Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    How often are you suppose to change tte fluids? Is there a how too also ?
    Usually when you notice the seals are failing. Replace seals and fluids. No reason to if the system works fine and isn’t leaking.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    How often are you suppose to change tte fluids? Is there a how too also ?
    Not sure if its a scheduled maintenance item. I had a leaking end cap that needed replacement.

3. Member
    I use the phillips that jigheadworm said.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipNfrog View Post
    Yeah $30 for 1 quart is price gouging imo. If there is another alternative I'll go that route.
    You have to keep in mind that most here on the BBC just pay cash for their boats and trucks.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    You have to keep in mind that most here on the BBC just pay cash for their boats and trucks.
    ask an honest question trying to save a few bucks and get berated and called a cheapskate.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipNfrog View Post
    ask an honest question trying to save a few bucks and get berated and called a cheapskate.
    Gave you a straight up answer, didn't call you a cheapskate at all. AeroShell Fluid 41.
    However, you're assuredly qualified ... along with me AND nearly everyone else here.
    Imagine the insane DOS traffic pile up if TW offered a BOGO today on all soft lures.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Gave you a straight up answer, didn't call you a cheapskate at all. AeroShell Fluid 41.
    However, you're assuredly qualified ... along with me AND nearly everyone else here.
    Imagine the insane DOS traffic pile up if TW offered a BOGO today on all soft lures.
    Wasn't referring to you or others that made a helpful addition to my question

8. Member
    I don’t blame you for not wanting to give 30 bucks a quart. I didn’t either when I bought mine so I searched just like you’re doing & found about the Phillips aviation hydraulic fluid & that’s exactly what I bought because I was what some may call cheap skating it. Now if they had offered I’d have let them buy it for me & promise I wouldn’t have made a smart ass comment about it at all until after I had used the name brand over priced stuff that they bought me.

9. Member
    Aviation hydraulic fluid is dyed red, helps to indicate leaks on aircraft.
    Unless someone had serviced it with ATF, it was aviation hydraulic.
    I think he means automatic trans fluid. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    I think he means automatic trans fluid. CJ
    I'm aware. Automatic transmission fluid isn't the correct fluid to put into the system.
    Aviation hydraulic is different & it's what is used by the various boat steering OEMs.

I'm aware. Automatic transmission fluid isn't the correct fluid to put into the system.
    Aviation hydraulic is different & it's what is used by the various boat steering OEMs.
    “Isn’t the correct fluid” or just not the suggested one? Not trying to throw daggers at ya Jim, but we’ve done this before. Even SeaStar wants customers to buy their fluids (at the higher cost), but they still say that ATF can be used as an alternative. ATF doesn’t harm the nitrile seals and has similar VIS to be quite compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    “Isn’t the correct fluid” or just not the suggested one? Not trying to throw daggers at ya Jim, but we’ve done this before. Even SeaStar wants customers to buy their fluids (at the higher cost), but they still say that ATF can be used as an alternative. ATF doesn’t harm the nitrile seals and has similar VIS to be quite compatible.
    I know several marine mechanics that use Dexron ATF exclusively. We use it also, unless the customer brings his own, or prefers to buy SeaStar from us.

(606)305-1956

manual says fluids meeting mil prf 5606h.Dexron II may be used in an emergency.

14. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Spend $50,000 plus for a bassboat or add a $1200 plus hydraulic system to your existing boat and complain about $30.......

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

15. Member
    I use hydraulic jack fluid in mine.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Spend $50,000 plus for a bassboat or add a $1200 plus hydraulic system to your existing boat and complain about $30.......
    I don’t understand the humor? A ripoff and spending more money than necessary to get what you want/need isn’t about the price tag. Why buy something for 50% more than you can get the same exact thing elsewhere from.

Next time you go out for a $100 steak dinner, let me know and I’ll sell you a $30 ice cream sandwich for dessert afterwards

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigheadworm View Post
    manual says fluids meeting mil prf 5606h.Dexron II may be used in an emergency.
    Correct ... Seastar, and others, don't make the fluid, they contract it to be produced.
    They purchase aviation hydraulic fluid from major lubricant manufacturing companies.
    It's bottled and packaged with custom labeling specifically to meet the buyer's terms.

MIL-PRF-5606H is the old specification and MIL-PRF-5606J is the current specification.
    Both are still produced, the former only in the Americas. The difference is cleanliness.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    I don’t understand the humor? A ripoff and spending more money than necessary to get what you want/need isn’t about the price tag. Why buy something for 50% more than you can get the same exact thing elsewhere from.

Next time you go out for a $100 steak dinner, let me know and I’ll sell you a $30 ice cream sandwich for dessert afterwards
    This crowd will always find something to pick on

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post

Bingo

20. Member
    Is it proper to say trans fluid.? Or is it now gender neutral shift juice.?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast