Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Chec out this jam nut make sure it’s tight, this would cause loss steering if it’s not tight! 11F2601A-33D7-4EFF-91A8-0CBE8746492C.jpeg

2. Member
    Hard to tell what you are pointing at?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    Hard to tell what you are pointing at?
    There is a jam nut just to the left of that grease alimite, it has an Allen wrench jam screw to tighten when you get the nut up tight to take the play out of the steering, this play can make chine walk worst. Its located on the starboard side of your engine in your steering system.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Staveman View Post
    I have been all over the trim and jack plate. Would start raising the jp a bump at a time then trim up and down. I have not found a combination that works. When the fuel is down about 20 gal it runs great. I mean hands off. You fill it with fuel and its back. I have 39 hours on it. I have quite a bit of experience in a bass boat. Not saying I am the best by no means but I should have been able to find the sweet spot by now. I have tried a bravo 24p too but didn't make much difference.
    If you are ever going to be up at Paris Landing i would be happy to meet you there some calm day to see what i can do. I am 100% sure i can help you out on this, fooled with boat set up all my life.

5. Member
    My last two C boats walked once you got over 70 mph. Weight distribution can be a factor i.e. try to balance your boat out with where you store things so it's not too heavy on one side or the other. Maybe this came into play when you added your rep as he balanced out the boat? Motor height as well, but since you had the rep in the boat, I assume that was checked. I'm only pointing that out because I went from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke and tried to run the 4S at the higher height and the walk was totally unmanageable. This might go without saying, but I feel like every boat is different and it may just be a matter of figuring out the unique settings of balance, motor height and trim to get it to run straight. At least that was my experience with my current boat. I honestly thought it was defective the first few times I took it out, but I have it figured out and dialed in now and it's very stable at higher speeds.

6. Banned
    I there really a need to go 65 MPH ?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky1 View Post
    YES

Quote Originally Posted by Marky1 View Post
    Irrelevant comments don’t help the OP.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Irrelevant comments don’t help the OP.

What is your trim a angle?
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

11. Member
    Mine walks at 69. It’s not too bad. It’s not like trying to drive a Bass Cat or Phoenix.

12. Member
    One thought as you said the rep is coming back out for a ride is have the rep take a run in it without you in the boat. Having the passenger may be helping to balance something that is causing it. I say this assuming that when you couldn't get it to walk with the rep and then it came back that you were solo when it came back.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    One thought as you said the rep is coming back out for a ride is have the rep take a run in it without you in the boat. Having the passenger may be helping to balance something that is causing it. I say this assuming that when you couldn't get it to walk with the rep and then it came back that you were solo when it came back.
    Thought of this after I posted above. When I first got my 2015 z119c that boat was undriveable above 68 mph as the walk was really bad. After alot of trying different balancing, props, JP Settings (manual plate) ect I was about to sell it. One random day while cleaning it up in the garage I noticed something that painted the picture to why it was walking so bad. The motor was mounted just ever so slightly a little crooked. I had 1/2 a mounting hole showing on the port side above the top edge of the JP and about 2/3 of a mounting hole showing on the starboard side.

I immediately lowered my motor all the way down and had a straight 1/4" dowel in the garage. I tapped it to the bottom of the pad and measured from center of the LU nose cone to the dowl. It was about a 3 1/2" difference. I took to dealer and showed them this and had a new JP on the boat in a week. Never had a issue after that and something that I would have never caught. I just happened to be trying to get some hardwater build up off the mounting bracket and noticed it.

14. Member
    my '22 520R with just the manual Slidemaster JP seems to perform differently based on passengers / fuel on board. Two guys + 1/2 tank = 69/71 ... just me + 3/4+ tank begins to walk @ 66/67. Trim @ 20-22 is the 'sweet' spot. My uneducated guess, this is only my 2nd Ranger, is it may have something to do with the deeper hull and more weight up front ... heavier bow struggling to lift ? Bottom line: this R boat is definitely looser @ 65+ vs. my 2011 Z519, w/ manual JP as well, which did 72 with one hand of the wheel.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinLA13 View Post
    my '22 520R with just the manual Slidemaster JP seems to perform differently based on passengers / fuel on board. Two guys + 1/2 tank = 69/71 ... just me + 3/4+ tank begins to walk @ 66/67. Trim @ 20-22 is the 'sweet' spot. My uneducated guess, this is only my 2nd Ranger, is it may have something to do with the deeper hull and more weight up front ... heavier bow struggling to lift ? Bottom line: this R boat is definitely looser @ 65+ vs. my 2011 Z519, w/ manual JP as well, which did 72 with one hand of the wheel.
    The day the Ranger rep was with me he trimmed the boat for the best performance the jack plate going by the manual gauge was at 3.25" and he had the trim at 36. Like I said in the beginning I was low of fuel. We could not make it walk. After he got out of the boat I went back out to run it. The boat was perfect. It ran up to 73, 74. I had never trimmed it that high. I had raised the jackplate that high even higher. Now when I filled it with fuel ran the next time out with the same settings it was back. I tried to adjust the trim and JP from the rep's settings for the extra weight with no luck. I have balanced the boat several different ways and even taken all my gear out, No change there either. CaymasRodney Mentioned meeting me at Paris. If the rep doesn't call me back soon I will sure take you up on that. Especially if you would bring your Caymas. If I cant figure it out I will be looking at one of them Caymas.
    2021 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    3 Garmin 1 Humminbirds
    Garmin Force Trolling Motor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    If you are ever going to be up at Paris Landing i would be happy to meet you there some calm day to see what i can do. I am 100% sure i can help you out on this, fooled with boat set up all my life.
    May take you up on that if the rep doesn't come soon. Thank you!
    2021 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    3 Garmin 1 Humminbirds
    Garmin Force Trolling Motor

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Save yourself along of time and try to find someone near you that really understands boat set ups and can drive a pad boat. Most guys that owns high performance style hulls could help.
    I will insert this again …. Someone with more experience can help you
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

18. Member
    This is my first ranger with 18 hours on it but I don’t think I could make mine chine walk if I tried. That being said I think there is just something about yours that needs to be corrected. I don’t know what to tell you to do except don’t give up , this hull is way too nice to be unhappy with it Good luck
    2022 z520r

19. Member
    With every Ranger I’ve had, the only way I could make it walk significantly was if I had the jackplate too low. Too much prop in the water tends to left the stern too much and get too much of the boat out of the water and it can walk. There is obviously a balance of all these things. You want more boat out of the water to go faster, but you don’t want to waste HP just lifting the bow by trimming too much and you don’t want too much motor in the water, slowing you down and trying to lift the stern too much and making you unstable.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

20. Banned
    Sorry about the "irrelevant comment "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast