Boaters Safety course

I read that in 2025 all boaters no matter the age will have to have taken the course. Did I read that right ? I took the Coast Guard aux one in Pa but that was back in the 90's but no longer have my card so it looks like I will have to take it again.

You should be able to get a replacement card
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    Yes that is correct, all boaters need to have a boaters safety course by 2025 to operate any motorized boat.

replacements are available though, just need to give your info and they can verify you’ve taken it
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    ECobb91,

I had a charter captain license for several yrs back in mid 80-90, but I don't have any information left being that many yrs ago.
    Do you think the Coast Guard could track that info for me?
    I even had an FCC license for my VHF radio, which I still remember my issued call out "WTZ 5243"

5. Member
    Ya they should be able to track the info down, it may not be valid anymore but it’ll show in their system. Idk if it’s reciprocal with a boaters safety course but you’d think it would be since it’s more extensive

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/record_request/
    1995 Ranger 481v

6. Member
    You can give proof of the boaters safety course to the NY DMV and they will put a boat anchor emblem on your driver's license, so you won't have to carry your safety course card with you.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre Fan View Post
    You can give proof of the boaters safety course to the NY DMV and they will put a boat anchor emblem on your driver's license, so you won't have to carry your safety course card with you.
    indidnt know that was an option, might go that route thanks for the info!
    1995 Ranger 481v

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Ya they should be able to track the info down, it may not be valid anymore but it’ll show in their system. Idk if it’s reciprocal with a boaters safety course but you’d think it would be since it’s more extensive

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/record_request/
    ECobb,
    Thank you for the link and I will look into it in trying to obtain a copy of the original license. I let it go when they started to do random drug testing, which was a useless additional expense for me.
    I may take the course over just as a good refresher, do most of the rules are still ingrained in my head, which helps alot up on the River.

9. Member
    I have one but have never been checked for it.

10. Member
    indidnt know that was an option, might go that route thanks for the info!
    You're welcome!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I have one but have never been checked for it.
    I've never been checked either. It makes me think they will only check if you're involved in a boating accident.

12. Member
    Yep, I did that about 2-3 years ago. Took a FREE Boaters Course through Boat US online and then applied online to have the anchor put on my license.

13. Member
    I've never been checked either. It makes me think they will only check if you're involved in a boating accident.
    I wouldn't count on that as NYS is a Cash Grab State. The sheriff's in the county you are boating in may get the order to "go earn your keep" and they will do a blitz during a holiday weekend.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I wouldn't count on that as NYS is a Cash Grab State. The sheriff's in the county you are boating in may get the order to "go earn your keep" and they will do a blitz during a holiday weekend.
    Fortunately I've never heard of that happening yet.

15. Member
    Fortunately I've never heard of that happening yet.
    I have but by Coast Guard not county or state LEO...

I’ve been stopped by Onondaga County Sheriff on the Seneca river two years ago when the law was in effect and they never once asked for my card. But that’s not to say they won’t ask in the future. Most places The DEC just doesn’t go around pulling people over for no reason, you have to give them one. Plenty of tourists in the Adirondacks give them reasons to.

The only time I’ve had it happen out of the blue was on Lake Ontario, the coast guard would do random checks but if they saw you were trolling with lines out they’d leave you alone.
    1995 Ranger 481v

16. Member
    I have but by Coast Guard not county or state LEO...

I’ve been stopped by Onondaga County Sheriff on the Seneca river two years ago when the law was in effect and they never once asked for my card. But that’s not to say they won’t ask in the future. Most places The DEC just doesn’t go around pulling people over for no reason, you have to give them one. Plenty of tourists in the Adirondacks give them reasons to.

The only time I’ve had it happen out of the blue was on Lake Ontario, the coast guard would do random checks but if they saw you were trolling with lines out they’d leave you alone.
    I fished Lake Ontario this past Monday afternoon for salmon. I launched out of Stony Creek at 1pm. On my way back to shore I saw the coast guard boat from Sackets Harbor heading SSW past the Stony lighthouse. As he got between me and Stony Creek, about a mile off my bow, he slowed down to idle and turned towards me. I wasn't trolling, so I slowed down quite a bit, expecting to get checked. They sat idle in the water, and I turned on my navigation lights. Then they proceeded south and picked up speed. This was about 45 minutes before sunset. They went on their way without making contact with me in person or on the radio.

17. Member
    My buddy has been stopped twice in Buffalo Harbor, once by the DEC and once by the Coast Guard. I personally haven’t been checked in over 20 years but I’m prepared for more routine stops once this new law goes completely in effect in ‘24.

18. Member
    Yup … that’s what I did..
    had it put on your license.. just bring down your card
    they can add it your card .. also had my lifetime fishing added to it too

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360