Thread: new to me 519VX

new to me 519VX

recently purchased a cream puff 2006 ranger 519VX has a 200 optimax dual power poles, 4 group 27 batteries. I have a question, when I come off plane to idle /stop lots of water comes in over the back deck. I have had bass boats over 30 years and realize it is normal to get some and you have to ease in and add throttle before the back wash catches up with the boat but with this boat no matter how I throttle in it will have abnormal amounts come in. I was told that it is normal for the 519 with power poles. If it is Im sure guys on the great lakes and other large windy lake have to have some type splash guard across the back of the boat... any advise

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

2. Member
    On mine,the jackplate was scooping water just as it settled down. I put a skid plate on the bottom of the jackplate,it made a world of difference. After that I would just bump the throttle at the last second,no more water.

thanks Dale, i don have a jack plate, but previous owner said it did not do this till the power poles were installed the instller called P/pole they sent anothr style of mounts that helped but did not cure the concern.
    ps = congrads on your recent tournament finish

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

4. Member
    learn to burp throttle as boat settlers down best way to deal with it.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Switch to Lithium Batteries for the trolling motor to get some of the weight out of the back end

6. Member
    When I test drove the '01 518vx/200 Opti (same 19' boat as yours) that I ended up buying, it too had a 36v Maxxum 101 on it. I changed it out to a 24v 80lb Fortrex shortly after ...... and I was amazed at how much less 'feathering of the throttle' I had to do when coming off plane.

Also, my Z520 that I have now. It has the older style PowerPole bracket (so I'm told) and I know that if I sit that boat down hard, it looks like someone took a bucket of water to the back deck.

So there's a good chance the combination of PowerPole bracket and 4xbatteries is what's causing your issue.

Cheapest fix is to learn to 'prolonged feather the throttle' to sit her down ............ or just make sure you got a good bilge pump.

Hope it helps.
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

7. Member
    i have a 2003 521vx and that happens to me to but if i slow down and TRIM down as im slowing down this helps eliminate this now i dont have powerpoles or a jack plate either. hope this helps. oh I was thinking that you may be able to set up a go pro and aim it at the transom as you slow down to see if it is indeed the power poles or something else. I wouldn't want to have someone standing on the back deck as you come off plane too dangerous.

8. Member
    I had a 519vx with dual poles and lithiums. I had to learn to give it a little bump to the throttle when stopping to avoid that water of the back. 521vx I have now doesn’t have that problem, but it also doesn’t have the poles on it.

9. Moderator
    My did it at first too. I have to feather the hot foot alot to keep it dry. The water crashes over the power pole bracket and onto the deck. It's annoying but I've figure out how to keep it from doing it. You will too after a few trips.

The older 518VX weren’t designed for 36V trolling motors with four lead acid batteries, hydraulic Jack plates, and power poles. I had the same problem as everyone else. Had to feather it and give the throttle a bump rights before she sat down. If you replace all those batteries for lithium’s you will see a big difference. Ass end won’t sit down as hard.

11. Member
    Definitely swap the tm batteries for lithium and you are going to want to put a grp 31 for cranking.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

12. Member
    My 519 vx 04 is loaded with batteries , and charger and it's dry. Must be the poles causing the issue.

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The more weight in the back of the boat, the lower the stern will sit. And the further back extra weight is hung, the more impact that added weight will have [simple fulcrum effect]. Because the poles sit farther back than the batteries, the fulcrum is longer. How low is too low? You’ll know it when you see it. For the same reason, I found in the two times that I’ve had hydraulic jack plates [which typically weigh around 20-25 pounds more than manual models] that they drop the stern more and can cause backwash to occur where it didn’t before. To me, that extra weight outside the stern is another factor to consider when weighing the pros/cons of hydraulic plates. But not to get off topic, that’s just an example of weight distribution.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio