Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I can appreciate the numbers and videos, it is useful information. I will tell you as an auto tech on a daily basis that 3/8 impact doesn’t hit and work like a 1/2 inch does. I have a very good amount of very good electric tools including that Dewalt impact. You can’t count on it to deliver 300 ft lbs of real world needed force. I use it a lot, but it won’t cut it on most lug nuts or things that just need a 1/2 inch.
    Good to see a real time review from some one that makes a living with their tool's. My air impacts and ratchets made me a lot of money over the years.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tx_basser View Post
    it will if you buy a Milwaukee
    Better buy a Dewalt

3. Member
    Two brands that will are Milwaukee M18 FUEL Mid-Torque Impact

DEWALT ATOMIC 20V MAX* 3/8

Both of these will my brother has a milwaukee and i have a dewalt both are the stub nose and are more compact and able to use in tight places.

4. Moderator
    My 3/8 DeWalt wouldn't but my Millwaukee 1/2 did with ease.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Milwaukee for sure will easy enough. They are making the strongest battery powered impact wrenches i've saw by far. Snapon is not close to it.
    Not anymore. The Dewalt DCF900 is the current king of the hill. Just picked one up recently. I already have a Dewalt DCF899 and an older Ingersol Rand battery impact. All are great tools, but probably a bit much for just lugnuts on cars and trucks. Might be some good pricing on the DCF899 though, given the 900 is out now.

I have several 3/8" impacts and would never even think of using one for breaking lug nuts free.
    John

The Dewalt DCF900 has 47% more torque than the 899HB or 899B. That said, I haven’t found a lug nut or a bolt that can standup to the torque of the 1/2” 899 I’m currently using. It’s a beast.
    Get the 1/2” drive size, and then put together a set of sockets for the various lugs or bolts that fit your needs.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    The Dewalt DCF900 has 47% more torque than the 899HB or 899B. That said, I haven’t found a lug nut or a bolt that can standup to the torque of the 1/2” 899 I’m currently using. It’s a beast.
    Get the 1/2” drive size, and then put together a set of sockets for the various lugs or bolts that fit your needs.

new mid sized one is plenty also
    Last edited by mactlman; 02-15-2023 at 07:04 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    I just carry a breaker bar with a socket for the lug nuts on the truck and another for the lug nuts on the trailer. Don't need to worry about a battery and it takes up very little space. Once you break it free you can spin them off by hand pretty easily. Also don't run the risk of trying to put the nuts back on with the impact and cross threading. "Everyone" knows you start it by hand and then run it, but I know some people that don't fit that particular "everyone" category.

9. Member
    No brained if buying new. Get a 1/2

I can't remember ever buying something that delivered more power than I may need and thought I shouldn't have done that, but have regretted getting something that was "adequate" many times. Boat motors, car engines, heat pumps, I always try to get the biggest available for the application and not look back. Unless price is a major issue, get a good 1/2" and peace of mind.

11. Member
    I have both 3/8' and 1/2' drive Milwaukee 18v impacts. You will want to go with the 1/2" for removing lug nuts from autos. The 3/8 will work for smaller things like golf carts and such, but not strong enough to hammer auto lug nuts loose.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I can appreciate the numbers and videos, it is useful information. I will tell you as an auto tech on a daily basis that 3/8 impact doesn’t hit and work like a 1/2 inch does. I have a very good amount of very good electric tools including that Dewalt impact. You can’t count on it to deliver 300 ft lbs of real world needed force. I use it a lot, but it won’t cut it on most lug nuts or things that just need a 1/2 inch.
    I guess I forgot where I said a 3/8 would work as good as a 1/2 would. I have the mid torque DCF891 and the bad boy DCF900. Clearly there is a difference in what tools can do and what their limitations are. I was just supplying additional data for the OP to make an informed choice.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

13. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landem View Post
    I have both 3/8' and 1/2' drive Milwaukee 18v impacts. You will want to go with the 1/2" for removing lug nuts from autos. The 3/8 will work for smaller things like golf carts and such, but not strong enough to hammer auto lug nuts loose.
    I have boyh as well but usually reach for the milwaukee 2767-20. That thing is a beast!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

14. Member
    What is wrong with just using a 4-way ???

Quote Originally Posted by wwc3 View Post
    What is wrong with just using a 4-way ???
    You need to use a 1/2” impact driver on the shoulder of a busy highway to fully understand the answer to that question.

16. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    You need to use a 1/2” impact driver on the shoulder of a busy highway to fully understand the answer to that question.
    no kidding. Not had to use mine yet for my trailer but sure have helped several boaters that were mot prepared for changing a tire
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    It is a good tool. But it struggles some with the lugs on our diesel pusher.
    John

18. Member
    I personally use Dewalt, but a couple other guys use the Milwaukee Fuel stuff and honestly you can’t go wrong with either. The big guns are almost identical as far as weight, power, and have been reliable. Just a fwiw.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    Also don't run the risk of trying to put the nuts back on with the impact and cross threading. "Everyone" knows you start it by hand and then run it, but I know some people that don't fit that particular "everyone" category.
    Good advice! I've seen a few folks cross thread things with an impact by not starting by hand. Buying anything from them, after seeing that, gets crossed right off the list of good things to do. I rarely use an impact to put fasteners on, pretty much just for removing them. The DeWalts have 3 and 4 position switches though, so I have started to use them to get stuff snug, and then finish with a torque or regular wrench.
    John

20. Member
    I went 1/2 and got a 3/8 step down should i need a 3/8th drive
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast