Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Work promotion....and the tension that has followed-advice anyone?

I was recently informed I'm being promoted to Manager of a small municipality following the typical resume/interview process. One of the other final candidates is also an employee, with MANY more years employed here. Let me say, since the announcement, you couldn't cut the tension in this office with a chainsaw. I am trying to give her some time to process all of this, but I can't and won't work with this type of tension and stress.

My plan is to give it a week or so (maybe less) and have a one-on-one talk with her. Reiterate that she is a valuable employee and is needed (which has been done already also by current manager). Frankly, I need her assistance. She does have a wealth of knowledge on some aspects of municipal gov't administrative functions. For a quite an amount of time, too much was piled on her leading to a variety of issues that reared their ugly heads. The current Manager had taken a step back to focus on his new endeavor and was basically remotely managing. She was given a raise with the expectation that she was taking on a bit more assignments, none of which entailed managing, but were administrative in nature. What you have left is the bag that I'm walking into with officially being promoted which takes affect later this month.

I've been in this position before in the law enforcement world, but that had a chain of command, and being promoted over less senior employees wasn't as dramatic (in my opinion at least).

If anyone has advice as to how you handled a similar situation, feel free to offer it up. I'd be glad to hear it.

Honestly, the best way to move forward is with formal counseling between you and her laying out her duties and responsibilities as well as your expectations. If you allow her too much time to process the change in the leadership dynamic...you run the risk of allowing her to undermine your authority. I suspect her productivity will drop until she either recognizes and accepts this new dynamic, or she'll walk. Good luck and congratulations on the new position.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    She and anyone else who doesnt like your promotion will eventually leave. Might as well plan on that

(Edit) I will also add that there are always two sides to every story.
    Last edited by Axkiker; 12-14-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Ditto ^. Some people you will never get along with. All you can do is be professional.

My opinion for what it's worth is to take her to lunch immediately.
    If tension is that bad now, it won't get any better. Work it out. Don't get angry of overbearing. Listen to her side; let her air it out, don't get defensive and interject or interrupt her with your viewpoint. When she is done. Reiterate that you need her help and experince. That together you and her working together can make your little town a great place to live and work.
    2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

6. Member
    Despite her "MANY" more years of experience, it's evidently her attitude that's prevented her from moving up the ranks. May be beneficial for her to be made aware of that.

-b-

7. Member
    I have been in that same situation before and the other person had hurt feeling and resentment at first but it all worked out!
    Good luck and congratulations on the new position.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If she can’t get over it, tell her you will have to get along without her.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

My guess is the saga will last forever.....no matter what you do you will be the bad guy....move along

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnleo View Post
    I was recently informed I'm being promoted to Manager of a small municipality following the typical resume/interview process. One of the other final candidates is also an employee, with MANY more years employed here. Let me say, since the announcement, you couldn't cut the tension in this office with a chainsaw. I am trying to give her some time to process all of this, but I can't and won't work with this type of tension and stress.

My plan is to give it a week or so (maybe less) and have a one-on-one talk with her. Reiterate that she is a valuable employee and is needed (which has been done already also by current manager). Frankly, I need her assistance. She does have a wealth of knowledge on some aspects of municipal gov't administrative functions. For a quite an amount of time, too much was piled on her leading to a variety of issues that reared their ugly heads. The current Manager had taken a step back to focus on his new endeavor and was basically remotely managing. She was given a raise with the expectation that she was taking on a bit more assignments, none of which entailed managing, but were administrative in nature. What you have left is the bag that I'm walking into with officially being promoted which takes affect later this month.

I've been in this position before in the law enforcement world, but that had a chain of command, and being promoted over less senior employees wasn't as dramatic (in my opinion at least).

If anyone has advice as to how you handled a similar situation, feel free to offer it up. I'd be glad to hear it.
    INVOLVE HR! You didn't hire/promote yourself, so her issue is not with you. HR must be involved and prepared incase it escalates, especially if she tries to go legal and file gender discrimination lawsuit, etc.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

11. Member
    I have personally been on both sides of this issue. I also work with a lot of public employers, so I know your situation is a little different than the rest of the world. I think your decision to let it settle down is a wise move. You did not mention how long you have worked with this other employee or how close your relationship is so I have to make an assumption here that both of you are good folks and reasonable. The first person I was hired to replace (who remained in the organization) created a very tense environment for a few months. Slowly we developed a working relationship and eventually a friendship that lead to several enjoyable fishing trips. He became a real mentor to me and I valued his friendship until he passed so I would look at this as an opportunity. If she was qualified to be interviewed for the job she must have some good characteristics and would add value to your team. If she really doesn't want to work it out, she can then decide on her own to look at other opportunities.

That being said, public sector employers are a little different as you know. This employee may have a lot of years into her retirement plan where she cannot easily quit for another job so she may feel trapped and/or embarrassed that she was passed over. If you think she is a reasonable person I'd give her some time and in the meantime make an effort to throw her a few public displays of respect. After that I would take the direct approach and privately take her to lunch and say you need her help and would like to have her on your team. The old saying "I'd rather have them in the tent pissing out then outside the tent pissing in" applies. It takes a team to run many of these operations so the more good folks you can have with you the more likely you are to succeed.

12. Member
    There are winners and losers in this type of scenario. In this case depends on her personality and goals. Having worked for a large utility for 36 years there was always more to the story and there were always hurt feelings. Best thing to do is do your new job the best you can. A few have found out the hard way that no one born or made is irreplaceable or non-expendable. There were a few in our organization that thought the whole corporation would really take it in the shorts if they left because of a non-promotion or other situation. Truth is we got by just fine after the initial pain of losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    INVOLVE HR! You didn't hire/promote yourself, so her issue is not with you. HR must be involved and prepared incase it escalates, especially if she tries to go legal and file gender discrimination lawsuit, etc.
    This^^^^ As a small business owner and a former VP of a large construction company, I have recieved extensive HR training. Based on that, no way in heck would I have a private conversation with her. When I was a VP, I had to evaluate female employee's. Once the review was complete, we had an in person meeting to review that evaluation. I never, ever had thosse meetings without a witness in the office with me.

All that being said, I can understand how she feels about the situation. Difficult situation for all involved.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

14. Member
    I have been there: I recommend the two of you sit down together and have good honest and open communication!

15. Member
    Assuming that you will be over these people and make more money than they do, there is nothing you can do beyond treating everyone well. That person will always feel that they deserved it more than you, and they need to understand that it was not "your choice". They need to work this out with the people who made the decision to hire you, and in the long run that person will probably leave.

16. Member
    Been there done that. Lay out what needs to be said, get approval from boss, and MAKE SURE you have a witness as you are telling her the news. NEVER have a meeting like this without evidence as to what was said. In today’s world you could even set up a camera and record the event and get what is said by both sides. Be sure to get her permission on the camera also.

It's your ship now and you own all the warts. Welcome to management, the worst/best job.

People that get passed over rarely work out, plan on her leaving either 1) to fulfill her potential elsewhere or 2) out of spite, or her turning sour on you and the organization where you then need to manage her up or out. As another poster above said, there are always winners and losers and there will be choppy waters ahead.

You were promoted for a reason, presumably because you represent the best person to achieve the organizations objectives. Focus on that and not the drama. Keep it about the business at all times and make sure you stay focused on what's important. If you do that, it will all work out in the end even if your employee roster has a bunch of new names.

18. Member
    Basically you’re there to provide for yourself and your family go to work do your job as professional as possible and go home. If they don’t like you tuff shit for them.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

19. Member
    I myself am a public sector employee (Manager). I would bet the farm if she has a lot of years into her retirement she's not going anywhere. I would just give it some time. If things don't improve help her get transferred to another department. Thats the route most within a City/County/State will take. Good luck.

20. Member
    I've been in her position before. Submitted for plant mgr position but company filled position from outside. He had zero experience in our main operations that was the only profitable part of our business. I'm happy to add that l was a big part of making it profitable as it wasn't when l arrived 2 years prior. Supposedly he had good experience in a new endeavor we had already implemented and rolling with.

One day shortly after his start, he and l were discussing scheduling, etc for the profitable segment and he made the statement that he didn't care about it and it wasn't important. I was taken aback of course. So l shot an email to complex mgr about the situation. He had a meeting between us and the new plant mgr apologized. 1.5 months later l was let go, told my position was phased out of company.

Egos get hurt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast