Thread: Eyra or Puma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Eyra or Puma

Probably will start really getting serious towards end of summer but need to start thinking!
    What is your choice and why?
    Boatless

Do you prefer muscle cars (Eyra) or Luxury cars (Puma STS) when both can go fast?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    If you are limited to a 250hp then an Eyra, if not get a Puma with a 300.

4. Member
    Do you want a skinny front deck or a wide front deck? They are both awesome boats.
    Brad Krone

In all seriousness to my above post, I have ridden in both as a co-angler and both guys know how to drive a boat, specifically Basscats. The Puma rides better than the Eyra IMO. Both are awesome boats and the layout is a personal decision. If I had the cash and the room, it would be a Puma STS without hesitation.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    If you are limited to a 250hp then an Eyra, if not get a Puma with a 300.

A 300 fits just fine on the Eyra... I love my Eyra 300R combo but have not rode in a Puma STS. So I can not honestly say either way. I have drove and fished out of the old Puma and current Cougar and like the Eyra better. That is because I fish a lot of tight places from docks to Cypress tree jungles. It does not exclude open lakes, I have a house on Toledo Bend and it can get NASTY!!!. Like I said I have not been in the STS yet but can say that the Eyra lands softer in the rough stuff and will take big water equal to or better than the current Cougar or old Puma. Yes I said it. All are fast with the Eyra taking the checkered flag but i love the fact that It is maneuverable as the Sabre in and out of cover as 20 ft rig and will take big water with the best of them or better. My partner has a Cougar and it lands nowhere as soft as the Eyra. On my second Eyra and if BCB tunes a rig for me then I will be in another one. You will not go wrong with either.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

7. Member
    I just purchased a 2023 basscat Eyra maybe 2 months ago now. I sat in the puma STS and the Eyra. My opinion is this. The Eyra is an amazing boat. It’s fast, it’s perfect for how I fish by getting nosed into the bank and fishing the walkways of docks. But the only thing I don’t like too much is the cramped feeling in the driver seat. I’m 6’2 but 185lbs. Not big but not short. The Eyra, I felt cramped. When I sat in the puma, I didn’t feel as cramped. I didn’t get to drive the puma so can’t comment on how it rides in rough water but I have been very happy with my Eyra. The price difference was huge. Roughly a 14k difference with comparable electronics plus the puma was more of a wait with my dealership.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    A 300 fits just fine on the Eyra... I love my Eyra 300R combo but have not rode in a Puma STS. So I can not honestly say either way. I have drove and fished out of the old Puma and current Cougar and like the Eyra better. That is because I fish a lot of tight places from docks to Cypress tree jungles. It does not exclude open lakes, I have a house on Toledo Bend and it can get NASTY!!!. Like I said I have not been in the STS yet but can say that the Eyra lands softer in the rough stuff and will take big water equal to or better than the current Cougar or old Puma. Yes I said it. All are fast with the Eyra taking the checkered flag but i love the fact that It is maneuverable as the Sabre in and out of cover as 20 ft rig and will take big water with the best of them or better. My partner has a Cougar and it lands nowhere as soft as the Eyra. On my second Eyra and if BCB tunes a rig for me then I will be in another one. You will not go wrong with either.
    Oh I agree a 300 is great on an Eyra but some tournament circuits limit you to a 250 so that is why I suggested and Eyra because that is the best performing boat in the Basscat lineup with a 250 on it. Unless you get a Pantera 2 or Caracal with an SHO on it and flash it to a 300. The larger boats like the Lynx, Puma and Jaguar really need a 300 on them to get the best perfomance out of them.

9. Member
    Both will perform great with a 250. The eyra is far and away my favorite boat. I am getting a puma to spend time with it and be able to tell people more about it. But if I was going to get my last boat at this moment it would be an eyra

10. Member
    The boats are very different. I had a 2019 Eyra that I swapped last spring for a new Puma STS. The Eyra handled well and had a great layout for a solo angler. The deck/boat is narrow which makes it handy around docks and adds to its speed. The top speed I got out of my Eyra (250 Pro XS) was 75 with full load. The older Eyra's were faster and mine did not have a hydraulic jack plate which it needed. My Puma STS is much roomier and handles rough water a little better overall. Their is plenty of storage (more than the Eyra) but the layout is not quite as convenient IMO. The top speed is not that different with 73 mph with full tournament load and lithium batteries (same Merc Pro XS).

