Thread: Is this a Void?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this a Void?

Have this showing up along the floor on a new boat. 30 hours. I think it is a void based on the glass behind solid behind. 4 of them over a foot. My finger poked thru the glass when I noticed the cracking.

Waiting on feedback from the dealer. Just got the boat back from getting the transom repaired because Ranger mounted the jack plate with too long of bolts.

Screenshot_20230814_172354_Gallery.jpg

Yes. It is. I had one a bowrider a number of years ago. I bought that boat new too but had to fight to get it repaired under warranty. The initial report was that it was "just cosmetic." They did eventually cover it though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Thanks. That's what I thought. I am 5 weeks I to ownership(new) so the warranty shouldn't be an issue, at least I hope it isn't.

4. Member
    bubble on the gel maybe. my boat was in the shop for 4 months getting gel fixed so ranger does have issues in that area!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Figured I would post an update. Dropped boat off at Dealer in November and picked it up in February to have 3 voids fixed and 5 areas with Gel coat cracks fixed.

Trailering the boat home one crack reappeared in the exact same spot. If didn't see it wasn't there when I left with the boat I would have believed they missed it.

Between the last round of gel coat repairs, previous issues with improper motor mounting and a pinched wire harness Ranger is 15k in the warranty hole on this boat. Probably another 5k in gel coat work coming up

Been on the water 4 times. Have another repaired crack come back and another large void pop and 2 more spider web cracks.

6. Member
    I would be pushing for another boat, they can have that one back.. no way you should have that many issues with a new boat. You gave them hard earned money, they gave you a headache

Where are those cracks on the boat? Just terrible for you.

8. Member
    5 weeks! Stay on them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by link30240 View Post
    I would be pushing for another boat, they can have that one back.. no way you should have that many issues with a new boat. You gave them hard earned money, they gave you a headache
    Waiting to hear back from the dealer on next steps. Doubt they would replace

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Where are those cracks on the boat? Just terrible for you.
    Every inside radius on the top cap around the transom. I suspect more damage was done when my motor was flopping around on the back than the dealer that repaired it wanted to share.

Screenshot_20240421_200427_Gallery.jpg

11. Member

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerR72Sport View Post
    Figured I would post an update. Dropped boat off at Dealer in November and picked it up in February to have 3 voids fixed and 5 areas with Gel coat cracks fixed.

Trailering the boat home one crack reappeared in the exact same spot. If didn't see it wasn't there when I left with the boat I would have believed they missed it.

Between the last round of gel coat repairs, previous issues with improper motor mounting and a pinched wire harness Ranger is 15k in the warranty hole on this boat. Probably another 5k in gel coat work coming up

Been on the water 4 times. Have another repaired crack come back and another large void pop and 2 more spider web cracks.
    what hull? mine was in for months and goes back next sat for more gel work 519

once you own the boat you are stuck, screwed and tattooed! my dealership said they would take it back for a 15k loss months after I got it but zero hrs on it never splashed at all

Quote I found from a guy on a video about ranger issues--

I’m the senior lead over hulls lamination at Ranger Boats in Flippin Arkansas. As soon as Ranger was sold Forest Wood began opening up Vexus Boats right down the road from Ranger. They took most of the experienced boat builders with them as well. So yes we struggled for a bit, and our quality went down. We’re hiring everyday though, come join the team! I can see it getting better everyday. Defects in the hull is my main concern at work and I’ve been doing my best to put out the quality we all want. Perfection
    Last edited by mactlman; 04-21-2024 at 07:46 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by link30240 View Post
    once you own the boat you are stuck, screwed and tattooed! my dealership said they would take it back for a 15k loss months after I got it but zero hrs on it never splashed at all
    ANYONE picking up a new ranger needs to look it over inside and outside in a good light. too many issues with gel
    MAGA

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    what hull? mine was in for months and goes back next sat for more gel work 519

Quote I found from a guy on a video about ranger issues--

I’m the senior lead over hulls lamination at Ranger Boats in Flippin Arkansas. As soon as Ranger was sold Forest Wood began opening up Vexus Boats right down the road from Ranger. They took most of the experienced boat builders with them as well. So yes we struggled for a bit, and our quality went down. We’re hiring everyday though, come join the team! I can see it getting better everyday. Defects in the hull is my main concern at work and I’ve been doing my best to put out the quality we all want. Perfection
    2022 1880ms. It sucks because I got a great deal on an essentially bare boat and got to rig it how I wanted rather than getting stuck with the factory build options that I would need to strip off

However, it has been plagued with build issues. Whoever laid up the top cap left voids everywhere. I know I am going to find more after the cosmetic warranty is up. Every single Oetiker clamp was loose. Every single one. Filled up my hull faster than the livewells and was when I found out my bilge pump was wired up wrong. I more loose clamp on the splash well thru hull to fix.

15. Member
    I hate to hear what has happened to you on this boat... I really do.

Time to get a lawyer it sounds like. You may have more options than are being offered to you by the dealer and Ranger. But you will not know for sure until you get legal help on what consumer laws in your state say.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

16. Member
    2022 1880ms. It sucks because I got a great deal on an essentially bare boat and got to rig it how I wanted rather than getting stuck with the factory build options that I would need to strip off

However, it has been plagued with build issues. Whoever laid up the top cap left voids everywhere. I know I am going to find more after the cosmetic warranty is up. Every single Oetiker clamp was loose. Every single one. Filled up my hull faster than the livewells and was when I found out my bilge pump was wired up wrong. I more loose clamp on the splash well thru hull to fix.
    hopefully you have a good dealership. dixie was good on my issues but have created some lately also
    MAGA

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    I hate to hear what has happened to you on this boat... I really do.

Time to get a lawyer it sounds like. You may have more options than are being offered to you by the dealer and Ranger. But you will not know for sure until you get legal help on what consumer laws in your state say.
    The only consumer protection in Michigan is that Ranger has to continue to Honor the cosmetic warranty for 1 year from purchase. Getting a lawyer involved would ultimately cost me more than just selling the boat, which I am not going to do. It would cost significantly more to move to a different boat. While unpleasant, I will live with cosmetic issues on my fishing boat after the 1 year mark
    Last edited by RangerR72Sport; 04-22-2024 at 11:26 AM.

18. Member

the top cap was/is where all my problems are also--guy in N calif just had his 22 520r replaced also for defects
    MAGA

19. Member
    Good lord. I guess I will not be buying a new Ranger.

20. Member
    They were just in the news..

Ranger Boats cuts 70 positions at Flippin plant as high-interest rates take toll on boating industry

https://mhobserver.com/ranger-boats-...ting-industry/
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast