Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spinning reel suggestions

What is the best size of reel for shakey head, senko and wacky rigging ? What is the best reel for $100 or less ?

2. Member
    The best, cheaper, spinning reel i've found is the Pflueger President. They may not be as smooth as higher end reels, but they hold up just as well. At least that's my experience.

Size...30 or 35. Depends on the rod weight.

3. Member
    Another vote for the Pflueger President. I have 4 of them and they’re the best reel for the money imo. Smooth drag, and lasts forever I’m still using some that I got 15 years ago. Might be a little bulky compared to other reels but I love them.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Shimano Sahara 2500 or 3000 depending on what feels better for you. I like the 3000 because it seems to do a little better avoiding line twists. It also comes in a 6.2:1 gear ration which helps picking up some line with that wacky/senko presentation.

5. Member
    I use to own Pflueger spinning reels until I bought Daiwa. Honestly any Daiwa spinning reel from $60-$100 will perform well and last. My Pflueger reels have pretty much all crapped out on me

6. Member
    Daiwa Exceler is as good as you'll find for under $100, Fuego for a little more...on cheaper reels I like the ability to backreel and you can't on the Shimanos.

7. Member
    I work at BPS and we sell more Pflueger Presidents than anything else because they are solid reels for only $70. The Daiwa Fuego's are lighter and a little smoother for around $100. Both the Shimano Sedona and Sahara are very nice for under $100 but do not allow you to back-reel. We don't handle Okuma spinning reels but their Epixor series is a great reel for under $100. Any of these would be good reels for you.

I'm also in the market for another spinning reel and also under $100 but would go another $20 or so for a great deal. I bought a Fuego last year and didn't like it. I know Shimano eliminated the on off switch, so you can't back reel. For me, the more important factor is a good smooth drag. If the drag works flawlessly, the reel will last a long time. I've read the Pflueger President is a good reel and a lot like it.

Would like to see more responses from our BBC'ers.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

My suggestions at or under $100 echo those above, though I'm in the same boat as Big Al in that I did not like the Fuego. Smooth enough and the drag was good, but I had some frame flex when fighting some bigger fish that made me feel uneasy.

For my money I'd be looking at a Daiwa BG 2500. The 2500 in that reel is a little bigger than some others, so if you tend to like a 3000 size you should be happy with it. It retails at $120, though a quick Google search shows DiscountTackle has it on sale for $100 right now so I suppose it can be had in the budget! They're insanely smooth, have an excellent drag, and they're overall just a really solid feeling reel. I think a lot of that can be chocked up to the handle screwing directly into the frame, and the reel being designed as a saltwater reel which means it's sealed up really well and has an oversized main gear. The only con is that it runs a little heavy, though that's never been something that bothered me with spinning reels like it might with casting reels. Here's an extremely detailed writeup on the BG if you're so inclined: https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/bg16.html

I had a Tatula LT (retail $200) that I sold because I just liked my BGs better. I've got a Luvias that I would say is better (retail $350), but the difference is narrow. It's not until I get to the Certate (retail $450) that I feel there's a notable difference. Clearly we're waaay past comparing apples to apples at that point though!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    Drew is right. The BG is an extremely smooth reel

11. Member
    if you want to spend a little more, I found these to be fantastic. Normally I kept mine around $100, but slight upgraded to these

Lew's Custom Pro Speed Spin Spinning Reel
    Lightweight, powerful, and tournament-ready, the Lew's Custom Pro Speed Spin Spinning Reel utilizes a range of Lew's most advanced technologies to deliver the very best in dependable, quality driven performance.

$139.99

12. Member
    Id watch for a used Stratic or Ballistic on the site.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

Evidently Shimano has listened to the fishermen. They put the anti reverse switch back on the new Sahara FJ. They also built it with a screw in handle which makes a big difference. Sold me on it.

cancelled this one
    Last edited by Big Al; 07-25-2022 at 05:56 PM.

14. Member
    I would second DrewFlu33, in the Diawa BG2500. I have 3 and all are very smooth and have a good drag. I recently saw them for 100$ on Amazon, so just keep an eye on them and you should be able to get one for your price point.
    2019 Nitro Z19 Sport with 150 Four stroke
    Swinging bass in the front
    and wake boards and tubes off the back

15. Member
    If you aren't opposed to ordering from Japan I would recommend the 21 Daiwa caldia which is essentially the same reel as the new ballistic. Japan lure shop has them for $120-$130 depending on the size you want. I have 3 of them in the 1000s, 2500s and 3000 size and like them better than the stradics.

16. Member
    I know everyone likes the light weight reels, but for around that price the newer Okuma ITX has been an absolute work horse reel for me on river smallies up here in WI. Not the heaviest reel, but also not the lightest. Worth the money IMO... My next reel of choice is the Daiwa Procyon AL, another reel that doesn't get highlighted because its not super light weight, but man its a fine reel.

Quote Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post
    If you aren't opposed to ordering from Japan I would recommend the 21 Daiwa caldia which is essentially the same reel as the new ballistic. Japan lure shop has them for $120-$130 depending on the size you want. I have 3 of them in the 1000s, 2500s and 3000 size and like them better than the stradics.
    Curious as to when you bought from Japan? The way things are right now would you get it in a few days, weeks, months? I purchased my Scorpions years back from Japan.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Curious as to when you bought from Japan? The way things are right now would you get it in a few days, weeks, months? I purchased my Scorpions years back from Japan.
    I got a new Exsence back in May from Digitaka, shipped and was at my door within 3 or 4 days which has been the case for all the reels I've ordered from them.

19. Member
    I own a couple daiwa bg reels. Very impressed with them. Hard to beat for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Even though I'm not the one you're asking, I'll chime in. My orders from Japan have always showed up very quickly. In fact, they often show up quicker than a domestic shipment would get them here. I do live relatively close to MSP and its big DHL terminal which may accelerate things a little, but I think it's probably getting product to the US that would have you worry. Just as an example I've ordered on say, a Sunday night (Monday late morning/early afternoon in Japan) and had it on my doorstep Wednesday morning. This happens more often than not, and I'm not sure I've ever had it take more than a week.

I think the only time you'd really need to be concerned is if it was being shipped by sea. In that case you'd be looking at a month+ even in "normal" times, so not something that makes much sense for a tackle order, especially with the low cost of shipping it by air.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast