Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UP Michigan vacation ideas

Kids want to head to the Great Lakes area. We will be heading out from Oklahoma, late summer. Can go any number of ways. Straight North up through Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, or could go through St. Louis, Chicago way, or even head to Tennessee area then up. Obviously this could be some kind of loop as well. Don’t have to come back the same way we go. Just looking for fun things to see or do on the way and even for suggestions up around Mackinaw City or Sault St. Marie area.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

2. Member
    Mackinac island for a day, soo locks, tauquamenon falls, shipwreck museum just north of Paradise, Kitchitikipi spring in manistique, toonerville trolley in seney, pictured rocks in Munising and finally swing through the keewenaw, copper harbor.

https://www.uptravel.com/things-to-d...itch-iti-kipi/

Seeing a packers practice or a lambeau tour is kind of cool.

The UP has extensive mining history with many iron and copper mines. There might be some touristy things for that there.

There is a lot of wilderness in the UP with a lot of pine trees. There are also a ton of offroad trails for ATVs, Side by sides, dirtbikes, and snowmobiles in the winter.

Winter time is something else there...the Keweenaw peninsula gets an absurd amount of snow. Like solid snow depth to your shoulders in early Feb...no drifts, just straight up snow depth. The ski hill in Hancock/Houghton has melting snowpiles from plowtrucks most years into July because they have so much.

4. Member
    My wife just returned this evening from there. She did almost everything that cast for cash suggested. Pictured rocks were her favorite. She suggested to book the boat ahead of time for Pictured Rock. It booked up fast. Munising was her favorite town to visit. She stayed at The Beach Inn Motel in Munising. Also pack snacks and drinks because once you go past the bridge in Mackinac things get a little scarce. She also went to Oswald Bear Ranch. She got her picture taken with a cub and do feedings. It is located in Newberry.

5. Member
    Pictured rocks in Munising, along with a handful of falls in the area, Negaunee iron industry museum
    , cliffs shaft museum in Ishpeming, Soo Locks in SSM,
    Mackinac Island, Quincy mine tour in Hancock, Haanka homestead on the way up there.
    ore dock in Marquette, maritime museum in Marquette, Lakenenland in Harvey. Sugarloaf mountain if you are up for a hike.
    Can sign up for a tour of the underground Eagle Mine in Big Bay.
    The list goes on.

Sorry for the poor layout and grammar of my paragraph, was just rambling.

6. Member
    I’ll second the Soo Locks and tahquamenon falls. Also pictured rocks is really cool. If you are into camping or hiking Grand Island is worth a visit. If you have time for fishing the UP has some great smallmouth fishing.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    The Shipwreck Cruise(Glass Bottom Boats) out of Munising is also a good trip agree with every other suggestion by the BBC Travel Staff

Michigan is cool! Great fishing too...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Member
    Wow! I haven’t done a lot of research yet but I have heard of none of these so this is great! Thanks for all the suggestions.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

10. Member
    The Mystery Spot and pasties

All my fellow Michiganders have suggested all the great spots already so follow their suggestions and you’ll have a great trip. Enjoy our state.

11. Member
    The trip around Lake Superior is a beautiful vacation. The views, the Soo Locks, Keweenaw Peninsula all the way up to Copper Harbor. The Porcupine Mountains with the Lake In The Clouds. There is so much to see up there it is really worth the trip.

12. Member
    Fort Mackinac, Soo Locks, and Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point. We stay at the Ojibway at the Soo. Nice place
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

13. Member
    Copper peak ski flying hill, falls at black river harbor, and lake of the clouds are all in my back yard. If heading out on at trails bald mountain area by little girls point is a must see

14. Member
    Kitchitkipi Spring in Manistique is really cool.

15. Member
    Kansas Cosmosphere & Salt Mine museum here in town, you get to go down into a salt mine

16. Member
    agree with all these..

17. Member
    I'm originally from Michigan, and I think people have hit on most of the big ones like Pictured Rocks and Tahquamenon falls. Keweenaw peninsula is also another beautiful area. My recommendation though would be to go different routes on the way up and back. You could go up through Wisconsin, and either cross in the UP or there is a ferry that goes across Lake Michigan from Milwaukee. Then come back down the west side of the state. Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Traverse City, and the scenic highway are all awesome to see and have quite a few interesting spots to visit.

18. Member
    Lake of the clouds is really cool and copper harbor is nice little town to visit

19. Member
    We were thinking about heading up that way from the DFW area, thought about going to Sturgeon Bay and then on up to the UP, never been in any of that country, any suggestions are greatly appreciated, we will be traveling in a motor home towing a truck. It is going to be there or we may go to Glacier National Park.

Love me some GNP. My brother (lives just south of there) said due to late snow, Going-To-The-Sun road was not fully opening until way late this year, possibly August.
    If you haven't already made reservations you're probably going to have problems as far as accommodations, all the national parks are overcrowded now.

The U.P. is great as well, we've stayed on the Cisco chain several times. Lots of waterfalls in the area. A side trip to the Apostle islands is nice as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast