Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Both.. Very rarely do I not eat what I shoot... Even if it's the older and what they call gamey bucks... I've taken a bunch of em in my time and grew up eating it... I am very selective in what I shoot nowadays but depending on where I am if it's legal I'll let her fly... I've taken deer from 27 lbs to 280 lbs in Alabama and it's kept me out of a lot of trouble thru the years...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    While on the subject of deer sausage, how much more healthy is deer sausage. Reason why i ask is they add pork butts to add fat. After they add the pork is it still considerably leaner? I dont hunt but as said love the sausage. How much healthier is it? I get enough from my buddy that my wife and i eat it for breakfast couple times a week. I trade him specs for sausage.
    When I make deer sausage I mix it with 40-50% pork butt. Anything less is just too lean for my taste. So with a 40-50% pork mix, I guess one could say it's 50 to 60% healthier? IDK. I also don't think the words "healthy and sausage" are ever used in the same sentence.

I am both. On my farm I am very picky on what buck I chase. On refuge hunt I'm not picky. My boy is 9 and like me enjoys hunting and chasing deer. Now that he's got full interest and willing, I'll let him shoot 2. looking for 2-3 more deer for this year.

He shot a 4 pointer yesterday, I let him skin it by himself this afternoon. It's neat to watch them learn, solo gut job is next.

I have taken deer hunting up again after 15 years and I don't know why. I am no threat to ever shoot one again. I don't need the meat. And the size buck I might shoot is nearly non-existent in Alabama. I guess that makes me a trophy hunter. But its really an excuse to go out and watch the sun rise on frosty mornings with my favorite rifle.

I hunt to hunt and provide for the family, if a trophy happens to meet up its lights out.

6. Member
    First buck or doe that comes past the ground blind gets arrowed, the last 10 years it's been 7 does and 3 bucks.

7. Member
    Just came back from a 4 day hunt on my lease property.

I grew up with Hunting just a natural part of living. Back then a Legal Buck was a 3-inch Spike, and you shot the first legal Buck you saw and was Thankful for it too!

I shot one true Wall Hanger and it was sort of by chance, but while scouting I found 20+ inch Trees that had been rubbed so I knew there had to be a big one in there. Opening Morning he ran up top me with 4 Does and stopped to make a Scrape. I really didn't know how big he was until I walked up to him. 11-Points with a 18 1/2 Inside Spread.

As laws have changed I learned to adapt. 3-points on One side became law where I lived and then years later where I now live. On the old place they shoot Monster Bucks every year If they are willing to pass over several on the chance they will see One. Of course not everyone does.

I like the Meat and do it all up myself. I have had it processed but never liked how it was done or even knew if I got my meat back. Most busy Processers just dump all the scraps together and grind it up then weigh out yours. You might of shot a fat Corn Fed Buck and the other guys a scrubby lean tough deer and you get what you get.

I help feed myself, two Daughters and their Families. My Wife never has liked the meat but all three of my girls and their kids love it.

If it's legal and It Makes Me Feel Good about the shot, I take it. Be that a Doe, Small Buck or Bigger Buck. Florida Deer Hunting is the hardest I've ever done.

Sunday I shot the 2nd biggest Buck I had on Cam Pics after passing 3 Does and a few smaller Bucks. He was a 7-point with a smallish spread. I was excited and happy to get him and that's all that matters.

For Just Food Flavor, Shoot a Doe. Their meat tastes much better.

8. Member
    antlers dont make good soup

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shasta Bob View Post
    I hunt to hunt and provide for the family, if a trophy happens to meet up its lights out.
    Same here. Plus I enjoy taking my boys hunting and if what is in front of them makes them happy....then it makes me even happier.

I should add to this.....that for ME, I won't shoot small basket racks or very immature bucks. I did plenty of that when I was first getting into deer hunting. I would rather harvest a mature doe for freezer fill and it's usually what I end up doing.
    Last edited by Flippin 416; 11-16-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Why not both? Shoot does for the meat, shoot big bucks for the wall? At least that's what I do.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I’ve deer hunted since 1970 but don’t much anymore. I have a lot of buddies that get plenty and give me what I want ant to eat. I’m lucky that I love where there are a lot of huge bucks and I love watching them especially right now while they are out roaming all day

Dale Sinclair original

12. Member
    If I am going to kill it I am going to eat it, way I was brought up, don't hunt unless you are providing food for yourself/family.

13. Member
    I am a Deer hunter, I hunt by opportunity, if the opportunity presents itself for a trophy class deer, I will take it, and vice versa if the opportunity to take a doe present itself I will take it. I am not into trophies, But I am into eating deer meat.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

14. Member
    Depends on the year. Some years it's meat, other years trophy. Depends how much venison is still in the freezer and how much demand there is from friends. This year it's trophy even though I haven't got a line on any (too many projects). I like to keep a tally of how many does and lesser bucks I can scope while waiting for Mr Big.

15. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Trophy hunter until December because there are THAT many deer here. Yesterday morning I saw 40+ deer, 9 of which were bucks.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I am both, I shoot does to eat and will shoot a buck if it is a trophy.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

I'm a meat hunter myself. Mostly because I'm not a talented enough hunter to only hunt horns. I love the meat, love being in the stand, love taking the animal. But, I'm just not good enough to strictly hunt trophy deer. I love it when I get a shot at one, but it's more chance for me than anything else.

18. Member
    Although I don't hunt ideal trophy deer land. I am a trophy hunter now. Years ago, I was just happy to tag a deer. Now I have a really hard time shooting any thing other than a mature whitetail buck. I fish for meat.

19. Member
    When use to bow hunt I was focused on killing mature bucks, for me it was all about the challenge of getting within bow range of a mature buck. When it came to eating them as far as I'm concerned grain fed beef taste better than a whitetail. The only time I'd kill a doe was if she was one of those OLD horse headed does that walked thru the timber looking up trees stomping and blowing the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS22 View Post
    When use to bow hunt I was focused on killing mature bucks, for me it was all about the challenge of getting within bow range of a mature buck. When it came to eating them as far as I'm concerned grain fed beef taste better than a whitetail. The only time I'd kill a doe was if she was one of those OLD horse headed does that walked thru the timber looking up trees stomping and blowing the whole time.
    I love taking out old mule headed does, they're harder than a stinking old buck at times.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast