Ignition switch issue? 1999 Mercury 50 hp two-cycle carb? serial number 1B775262

My switch is in the control box. It has become "iffy". Starts most of the time, then it will go "dead" occasionally. Jiggling it works sooner or later. I am concerned about getting stuck in the middle of the lake due to the switch.

On the advice of an old friend who was my boat mechanic in another State, I sprayed some silicone and then some PB Blaster into the switch. That helped for a while. But, we are back to the switch being unreliable.

I bought a new switch and installed it but it didn't work. Another buddy, who was an electrician by trade (and does some work on boats) came by. After doing some checking, he said the new switch was faulty. I returned that switch.

I then bought a Quicksilver switch for about double the price of the first one. I put it in and it doesn't work. I put the old switch back in...and it works....but is still "iffy". Now, I either have the wrong "new" switch or I am the unluckiest guy in the world to get two new switches that don't work. The switch I bought (both times) was # 87-17009A5

If there is a way for me to check out the new switch with an ohm meter, I can do that. I simply don't know which wire colors do what... coming out of the back of the switch.

Any help much appreciated.
    regards, richg99

2. Member
    continuity between red and yellow with red strp in start position , you do know there is a neutral saftey switch in control box ??????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thanks....for some reason, I didn't get an alert that anyone had responded.

Yes, I do have a neutral safety switch in the control box. I had to "jiggle" it once when the control box was open to get it to fire. I was considering just replacing it while I was at it. How to find the exact replacement switch is the next issue.

I'll try the continuity test and report back here in a bit. thanks again.

p.s. After I replaced the old switch I am back to "iffy" ... now, the motor won't shut off without my using the "deadman" switch. I must have swapped some of the purple wires??? I will try the continuity test on the new switch in a few minutes.

4. Member
    OK I get continuity between red and red/yellow when I turn the switch to START.

5. Member
    Oh, just so you know that I am not too cheap to have this job done professionally, the local Boat Guy is FIVE weeks out and taking Reservations! I'm only here in the Summer and five weeks is about half of the time I have left. Another local Boat guy won't work on anything buy Tahatsus and Suzukis.

6. Member
    Would this be the correct neutral safety switch that I would need? https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Marin...7137792&sr=8-3

7. Member
    looks to be correct part number contact merc dealer /
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Oh, just so you know that I am not too cheap to have this job done professionally, the local Boat Guy is FIVE weeks out and taking Reservations! I'm only here in the Summer and five weeks is about half of the time I have left. Another local Boat guy won't work on anything buy Tahatsus and Suzukis.
    and i dont do anything but MERCURY 2 storkes and OPTIMAXES

9. Member
    I've ordered the replacement Neutral Safety switch. After it arrives, I will, once again, swap the old and the new ignition switches. I will pay particular attention to the ground. One of the other times that I swapped the switches, even the OLD switch wouldn't work. I tightened down on the ground screw (which holds four lugs) and then the OLD switch worked fine.

I did get an appointment with the local guy for July 25!!!!. If I am successful, I'll call and cancel and let someone else get their boat worked on a bit earlier. If I am not successful, I'l let the pros do it.

Sure is a puzzle that the old one works almost all of the time and the new one doesn't.

10. Member
    agree ,on puzzle