Scraps

Split Ring on a Worm Hook?

Opinions on this? I'm seeing it infrequently. The VMC welded ring hooks that are sold are practically the only option. I don't like the hook, has anybuddy just used a good quality split ring instead, on your hook of choice? I can see this potentially making a difference here in the super pressure shallow water we fish.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Always wondered why? Other than maketing and sku building.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Always wondered why? Other than maketing and sku building.
    It allows the bait to swivel and move more freely and not be pegged to the base of the weight.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

4. Scraps
    I think part of is also the hookup ratio, with the little gap between weight and bait, allows the fish to clamp down on the bait, as opposed to the weight, giving a better hookup ratio.
    2017 Phoenix 819

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I think part of is also the hookup ratio, with the little gap between weight and bait, allows the fish to clamp down on the bait, as opposed to the weight, giving a better hookup ratio.
    Ever watched a video of a bass eating something? They will 90% inhale the whole thing, weight and all.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Opinions on this? I'm seeing it infrequently. The VMC welded ring hooks that are sold are practically the only option. I don't like the hook, has anybuddy just used a good quality split ring instead, on your hook of choice? I can see this potentially making a difference here in the super pressure shallow water we fish.
    I added a split ring onto a couple of different EWG hooks (Gamakatsu Superline and Trokar), but haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet since our lakes are still frozen here. I think it was Seth Feider that I first heard talking about this and his reasoning for using them made sense to me. I think as long as you use a good quality split ring it shouldn't be any different than using the VMC with the welded ring. I'll see how it goes and either go back to the standard or I'll put more split rings on my worm hooks.

7. Banned
    I use on at times and also a swinghead, both have similar actions for the baits and diff than how they see it most times. The split ring really makes the weightless worm dance.

8. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Ever watched a video of a bass eating something? They will 90% inhale the whole thing, weight and all.
    Right, and you still have to pull the weight, through her lips, to set the hook.
    2017 Phoenix 819

9. Member
    Gamakatsu has a welded ring heavy offset hook that works great on soft jerkbaits. I was shocked at how much more freely a fluke would swim with the line tied to the ring rather than the hook itself. Haven't tried it with a bait that also uses a slip weight. Probably won't

Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Marketing can come up with many unique situations to make you believe you need something....not sold that it makes a difference. May even be a neagative in grass, as the weight is not snug to the plastic and will gather in the gap. If you feel the need for a separation a bobber stop betweem the weight and hook will work.
    Last edited by basscat21; 03-01-2023 at 02:09 PM.

The oval split rings would be my choice.

12. Member
    I use the VMC Ringed EWG hooks almost exclusively for t-rigs. I found a school one time on an inside turn and had a standard 4/0 VMC EWG tied on with a t-rigged plastic. I missed the hookset on three consecutive fish with a standard EWG and cut the hook off to try the ringed variety. I hooked every bite the rest of the day with the ringed EWG. From that day forward I have had way more confidence with the ringed variety vs the standard EWGs and see no reason to go back. If I start missing a bunch of fish one day on a ringed EWG I might try the standard variety again.

I don't think I would want it to be a split ring vs the welded ring. Often times the knot will eventually work its way into the split portion of the ring and I don't like that sharp edge being on my line, particularly for a t-rig where I give them a solid hookset. Eliminate variables you can control.

13. Member
    I Like the gamakatsu hooks but I don't like the split in their hooks eyes. I always tie a palmar knot on the hooks eye then slide the knot around to the slit in the eye and cut it so the knot stays in the slit or crack, then tie my knot to the hooks eye if this makes sense. IMO this prevents your knot from sliding around and getting caught in the tiny slit of the eye possible causing your line to break off.