Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Member
    Staying active and prepping food is hard, being overweight is hard. Pick which kinda hard makes sense for you.

2. Member
    I’m still trying to gain some weight. Gained 15 pounds since my back surgery. Need another 5 Hard for me to eat enough to keep gaining I don’t drink alcohol. No sodas. Cut back on bread. Overall eat pretty healthy

3. Member
    Wow, you said it so beautifully, I choose to train hard and cook the right foods. I started it with https://betterme.world/articles/4-days-diet-plan/, actually it's not as hard as it seems, the main thing is to start, choose your start.
    Last edited by jacobss; 04-29-2024 at 05:20 AM.

4. Banned
    I made this change and it really helped me a lot. I eat real foods most of the time and I eat my favorite indulgences once in a while. I rarely eat sugar (except for fruit) unless I'm having a treat. The other thing that probably helped me the most, is just changing the flours that I eat. You'd be amazed at what doing just this one simple thing will do for you. Instead of white flour or wheat flour, I use almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, and cassava flour to name a few. Takes a little getting used to but I really don't mind them now. Good luck.

5. Member
    It's a battle for me. I was drinking about three bottles of soda a day. I have cut it out. Still drink way to much milk. I will have a pop once in a while if out for dinner or something like that. Just in cutting the pop I have lost about 5 lbs in two weeks. I have my second child coming and I want to get back down to 200lbs. I have about 40 to go.

6. Member
    I recently dropped 35 lbs in less than 6 weeks for surgery. Lost the first 10 strictly on willpower cutting out bread and sugar and the rest while on phetermine. That stuff gives you unreal energy and you won't even think about food. Had to get off it 2 weeks prior to surgery and gained 3lbs back in that 2 week period because I was used to eating so little at that point. 2 weeks post surgery now and still skinny as hell. Trying to put it all back on now.

7. Member
    I've lifted weights or done some type of training about every day for over 40 years but in spite of that my weight has crept up as I aged. I've done the grilled chicken over salad low calorie thing in the past and did not want that. I had to be a sustainable way of eating or why change. I went for a low glycemic way of eating 3 years ago and lost all my weight and it is not coming back. When someone asks me what this means I jokingly say bourbon not beer, fried shrimp not pizza, sweet potato not regular potato.

Basically I'm taking the things my body turns into sugars and throws into my blood rapidly out of my diet. The net affect is I don't fuel my body primarily from carb calories and for me I don't get hunger cravings. Last week while fishing, I ate at 5am then again about 4pm with a protien bar in the middle.

Breakfast is the meal where I try to get most of my carbs in the form of OJ, oatmeal, fruit but I'm also always having 4 whole eggs. A bad meal out on vacation would be fried shrimp with a salad. Nuts are my snack of choice or a cheese stick. Likely I eat less calories on ths style of eating as I don't go through bags of chips. I've not purchased a soda for home in over a decade.

This approached has worked for two friends of mine with very different body types. I don't know if it would work for all but most of the ALL won't really eat this way and throwing in breads and sweets is going to make this approach fail; like putting a nail in your tire then saying the tire won't work.

I've found this an easy lifestyle change that makes me look better and I move better. I guess move is about lower inflamation
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

8. Member
    Are you lifting weights? I can't stress how important that is. more so than cardio and somewhat diet. Muscle mass burns calories around the clock. A calorie deficit will reduce your weight for sure but will also decrease your muscle mass which in turn hinders fat loss.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Bass View Post
    Are you lifting weights? I can't stress how important that is. more so than cardio and somewhat diet. Muscle mass burns calories around the clock. A calorie deficit will reduce your weight for sure but will also decrease your muscle mass which in turn hinders fat loss.
    I agree this is important. It won't work off a pizza & coke but it beats not having much muscle mass.
    2024 Phoenix 818

10. Member
    I see so many people at the gym that have been there for years that never look different. That do so much cardio and very very little weight training. I get asked quite often How I am able to maitain my muscle and never get fat. They are always puzzled when I tell them to do less cardio, lift with purpose and intensity, and count their calories.
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

11. Member
    I see so many people at the gym that have been there for years that never look different. That do so much cardio and very very little weight training. I get asked quite often How I am able to maitain my muscle and never get fat. They are always puzzled when I tell them to do less cardio, lift with purpose and intensity, and count their calories.
    I love it and agree. But for the 45+ crowd who did not start lifting at age 15, I think overthinking muscle mass can delute. i've got two close friends who are active but never lifted a weight for more then a week in there lives and both lost a ton of weight just eating low sugar and walking. Walking can be considered cardio but I see it as just great movement.

