Thread: Roundabouts

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

And how we do it in Mass......

2. Member
    Here we have an interstate exit off I-75 onto a federal highway and the transportation cabinet has proposed to build 2 "Mini" roundabouts. 1 for each side of it. They are supposed to be 30' in diameter.

Off this exit are 3 factories and 3 schools. Around 70 school busses a day would go through these along with dozens of tractor trailers.

Now, I'm no highway engineer with 3 mechanical pencils and a protractor in my shirt pocket, BUT, Common sense says an 80' long tractor trailer and a 45' long school bus is going to have a problem negotiating a 30' diameter circle.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    Hey they all made it safely. The only times I've had to go in one there was no traffic so I'm not sure if I like them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    Same in Germany but people actually used their blinker in Europe. The biggest problem here with 4 ways and circles is that most of our drivers are too lazy or distracted to use turn signals.
    That what I hate about them. No signal guess your best. So you have to stop and wait till you know what they are doing and then they may just change there mind at the last second. At least a 4 way you have a clue what they might do!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    Milwaukee Roundabout - YouTube

Lots of entertainment for you...

6. Member
    I will let it rip on the interstate, but most say I drive like an old man in the city. I think I drive super defensively, mainly from years of riding a motorcycle. I got my fair share of honks and fingers when we lived in Indy and I had to use roundabouts.

I tend to like roundabouts now, but it took 5 years of daily commuting with multiple to get that way.

Their main benefit is traffic control to reduce backups. However, there are exceptions. One of the busiest roundabout intersections in my town has heavy traffic in 3 out of 4 directions, one of them being the exit traffic from an interstate which can often back up and cause standstill traffic on the interstate during rush hour traffic.

One thing that annoys me about roundabouts is people speeding while approaching and through roundabouts. This makes "timing" traffic difficult especially when towing and makes people hesitate to enter which is the exact opposite of what should happen in roundabouts.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    enter Circles in the mix....... Then we can start on Jug handles......
    I grew up, and learned to drive, in New Jersey. I’m quite familiar with both. I think they both make things a lot easier, but they confuse the hell out of non-locals.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    The main thing roundabouts accomplish is they slow traffic so when there is an accident it usually is injury free. You just don't have a vehicle blasting through a stop sign or red light at 50 mph.
    Yes more accidents but fewer serious crashes. I drove a 2 lane traffic circle everyday for 14 years and there was at least one fender a week, usually more. Rarely saw an ambulance respond.

The circle was right near an area with a ton of hotels so I had to deal with people not knowing how to drive traffic circles and people unfamiliar with the area. I saw some shit.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bschwoep View Post
    Yes more accidents but fewer serious crashes. I drove a 2 lane traffic circle everyday for 14 years and there was at least one fender a week, usually more. Rarely saw an ambulance respond.
    Those "Non-injury" accidents are before Morgan and Morgan or Hitchner, Knopafa, and Hitchner or The Hammer or whatever other snake in the grass gets ahold of it. Then they get the whole kit. A collar, crutches, back brace, wheelie chair, and all.

Quote Originally Posted by rdcarleton View Post
    We recently had a four way stop (notorious for long backups) converted to a "Traffic Circle" (round-a-bout). its Great!, I have yet to see a backup since the conversion.
    If done right they are a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogchunker View Post
    I hate them...at least people understand green,and red
    Are you kidding?
    Bob Guess
    Fishin for Fun
    99 Stratos 273/ 96 Merc 115

13. Member
    I have never heard of or encountered a "round about".

Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    He's from Mass, everyone thinks they have the right of way!

I grew up there, so I know
    you're right! most meatheads either speed up not to let anyone in or slow down and no one can get on!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

15. Member
    one in Dallas PA. is to small trucks have a hard time getting around without rear trailer tires not running up on curb

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yanknbass View Post
    you're right! most meatheads either speed up not to let anyone in or slow down and no one can get on!
    Suffer. If you're in the circle you have the right-of-way. You'll only see that meathead once unless he is a real dickweed and has no where to go and drives in circles all day.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If you're in the circle you have the right-of-way.
    Does this include backing up?

I came to a traffic jam at a roundabout. Seems the poor lady missed her turn in the roundabout and was backing up to take the first right she missed.

I guess at least she didn't get stuck driving in circles.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Milwaukee Roundabout - YouTube

Lots of entertainment for you...
    This channel is the gift that keeps on giving lol.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Same people that have a problem with them also have problems with merging and yielding.
    This ^^^
    Bass Boat