11. Member
    I haven’t sat in a Puma STS, but can tell you the Eyra cockpit/leg room is pretty tight, so make sure you try it on for size before buying, that said it’s an awesome rig. BTW, the Lynx has amazing leg room, Bass Cat should be using the Lynx console height and leg room dimensions as the standard template across all their models, you can stretch out and take nap behind the wheel of that thing.
    Last edited by Hydro870; 01-25-2023 at 07:49 PM.

12. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Are you referencing Puma STS or Puma FTD?
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

13. Member
    I'm new to Basscat. I currently own a Ranger TIN boat for 10 years. Other than speed, Eyra seems to narrow up front. I been looking and researching the Caracal. It seems alot better layout, due to the wide front deck. I luv the coffin deck compartments. My next boat and last will be a Basscat. I just have to decide which model. The Caracal has my full attention.

I've owned a 16-caracal, 17-puma and 21-Eyra in that order. The Puma was by far my favorite boat, and IMO it was a toss up on ride between it and the Eyra. I had both them out in nasty stuff in the 1000 Islands. I will say when on the trolling motor I almost fell out of the Eyra more than any other boat I've owned. I kept the pedal all the way forward but really did like it set up like that for jerk bait fishing, and skipping baits under docks. I would say it comes down to what your fishing needs are... If I were in the market again, I would be looking at the new cougar ftd. The center net box on the puma is pretty sweet too! Hard decision between those two.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

I've run a 2007 Puma with belly tank. (non FTD), 2011 Eyra and 2018 Tyra. Have not run a new Puma STS yet. Of the BCB's I run I liked the Eyra better. I loved the coffee lids and the day box on the 2011 better than the 2018 day box. I also like how you sit lower in the Eyra than the Puma. Always felt like I was sitting on the gunnel in the Puma vet the Eyra. Which ever you choose you'll be more that satisfied. I would suggest you ride in both and then decide.

16. Member
    It’s pretty simple really. I’ve owned both and multiple other models. Puma STS is the best riding boat by far. Top end speed difference is about 3-4 mph all considered equal. I’ve had an eyra that would struggle to make 80 and loaded wasn’t any faster than current STS. So to say the STS needs a 300 hp engine is false. When it comes to fishing the best hull is the one that fits the type of water one fishes. Open water and bank fishing puma sts. Tight spots then an eyra. If money is a consideration then get an eyra.

17. Member
    Phil, you have owned alot thru the yrs! Very well posted here. I agree with this post! Me personally, if I was upgrading EYRA all the way.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

I don't think there is a wrong answer. The STS will be a little more stable fishing platform due to extra width.

The STS and Eyra are my top two. Probably with select the STS just waiting on the engine.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

19. Member
    Phill Addison has owned and drove more BCB's then most.
    I remember when he had a Cougar that was a true 80 mph rig. Each hull is different and so is the motors.
    The Eyra and PUMA STS are VERY different rigs. It comes down to what you want out of your rig. What type of fishing do you tend to do?

Fishing with partners, big water..Puma hands down.
    Want a 20 footer that fishes like a 19 footer? Eyra.

Eyra you sit down low in the cockpit.
    Puma you feel more on top the boat. Its has a more normal sitting position.

Layout of each is very different.

It all comes down to what your wanting.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Phill Addison has owned and drove more BCB's then most.
    I remember when he had a Cougar that was a true 80 mph rig. Each hull is different and so is the motors.
    The Eyra and PUMA STS are VERY different rigs. It comes down to what you want out of your rig. What type of fishing do you tend to do?

Fishing with partners, big water..Puma hands down.
    Want a 20 footer that fishes like a 19 footer? Eyra.

Eyra you sit down low in the cockpit.
    Puma you feel more on top the boat. Its has a more normal sitting position.

Layout of each is very different.

It all comes down to what your wanting.

Don
    Coming out of a Ranger so the biggest issue is probably going to be the deck size. Unfortunately at this point I think the STS may be out of the questions so it's a matter of Puma FTD vs Eyra.
    I am in NJ so a bunch of fishing in/around docks, shallow water. I take a yearly trip to Champlain which is the biggest water I would encounter, my 518 w/200 did just fine out there 95% of the time.
    I am not a super fan of the skinny deck of the FTD or the Eyra but my thought was the Eyra would be a bit more nimble and quicker.
    I want a 20' boat this time around. Maybe I will start with an older Eyra to try. No Cat dealer near me so hard to see all the models, I have only seen a Cougar and Puma FTD and both were mid 2000s.
    Boatless

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast