Banned

Older z119 layout vs Modern 519 layout...

Hey guys, looking at an older 2011 z119 and noticed the layout is different then the newer 519 layouts which are same as my z118 layout. Wondering how the older layout compares to the new layout. Can rods be stored on the starboard side box? Does the front deck space feel smaller? Vs new deck layout? I do like the centre rod/ tackle storage on my z118 but I also like that centre box layout on the older model. My concern is I like to store all 16 rods and being from Ontario and smallmouth land I have a lot of spinning gear vs casting... any insight would be appreciated

thank you

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I owned a 2011 Z119 for three years, and have now had a 2018 and 2022 Z519. The new/est Z519s are a little longer and deeper than the Z119, with a bit more front deck space. Rod storage in the starboard box is not really happening, unless they are very short rods. The middle compartment rod storage on the newer models is definitely helpful if you are carrying 16 rods. For my boats since 2014, with that type of center storage, I’ve typically laid some bait containers flat in the middle and stored 4 rods over top of them, making a total of 14 that I carry. However, using rod socks, it’s not difficult to put 2 rods in any slot—whether in the center compartment or port compartment [main rod locker]. The newest/current Z518 and Z519 ride a little smoother and with less hull slap than the 2011 models did. The trade off is that the 2011 models, in prime conditions, typically were a little faster. Much of that speed difference might be due to 2-stroke versus 4-stroke engines, but that is just conjecture at this point. Not really a significant speed difference anyway.

If I needed 16 rods in a 2011, I’d get rod sleeves and double up in the port slots, but lots of spinning reels make tight storage a challenge. I carry most of my spinning outfits in the center storage, to avoid such tangles.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 12-27-2021 at 06:41 AM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Good info...I carry my spinning rods in the middle box over the tackle, I have nothing more to add here except I wish I would have "manned up" and bought the 519L!
    Boatless

4. Banned
    Thanks all for the info... I have a 2013 z118 and really like the front deck layout, I can store a bunch of tackle in the centre locker and also lay my day rods on top... anyone know if the the rod tubes in the older z118 can be removed or are they foamed in like the rest???

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Foamed in.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Banned
    Dam ranger and their quility build....

I have a 2011 Z119 and rods can be stored in the starboard locker, just doesn't have rod rack and tubes. Also that is where I have my LSS unit mounted in front of the console.

Sorry I said mine was a 2011 it's actually a 2012, not sure if they are different.

I'm pretty sure that 2011 layout was the same as my old 2013 Z119. The starboard rod box had the rod tubes and the port rod box did not. There was plenty of room for rods up to 7 feet on the port side though. The biggest drawback if you carry a lot of tackle is that the center tackle storage box lid did not extend over the entire storage area, meaning you had a portion of the box that you could not access easily. I used that area to store a change of clothes and extra lifejacket and made do with the smaller area in the front. Agree with John that the boat slapped a little more than the new models but were faster. However, in 2011 you are probably looking at boat with a 200 instead of a 225 and the years they limited the horsepower on the 119 made that boat underpowered in my opinion. Still, a damn nice boat though, I loved mine.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

I have a 12 Z519, which is the same layout as the 11-13 -Z119 but with all the Comanche trimmings. I hear many folks like the longer extended deck/center storage lid of the later models but I have yet to ever fish from that space. I prefer the older layout in that its easy to sit on the cooler lid and access all three storage boxes. The smaller scale recessed foot pedal tray is design built for a snug fit. No wasted space is cleaner than the grand canyon trays of today. The seats are/were infinitely better, IMHO, and I think it could be argued the OAL quality was a touch better prior to the 2013/14 transition. Not taking anything away from Ranger, they are still a top tier brand and they do make a stellar product but they are not standing as far apart from some of their competition today.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

11. Banned
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I think I'm gonna stay with the newer layout as that's what I have in my z118 and really like it. Also wouldn't mine the 225 option.