Picking up on your gym no result theme. I see countless people talking about complex weight loss strategies, arguing body types, etc yet very few ever say they actually got fit or hit the goal. Most often I see posts on other boards asking if someone has tried some new low sugar desert or some low fat food. Meanwhile I don't count calories, I don't sit around thinking about my next food nor trying to avoid fat and I have hit my goal. I weight what I did when Ronald Reagon was President.
    2024 Phoenix 818

Come on over to "time to lose" section and help motivate me.......good job so far on your journey.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    I love it and agree. But for the 45+ crowd who did not start lifting at age 15, I think overthinking muscle mass can delute. i've got two close friends who are active but never lifted a weight for more then a week in there lives and both lost a ton of weight just eating low sugar and walking. Walking can be considered cardio but I see it as just great movement.

Picking up on your gym no result theme. I see countless people talking about complex weight loss strategies, arguing body types, etc yet very few ever say they actually got fit or hit the goal. Most often I see posts on other boards asking if someone has tried some new low sugar desert or some low fat food. Meanwhile I don't count calories, I don't sit around thinking about my next food nor trying to avoid fat and I have hit my goal. I weight what I did when Ronald Reagon was President.
    Me at 43 oct 2018
    oct 2018.JPG

Me at 48 as of march 2024
    March 2024.jpg

I had lost size in the past 5 years, but that is hard to defend with age. However, I am still able to maitain a lot of muscle mass through weight lifting. I enjoy helping people with there goals. Even if it's just simply improving their health. I will always maitain that weights and a diet of high protein, moderate carbs and fat is the deal. Most people simply don't give it enough time. If anyone is serious about getting in shape and improving I will gladly write up a routine and help with diet, all for free, just because I want to see people get better.
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

14. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I just updated my "15% Off" thread with the latest results (https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1247486) - essentially I'm done losing and am going into maintenance mode.

I'm looking into adding some basic weight stuff to the activity mix because bike riding can get pretty boring and I need something else I can do at home. I have zero interest or plans on going to a gym.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Poke View Post
    Come on over to "time to lose" section and help motivate me.......good job so far on your journey.

Motivation will not get it done. Discipline is what it takes.

16. Member
    Me at 43 oct 2018
    oct 2018.JPG

Me at 48 as of march 2024
    March 2024.jpg

I had lost size in the past 5 years, but that is hard to defend with age. However, I am still able to maitain a lot of muscle mass through weight lifting. I enjoy helping people with there goals. Even if it's just simply improving their health. I will always maitain that weights and a diet of high protein, moderate carbs and fat is the deal. Most people simply don't give it enough time. If anyone is serious about getting in shape and improving I will gladly write up a routine and help with diet, all for free, just because I want to see people get better.

Awesome! Okee Poke has created a thread, how about we take topics over there.

On your results, keep it up. Just looking at the shape of your shoulders tells me part of why you get great results. I'm about a decade ahead of you and find that small injuries and joint pain are the reasons I'm loosing mass. When i was about your age, I dropped my weight workouts to 3x weekly and picked up golf exercises that are yoga like on off days. I stopped running and went to walking or hiking. All to improve my ability to sustain. I never had a weight lifting related injury until I was about 43 then last year I had a microtear in my bicep just swinging a golf club. Time finds us all.
    2024 Phoenix 818

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Motivation will not get it done. Discipline is what it takes.
    Truer words were never spoken.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    Awesome! Okee Poke has created a thread, how about we take topics over there.

On your results, keep it up. Just looking at the shape of your shoulders tells me part of why you get great results. I'm about a decade ahead of you and find that small injuries and joint pain are the reasons I'm loosing mass. When i was about your age, I dropped my weight workouts to 3x weekly and picked up golf exercises that are yoga like on off days. I stopped running and went to walking or hiking. All to improve my ability to sustain. I never had a weight lifting related injury until I was about 43 then last year I had a microtear in my bicep just swinging a golf club. Time finds us all.
    I been doing this a long time, starting lifting about 18-19 and then power lifting and then bodybuilding and have kind of stuck with that. Now I don't do the restrictive diet like I did 20+ years ago but it's still on point. This past fall I decided to do a mini bulk and added about 7 lbs. I now weigh 157 lbs. I have recently began a mini cut to trim off 5 lbs. My cardio is a brisk 15 min walk at 3.5 incline 3.8 mph. 4x a week. I also use a step counter and try to hit at least 13000 steps a day including my cardio.
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

19. Member
    Weight loss drugs

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour2u View Post
    Weight loss drugs
    can be very very dangerous
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045