Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Many Use a Dash Cam?

Watching some YouTube crazy driver and insurance scam driver videos recorded on dash cam. It got me to thinking about getting one. I like the idea of a camera in the back window recording what's going on when towing the boat. Also, the parking monitor might be a good thing while parked at the ramp. Sometimes in the fall and winter, I might be the only rig in the parking lot.

I've watched a lot of YouTube reviews and read all the Amazon reviews. What does everyone think about the best brands etc?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I use Campark…It works fine for me. I do not worry about getting hit while parked. I care about me while driving. All my vehicles have a Dashcam.

57FA8226-BA55-4B93-A053-CC1D261E5C69.jpeg

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I bought dashcams for both my company truck and my personal. Too many crazies out there. That, and if I would have bought them several years ago when I was driving in San Antonio every day, I could probably have a nice YouTube channel. Plenty of subject matter in SA traffic.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Banned
    We got a couple from Costco they work great.

5. Member
    I started using one about a year ago. I only have a forward facing one and don't worry about when parked.

Bought one for my assigned company truck. At least once it backed me up when a woman with no clue as to how a yield sign works called up to bitch that l cut her off. I may or may not have told her in sign language she was #1 as she flew by me with her lips a flappin’
    Ranting incoherently

I need to install one. My truck got broke into at the boat ramp last year. I heard they make a 360 degree one
    Jordan Langford
    2011 Skeeter zx200 w/ 200 SHO
    Youtube: ➡️ https://youtube.com/c/JLFishing1 ⬅️ Check it out!!🔥

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonecollector1 View Post
    I need to install one. My truck got broke into at the boat ramp last year. I heard they make a 360 degree one
    Well if they break in they are more than likely going to take your camera as well along with the memory card.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Well if they break in they are more than likely going to take your camera as well along with the memory card.
    That’s a good point. Some of the newer and more expensive ones store to the Cloud or your iPhone or whatever. I think the parking coverage is mostly about other cars bumping into you. They are bump activated. Some do have a proximity activation. The ramp would be about the only place that feature would interest me very much.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I use a Thinkware 1000, 4K front and 2K rear. It was very easy to run the cable to the rear camera on my F-150, took maybe 10 minutes. I hardwired it about a month after getting it. I was going to pay to have it hardwired but it was pretty easy. I don’t use the parking mode, you really need an external battery and they aren't cheap, figured it’s not really worth it .

The Thinkware will connect to wireless and it has cloud capability, it’ll notify you in parking mode but you’d have to be close proximity to a wireless network to work. It also has a radar adapter (optional add on) that’ll detect motion and notify you every time it detects motion.

After a lot of research I narrowed it down between the Thinkware and the Viofo, both are great with each having some benefits over the other. The Viofo is cheaper and might be just as good.
    Last edited by C130; 09-13-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I use a Thinkware 1000, 4K front and 2K rear. It was very easy to run the cable to the rear camera on my F-150, took maybe 10 minutes. I hardwired it about a month after getting it. I was going to pay to have it hardwired but it was pretty easy. I don’t use the larking mode, yiu reakky Ned an external battery and they aren't cheap, figured it’s not really worth it.
    That’s a nice one. If I understand correctly, they are supposed to shut down if the battery voltage drops below 12 volts. Not sure if I’d trust that to get me home. Can it be deactivated even if you’re hardwired?

I was considering the Thinkware 200Pro.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Got one in my truck....cheap insurance and you have proof when someone tells a different story.....

Just recently was getting dinner in drive thru when all of a sudden saw a SUV flipping on the highway.....got home amd pull card and was able to see the whole thing and how it happened.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    That’s a nice one. If I understand correctly, they are supposed to shut down if the battery voltage drops below 12 volts. Not sure if I’d trust that to get me home. Can it be deactivated even if you’re hardwired?

I was considering the Thinkware 200Pro.
    I have mine hardwired to only come on when I turn the vehicle on. It’s not on a continuously hot fuse. I decided if I wanted to add it to a hot fuse I’ll do that later, it’ll just take a few minutes. Yes, it’ll shut off it voltage drops and I think I you can choose different voltages for it to shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I have mine hardwired to only come on when I turn the vehicle on. It’s not on a continuously hot fuse. I decided if I wanted to add it to a hot fuse I’ll do that later, it’ll just take a few minutes. Yes, it’ll shut off it voltage drops and I think I you can choose different voltages for it to shut off.
    Do you find the GPS features like the lane departure and oncoming traffic warning features useful?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    Several have a small enternal battery to power a couple of movement clips.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    We have some garmin dash cams in stock we bought to try out for fun. If anyone wants one, let me know. I have not made the time to mount one up yet but they are slick
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    have dash cams in all my vehicles and backup cams the dash cam has made a fool out of a couple of karens

18. Member
    I ran one for years when I was a pro driver. It saved my bacon more than once. I run them in all of my vehicles. This situation right here absolved me of any responsibility in this accident. Amazingly, the driver of the car went across all lanes of traffic in Atlanta's rush hour and didn't get a scratch, even though he crashed into the median wall.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Waylens Secure360 does go to the "cloud" so it doesn't matter what happens to the camera... Too late at that point... Whichever one you go with, go with one that has WIFI and a good app so you don't have to fool with a memory card...

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyJoe View Post
    Waylens Secure360 does go to the "cloud" so it doesn't matter what happens to the camera... Too late at that point... Whichever one you go with, go with one that has WIFI and a good app so you don't have to fool with a memory card...
    Still not all that effective as they have to be on camera in the act and even if they are what is the likelihood that anything will be done by the police? Cameras don't capture the side of the vehicle usually even though this one apparently does. Also how reliable would wifi service be out in a rural area at the lake?

Not faulting what you said, just pointing out some areas of concern.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast