it to work

From a down position, the motor will lift as high as to where the pistons stop extending and it will not continue to go up. It's like it's trying to, but it doesn't have the power. What else should I be looking at to solve it? I don't think it could be something else because the motor did raise and lower all the way up and down after tapping trim motor before.

edit: added video. When I went back out to add video, it would not go down. I had to press down a couple of times and then it went. Maybe it's just me, but seems like it's trimming up pretty slow ?

Last edited by Chelsea FC; 08-16-2021 at 07:23 PM.

2. Member
    It sounds/acts like there is air in the system or the reservoir isn't full.

3. Member
    I will keep working at it.

update: I went out there this morning and it doesn't raise up at all

I lowered my jack all the way, I'm wondering if I should lay the tongue down on the ground to help get more oil in the reservoir ? It's definitely full . I even took a syringe to squirt some in and it's full

4. Member
    I was able to get it to work. The thing that did the trick was removing jack and lowering it all the way to the ground. This allowed me to get a little more fluid in. Hope this helps someone else

I noticed my trim rods are not extending at the same time so that is probably part of underlying issue

5. Member
    Make sure any check valves in the system are good. If they leak by it will do exactly what you are describing.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea FC View Post
    I was able to get it to work. The thing that did the trick was removing jack and lowering it all the way to the ground. This allowed me to get a little more fluid in. Hope this helps someone else

I noticed my trim rods are not extending at the same time so that is probably part of underlying issue
    To get the system totally full of fluid, it helps to have someone help by working the trim up switch while you add fluid. I've found those little pump bottles work well for topping off the fluid.
    When topping off the fluid, go all the way up while adding fluid, replace fill cap when in full up position, cycle a few times to clear any trapped air, top off once more. Do not trim down while the cap is off.

If you have the tilt lever locked in holding the motor all the way up, the trim pistons will not extend equally at the same time. One will extend ahead of the other.

Trim motor sounds good in your video. If the trim motor goes out, do not buy a OEM replacement. They are north of $300. Get a exact replacement from someone like DB Electrical. $69-$100.