Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    If you don't like shallow water, don't go to Okeechobee.........
    LOL. That's true of most lakes in FL. I'll run through kicker trials that I know are only 18.0in-24.0in on Kissimmee and Toho.

I had a TON of confidence until this day a few years back. Last words heard......Hey Jon, check out those birds walking in the water!

Boatless

That looks like the flats Sand Bar out front of Furnace Bay??
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    1 1/2' on the Mississippi River pool 19 over a 75 yard flat to get to backwaters. Trim it up and fly !! I also knew that there were no rocks or stumps.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Yup....I was completely NOT paying attention. I even have the bar marked on my graph!
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    3 to 4 inch’s up on a plate doesn’t help me

Really? Try dropping it 3-4 inches and see how that helps LOL.

7. Member
    There is great fishing in the Springfield SD area on the Missouri river. It is true river that stretches from the dam at picks town to the upper end of Lewis and Clark. Best way to describe it is a lot of shoots and channels. I usually take it easy at first navigating into new areas. If you hit anything it's sand or muck but general rule of thumb is if you can float in it you can run in it. There are some shoots i've been into the only way in was to run the RC and flip a 180 and line up with shoot and hit it at full speed and once in shut down. The shoots can be deep (5 to 6 fow) but the mouth to get in might only be 1'.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    3 to 4 inch’s up on a plate doesn’t help me
    It's 6", and it will help you...here's how. When you take that plate up, you are able to lower the motor to a better angle. Now your boat is pushing more forward than it is down. W/O a plate your motor is trimmed all the way up, and literally pushing the ass of your boat down deeper.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

9. Member
    Ericm--ever ride with Ron Yurko back in the day on the river?

10. Member
    Was in the backwaters of the Might Miss when my buddy who has traversed this part of the river many times said to not come off plane no matter what................looked at depth gauge and it was not registering. Puckered me up a bit but only way to get back to where we needed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Was in the backwaters of the Might Miss when my buddy who has traversed this part of the river many times said to not come off plane no matter what................looked at depth gauge and it was not registering. Puckered me up a bit but only way to get back to where we needed to be.
    Absolutely like that out on the Susquehanna flats if you are still out there on a low, low tide. It's a real serious pucker factor because logs settle out there after big storm push them through the Conowingo dam.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Just get you one of these and you can run really shallow. Many years ago I used to keep two boats, glass Ranger and a jet, now I’m downsized to one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Ranger RT188 Custom Jet
    150/105 Evinrude ETEC Jet

13. Member
    16 inches in most Rangers on plane is about the shallowest I’d go. I say that in sand, muddy bottoms. I’m not nearly as brave in rocky conditions.

14. Member
    That's what I am talking about. 2-3' is deep where I fish and no paint on your skeg is a right of passage in S Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Z21-I View Post
    That's what I am talking about. 2-3' is deep where I fish and no paint on your skeg is a right of passage in S Louisiana.
    +1. My trolling motor is my depth finder, when it bottoms out, I start fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    I think I've sat in that same spot waiting for the tide to come back in. LOL

Tom

Comfortably, 2’ at WOT but will and have shot soft bottom channels less than 1. You need to make S turns back and forth keeping the nose down, trim high and maintain a good throttle. If its known to be hard bottom or loaded with wood than there is no point in risking it.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

18. Moderator
    1.5' for running and coming off pad. I literally put the motor in neutral and trim it out of the water as I come off plane to keep the prop clean.

2' for spinning up on pad with the JP all the way up.

I'm mostly on Okeechobee, and these rules only apply with a sand or mud bottom.

19. Lost in Desert.......Help
    18 inches at home over mud, 25 feet at Grand Lake (all rock). Just kidding about the 25, but I am not a fan of buying props.

20. Member
    Depends if I know the water. If so then plane if not.......jackplate raised and slow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast