Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Deer hunting - meat hunter or trophy hunter?

Which one are you? At a young age I was a meat hunter. Then after awhile I turned into a trophy hunter because that’s what the family, etc was and I wanted that trophy on the wall. I use that term loosely because I have only taken one “trophy” since then. May have to get back to my roots because it seems like the last few years I’ve been losing the fire to get out hunting and I feel like it may be getting burned out on the trophy aspect.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    I have not deer hunted seriously for ten years or so. Before that I was meat hunter. Shot mostly large does and spikes which I thought were does. Not really interested in trophies.

3. Member
    I learned a long time ago that you can't eat horns.

It depends on what day you ask me lol. During bow season, I don't "manage" the population. I often say "if it doesn't have spots, it's a trophy" although not completely true. I target meat, specifically large does but don't mind taking any buck over 1.5 years old.
    During muzzleloading season, (peak of rut in Va.)I target mature bucks, but will also take a large doe or 2.
    During Rifle season, I'm usually out of buck tags and try to take at least the same number of does to equal the number of bucks harvested.
    I do have some real trophies on my wall, (including a state champ) but I hunt for both food and enjoyment. Sometimes that means letting a big buck walk and sometimes it means I pull the trigger on a basket 6. Whatever I'm lead to do at that moment.
    2021 Season to date:
    -bow season: 1 large doe, one 1.5 year old buck
    -muzzleloader season: 1 2.5 year old 8 pointer, one large 4.5 year old 8 pointer
    -rifle season: (started today) buddy was sick so I didn't go out in this cold wind, but will probably take a doe this evening.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

Meat hunter for sure 2 or 3 does in the freezer does me fine.

6. Member
    I'm a meat hunter (especially in this economy), but will shoot a nice buck if it pops up. I'm not going to pass over multiple does to wait on a nice buck.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Different for me at different times. If I want meat, I will shoot a small buck because he probably won't breed too many does. I rarely will shoot a doe on our land just to help the numbers increase. I hunt the rut for big bucks as they are usually nocturnal most other times.

8. Member
    Meat hunter here, never shot one with spots on it but it wouldn't bother me, especially if bow hunting. Same as when I'm fishing - I have fun catching the little ones too (although I'll usually let the little ones go).

Trophy hunter but will kill someone meat deer if they want one.

10. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Meat hunter September through October, trophy hunter November, meat hunter December.
    Thanos was the hero

When young, and hunted most every day, it was Trophy. Bow Hunting, even used the bow during gun season. As I got older less time, now its Hunting with Dad and he firmly believes that any deer on his property is trespasser, and should shot.

12. Member
    Here in AZ there are rarely doe tags. My first deer at 16 was a 145” Muley so for the 10 years after that although shooting smaller bucks I was always after something bigger. Killed several mule deer even the dog wouldn’t choke down but the roach coach would swap me for a month of meals.

Slow forward 50 years and I’ve killed B&C elk, mule deer and coues and other then helping grandkids and calling coyotes my pursuit of big game is pretty well done.

13. Banned
    Never understood the mind set of look what i killed. Had a chance to shoot a big ass deer as a kid. Looked at it and thought what the hell am i going to do with you? Let it walk. Now if ya like to eat it then i understand. Ill eat the shit out of some deer sausage but to kill something just to "satisfy" my ego knowing i was responsible for its last breath i dont get.

14. Member
    Trophy is all I hunt, filling the freezer isn’t a problem luckily.

15. Member
    Both..I'm trophy hunting early in the season, but as it winds down I'm all about filling the freezer too

16. Member
    Both, I'll meat hunt early but when the rut kicks in I'll chase the trophy.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

17. Member
    Most trophy hunters I know, including myself make every effort to
    use the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Never understood the mind set of look what i killed. Had a chance to shoot a big ass deer as a kid. Looked at it and thought what the hell am i going to do with you? Let it walk. Now if ya like to eat it then i understand. Ill eat the shit out of some deer sausage but to kill something just to "satisfy" my ego knowing i was responsible for its last breath i dont get.
    I don't think that type of person exists much outside of PETAs imagination. Even the trophy bucks get eaten
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

When I did hunt it was for the meat.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    Most trophy hunters I know, including myself make every effort to
    use the meat.
    Yep, hunters for the hungry is big here in Texas.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast