Fortrex 112 vs New Tour 109, has the new Tour dethroned old reliable?

Honest question…is the new Tour 109 more robust and reliable as the tried and true Fortrex 112?
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I don't think anything is more battle tested and trustworthy then a fortrex.

3. Member
    Can't see how anything with electronic components in it will ever compete for reliability with something as simple and basic as a Fortrex. But now so many want spot lock. Always a trade off.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Advantage to a New Tour 109... It uses the same Mounting system as a Tour Pro. Remove 2 bolts and swap a gas shock and you have Anchor Mode with Tour Pro bolt-on system. Or vice versa....

Quote Originally Posted by 06x6spdGTO View Post
    Advantage to a New Tour 109... It uses the same Mounting system as a Tour Pro. Remove 2 bolts and swap a gas shock and you have Anchor Mode with Tour Pro bolt-on system. Or vice versa....
    Can you expand on that please. I have the tour and am thinking about the tour pro, are they selling an upgrade kit that is everything but the mount?

6. Member
    Not much to expand on really. The NEW Tour 941200020-942100050 use the same Mount assembly as the Tour Pro. In regards to you can unbolt 1 steering/motor system and bolt-on another. Just remove the 2 bolts that go through the breakaway 360. The Gas Shock for Stow/Deploy is heavier on the Tour Pro for the extra weight and can be easily changed if you would like. You'd need to talk to a local dealer to see if you can order just the steering system assembly.

But makes for an easy swap and worth keep "ole' reliable" Tour should something happen.

I spoke to motorguide about a month ago about this very subject. They informed me that I would need to buy everything, not just the steering assembly.

One other question, if I need to back up the boat and hook a stump or something will the break away function correctly? I have studied the system and don’t see how it would break away if the boat is going backwards.

Living and fishing in Florida I am trying to determine just how often I would use spot lock vs power poles. Seems the weeds and stumps are a mine field for the new Ultrex, Terrova, etc…. Heard heavy weeds can damage the fragile gearing. Still on the fence over this. I do want the new brushless but in a standard cable steer.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus