Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does anyone work at GE appliances?

To make a long story short, We bought an expensive (to us) fridge, $3700. we have dealt with lesser but could finally afford something nice. After 6 months the freezer died. Called in for warranty and it took two weeks for them to come out. Have to order parts. Three and a half more weeks go by, and they come in and replace the compressor. Don't understand why as the fridge was still cold, the freezer was not. They finished and left said your all set. next day the freezer was fine, the fridge was dead. called back again. GE tech came out two weeks later and said he didn't understand why they changed the compressor, that the three-way valve was no good. Order's part. Another week and a half go by, and he comes back and changes the part. Still no fridge. He needs someone else to evacuate the freon and he orders another part. Another Week goes by, and they come back, work on it again and says we are all set. That was Friday.

Now my freezer is dead again. The phone reps refuse to let us talk with anyone higher up. I have contacted the attorney general's office and started a complaint.

Does ANYONE know someone that may listen to our complaint and discuss that we need this replaced after two months of this?

Just a last-ditch effort to try and get this resolved as my wife is going out of her mind with this foolish thing. Appliances are sure not what they used to be and the same goes for customer service... (She is on the phone with them again now).

Thanks for letting me vent guys and gals.

Hope your summer is going well.

2. Member
    No but maybe call your local news station to see if they will run a story on it and or do a Youtube video of it and notify corporate that if they do not resolve you will post it for all to see. Maybe they will not like the negative press and do something about it.

3. Member
    This is a reason why If possible appliances purchased will be the bare bones as less possibilities of problems will arise.

4. Member
    The way things are now . Our internet kept going off then back on . This went on for about 3--4 days. Called Windstream was told 3 weeks for a tech to come out . I called 4 different times (over an hour each call) on this and each time got no where . I finally got a supervisor, she tried to help , but they kept feeding her a line of crap too. Tech finally showed up friday . Took him less than an hour to fix it. I told him about how crappy cust serv is and he completely agreed, he said he has to go thru same thing when he has to call them . WTH that is crazy. Tech was great , cust serv sucked !!!
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratofast View Post
    This is a reason why If possible appliances purchased will be the bare bones as less possibilities of problems will arise.
    Yep, we tried a few fancy newfangled appliances. It was a costly mistake that won't be repeated.

I hope the OP gets answers soon!

6. Member
    If freezer is working and refrigerator isn't, it sounds like the defrost timer or heater isn't working. Could also be the circulating fan in the freezer.

7. Member
    Call who you got it from. In this state it is their primary responsibilty to repair or replace. I put $20,000 in new windows in my house and they were all scratched and paint missing. A simple letter mentioning the laws had new windows in hand within a month. I think it’s chapter 93A general laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    No but maybe call your local news station to see if they will run a story on it and or do a Youtube video of it and notify corporate that if they do not resolve you will post it for all to see. Maybe they will not like the negative press and do something about it.
    Tried that. No response from the news agency. It's just their attitude of " we have your money, we don't care if it works or not".
    I went through this realization when I owned a Pinpoint unit. I lost my temperature sensor. I called pinpoint and they referred me to one of their repair centers. I sent it out and they said it was the sensor and replaced it. sent it back. Then Brunswick bought them. Had another issue after the sale. Called them and they wanted $50 up front to assign a " return authorization number" Sent it back with the number and got the now famous response of " it's not fixable but we will sell you a refurbished one".
    Companies these days do not want you or anyone else to be able to fix ANYTHING. They want you to give up and keep buying new which is how they keep their profits getting larger every year.

9. Member
    Any chance you purchased it on an American Express card?
    Or maybe a card with a similar product guarantee/warranty?
    We use ours specifically for the benefit. Worth checking.

10. Member
    Here is the law. I am sure your scenario fits in here.

The Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act, as codified in Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A, Sections 2 & 9, specifically prohibits “unfair or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce … See, G.L.c. 93A§2(a).

A violation or breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing constitutes an unfair or deceptive act for the purposes of Chapter 93A. See, Anthony’s Pier Four Inc. v. HBC Associates, 411 Mass. 451, 474; 583 N.E.2d 806 (1991). Every contract in Massachusetts “is subject to an implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing which provides that neither party shall do anything what will have the effect of destroying or inuring the right of the party to receive the fruits of the contract”, See, Massachusetts LNG, Inc. v. Industrial National Leasing Corp., 1998 WL 374930 (Mass. Superior Ct. 1998); Anthony’s Pier Four, Supra. Under this covenant, parties to a contract are obligated to deal with each other honestly and in good faith with respect to both the performance of the contract and the enforcement of the terms of the contract. Id.
    A violation or breach of the implied warranty of merchantability constitutes an unfair or deceptive act for the purposes of Chapter 93A. See, Alcan Aluminum Corp. v. Carlton Aluminum of New England, Inc., (1993) 617 N.E.2d 1005, 35 Mass.App.Ct. 161, review denied, 621 N.E.2d 685, 416 Mass. 1105. cf., Lewis v. Ariens Co. (2000), 729 N.E.2d 323, 49 Mass.App.Ct. 301; review granted, 737 N.E.2d 467, 432 Mass. 107; reversed 751 N.E.2d 862, 434 Mass. 643.
    A violation or breach of implied and express warranties constitutes an unfair or deceptive act or practice for the purposes of Chapter 93A. Alcan Aluminum Corp. v. Carlton Aluminum of New England, Inc., (1993) 617 N.E.2d 1005, 35 Mass.App.Ct. 161; review denied, 621 N.E.2d 685, 416 Mass. 1105.
    Failure to disclose any fact, disclosure of which may have influenced persons not to enter into a transaction is a violation of G.L.c. 93A. Grossman v. Waltham Chemical Co. (1982) 436 N.E.2d 1243; 14 Mass.App.Ct. 932; review denied, 440 N.E.2d 1177, 387 Mass. 1102.

11. Member
    dad/mom had a GE fridge bought new. broke down twice in first 6 months and ruined everything in it including dads insulin they gave him a loaner because parts took so long to get and dad also bought a mini to use as a back up for meds. . about 12 months old it died again and after many angry calls to lowes they replaced the entire fridge with a different model and it had no issues at all.

I have GE ovens but will never but one of their fridges after that mess
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I thought the solution to customer service issues is to reach out to them via twitter.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shephyk...h=3dc44c1849f2

13. Member
    Our GE was junk within a week. The store replaced it with another.
    Same problems, service man couldn't do anything. Had the store come and get it.
    Now have a LG and have been happy with it.

14. Member
    Is it a Cafe series?
    Mine is and it shit the bed 3 months ago...its less thsn a year old

My freezer also died at 6ish months...the rest still worked ok
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

15. Member
    We take a different approach ... color, check, size, check, least expensive, check.
    Compressor, insulated box, lighting ... that's the one. Deliver it please. $900.

16. Member
    Sorry to hear that your family has to go through this BS, I would call the store and tell them to replace it. This is all too common these days and seems to be getting worse, all our major appliances ( Whirlpool washer/dryer, stove, fridge, dishwasher and microwave) are over 23 years old and still working !
    Last edited by FrancoCialone; 07-18-2022 at 11:49 AM.

17. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Shitty products, shitty supply chain and shitty customer service are the name of the game with everything these days. We replaced all of our kitchen appliances with GE (dishwasher, microwave, stove, oven and expensive to us $2,300 fridge) four years ago. Fortunately we've only required one service call on the fridge and everything is working fine so for now I have nothing to complain about. I'm with the others on calling the folks you bought if from and raising hell. Hope you get if figured out and resolved

18. Member
    The company I was with used to build GE and Hotpoint water heaters. We had a dedicated call center (contracted) that handled all the GE calls, so I have seen many cases like yours, just with water heaters. There are some things you might do to prompt some action. First....did you ask to speak specifically with the agent's manager? Even with our contracted center, an agent refusing to pass a customer up the chain upon requst would be in trouble. If you talk to one that wont, hang up, call back. Odds are you will get a different agent to try again.

Ask for an email contact to send one to someone high up there. You may be able to find the info online.

Go back to or contact the place of purchase. Tell them your troubles and that you want to return the unit. Go up the chain there if needed. Some places may in fact allow you to return it (in most cases it would be for an exchange or a store credit). But if they wont, many times in an ongoing case such as yours they will contact GE on your behalf. Also be sure to explain that your tech that's been there has not fixed the issue after multiple attempts, and coninue to lobby for the return. Hope this helps and good luck with it. I know it is frustrating. After spending 15 years in tech support resolving cases just like yours, I find I have little patience with customer service folks that don't care.

19. Member
    The problem is that GE appliance is no longer owned by General Electric, I believe it was sold back in 2015 or 2016 . It's owned by a Chinese company call " The Haier Group". Not to say that those appliances are bad , but I heard that their customer service needs major improvements . I hope that you can get your issued resolved and soon, but these days it seems that it takes forever to get anyone to move their tails for anyone else, including their customers.

20. Member
    I had numerous issues on my Samsung (same problem with freezer not keeping it cold enough, ice maker not working or freezing up, ...). After 2 years of dealing with warranty / service techs, we got a full refund of 2.2K. I bought the high end GE and also 6 yrs of warranty. Don't give up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast