Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Running in shallow water.

How shallow are you comfortable running on plane? I'm running a 17 Z520c.
    Last edited by Tone357; 09-03-2022 at 11:22 PM.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    The shallowest I've run on plane is around 3'-4' on LSC. I've done it that shallow in my 2009 Z520, my 2018 Z520L and in my current boat.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The lake I grew up on [figuratively, because we lived several miles away] has several areas with extensive flats in 2.5 feet of water, but thankfully no stumps or other hard objects. I ran both of my 520s on plane in those areas without concern. Otherwise, I’d have been idling for a very long time before reaching deeper water. The bigger concern is getting up on plane coming out of a feeder channel into those shallow flats, but again, if there are no known hard objects [it is a mucky bottom], just get it up and going as quickly as possible. Even in 2.5 feet or so, propped appropriately, you should be fine. Caveat emptor if you hit something, however!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

If you don't like shallow water, don't go to Okeechobee.........

5. Member
    I don’t want to thread jack in any way but it seems relatively on point to main topic. If you are running about in some shallower water is it better to get on plane or to just idle thru? (assuming no stumps, debris, etc). The reason I ask is 1 inexperience, but 2 I was out last week and found some pretty shallow water while scouting some fall fishing areas (2-3’). I did not beach the boat but I noticed behind the motor a lot of mud/brown kicking up. I trimmed up some and kept chugging thru but pretty sure I sucked some up as I noticed later I lost water pressure. It’s probably like a 75 yard long area to pass over to get where I wanted. Better to keep on plane and go over or slow down and trim up?

6. Member
    If you are aware of whats out there to hit, or lack of cover I'd run it 99R.

7. Member
    It’s just flat soft muck/sand. Maybe some sparse grass here and there.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I don’t want to thread jack in any way but it seems relatively on point to main topic. If you are running about in some shallower water is it better to get on plane or to just idle thru? (assuming no stumps, debris, etc). The reason I ask is 1 inexperience, but 2 I was out last week and found some pretty shallow water while scouting some fall fishing areas (2-3’). I did not beach the boat but I noticed behind the motor a lot of mud/brown kicking up. I trimmed up some and kept chugging thru but pretty sure I sucked some up as I noticed later I lost water pressure. It’s probably like a 75 yard long area to pass over to get where I wanted. Better to keep on plane and go over or slow down and trim up?
    When I was fishing tournaments on the Ohio River on the OBTC (Ohio Bass Tournament Trail) in the 80’s & 90’s, I learned how to run shallow mud flats in the backwaters. You had to run on plane to get over them to the deeper water back in the creeks. We couldn’t idle over them because we’d draw too much water. It was a little unnerving at first but I got used to it. Guys like Charle Hartley and Gary Dees were really good at it.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

9. Member
    Thank you for the advice n2rat and ericm. I have a fairly heavy boat now so I think that’s going to be the best way for me to go about it. Always good to hear from others tho that I’m thinking right.

Welcome to our world on the Upper Chesapeake Bay. To get to the good stuff we have to often cross shallow tidal mud flats. You always run the risk of hitting a submerged log or just running out of water. Often, you have to run it if you want to get there or out. Sometimes the tide just goes out to far or you time it wrong and you are stuck.........
    It is common to be running in just over 1' to get in or out of the spot that's holding fish. I wish I had put a hydraulic JP on my boat.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

11. Member
    I've been told by more experienced boaters that if you happen to look down and find yourself in shallow water, stay on the accelarator! If you come off plain, you may find yourself stuck.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    We have a lot of shallow sand flats in eastern Nc too. The shallowest I have ran was 15”,measured with a tape,water level to the bottom. Not 15” below the keel. I started off in deeper water,ran the jack plate up and trimmed up. If you do it right,the prop loses bite,so no bow lift and the hull stays level and you’ll blow a huge rooster tail.

13. Member
    Better not shut down. Down here in s Louisiana , 5 to 6 feet is deep in the middle of the canal. Caught 10 this morning I less than 2 feet. The tidal marsh is shallow. Mouths of cuts fill in and you need to blow thru them to get to deeper water. 3’. If you drag your skeg. Don’t shut down

14. Member
    Some really good info here, thanks to all. Tone357 I hope I didn't take away too much from your thread start, it felt pretty in line with what you were asking as well, we both got some answers.

15. Member
    Some really good info here, thanks to all. Tone357 I hope I didn't take away too much from your thread start, it felt pretty in line with what you were asking as well, we both got some answers.
    Not at all!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Reminds me of a time I was running a flat and saw a blue heron standing in front of me. I got nervous and let off and found myself pushing my boat.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Reminds me of a time I was running a flat and saw a blue heron standing in front of me. I got nervous and let off and found myself pushing my boat.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

18. Member
    Grew up on Okeechobee running in 1.8’ -2.5’ is normal just trim up when you set down I moved to N Georgia years ago and these guys look at you like your nuts running in shallow water after you get stuck a few times you really no how shallow you can run, oh the memories!!!

I grew up on Okee, Toro, and Kissimmee. We thought nothing about running in shallow water. 8 feet of water is deep in Florida but some of the best fishing there is. The only bad thing about shallow water is the wear on your impeller. Sand will eat it up fast. If you are going to run shallow water a lot, get a hydraulic backplate. They're worth it.

20. Member
    3 to 4 inch’s up on a plate doesn’t help me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast