Thread: Boat Research?

Boat Research?

What’s a good starter used saltwater boat? Something big enough to go off shore on “good” days but still can fish bays. I’m thinking center console but totally up to suggestions for my research. If you have recommendations on a website or forum that would be helpful.

thanks

2. Moderator
    Where are you planning to fish and what do you want to catch? Do you want to do beach days also? How far offshore do you want to go?

My dad and I recently went through all of this. These are the questions we had to figure out and honestly couldn’t really answer them until we started going a lot.

Well that’s part of my problem I don’t know. Would like a “hybrid” able to fish the backwater and offshore. Really think I would start off with an older boat as well so one that is made well. Like the ideal of twins but not sure how small of a boat you can have those. Im not thinking anything bigger than 26 or 24 and smaller might be better for storing and transporting. Would want a trolling motor and maybe poles. Got lots to learn.

4. Moderator
    Well we just sold a 24' Pathfinder TRS. Amazing boat and I would highly suggest you look into one. They can get skinny and I have been 10 miles offshore with it as well. Ours had a single 250 on it. You can get smaller boats with twins but they are typically not going to draft as shallow.

Any particular brands better to look at for older model boats. Basically a good solid boat that won’t have transom or stringer issues, has good hardware? Thinking bait well is a must and thinking center console but now I think about it those might be hard to store. Maybe once I get a couple brands to look at I can make a better decision. Thanks guys!

PS, understand about the twins, more weight less draft. So single does sound like the better choice till I figure out what style of fishing I like best.

Skeeters Bay, Rangers Bay. I have been on both and found them to be solid rides. Keep in mind, there isn't a boat that does it all. If you are looking at twins, you are limited at the "In-shore" options.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest