Thread: P.p vs. Talons

P.p vs. Talons

Which has the less maintenance and parts that have to be replaced? Pros and cons of either.
    Mike Clemons-Lake Butler, Fla..
    97 Gambler Intimidater / 200 EFI Merc

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    No Brainer... Talons are the most maintenance as well as most problematic of all shallow water anchors.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    No Brainer... Talons are the most maintenance as well as most problematic of all shallow water anchors.
    i had talons for years and never did anymore to them than rinse them out once or twice always and still working great older non BT models also
    Last edited by mactlman; 08-17-2023 at 07:32 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    I had Talons for 3 years on my former boat, and now PP for 3 years on my current boat.

PP: hold better than Talons, PP customer service is great, I've had no issues with them. Minor minuses: require hydraulic pumps, and when deployed by a dock for example, they take up room behind the boat
    Talons: worked pretty well, never had problems, and I liked the vertical deployment next to docks. The biggest plus on the Talons was that with a quick release bracket, I could actually take them off if I wanted for road trips. Minuses: Often, didn't hold great if there was any wind, I found they would drag and the boat would swing around.

Bottom line though:Next boat I'm getting Power Pole Blades again, and it's an easy choice

From my own experience having both. I've had the same 10' Talons mounted on 2 different boats. Never had 1 problem. I do take off the top cap and spray them down with pledge twice a year. Imo Talons hold stronger. Talons are heavier and don't look as good but that's different for everyone. PP are quieter for sure. My PP stomp buttons tend to to hang up little more as well.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

6. Member
    I've owned blades and talons, by current set of 12' talons are 7 years old and never a single issue with them. You can't go wrong with either option.

7. Member
    I have 10' BT talons and they have been great, but I did have to replace a board, no big deal because it was under the 3 year warranty. They are easy to install DIY and no pumps in the back, but they are heavy. I try to drop them before taking out, just to rinse the dirt off and that seems to be the only maintenance. I don't think you can go wrong with either, and I saved some $ going with talon. Although, if I had to do it again I would have gone PP. This is just my personal opinion, with the release of the raptor, seems the talon might be on its way out.

8. Member
    I too have had both. Talons are much heavier and also louder, but holding power at least for me was far superior to PP.

9. Member
    Had 12 foot Talons for over 4 years now. No problems at all. Love them

Something else to think about is height. If you have anybody you care about fish with you from the rear deck 10 footers are no higher than the top of the engine that was the deciding factor for us over poles. Had them 3 years now no issues.

11. Member
    Ive had PPs on my previous boat and now Talons on my new Skeeter. . I much prefer Talons. I fish around a lot of standing timber and had too many times PPs getting caught in limbs, brush and over stumps. Fishing close to things having to reposition the boat to put them down I did not like. I like being able to lay Talons down with the tilt brackets. Talons hold better. I hated the hydraulic pumps and hoses. Talons weigh more , how much I don't know , I don't care my Yamaha and 6.4 HEMI don't seem to care.

12. Member
    I just bought a boat with poles and have ran talons for years prior. To me the talons are superior in almost everyway. They hold better, they deploy straight down and much faster, there is no messy hydraulic fluid to clean up when the lines break and they will break. The poles are noisy in rough water and they do not deploy nearly as deep.

13. Member
    I know this question gets asked a lot on here. I have had them both my last boat came with power poles. I took them off sold them and installed Talons . going on three years and still going strong no issues.

14. Member
    I’ve never had anything but a Talon. Mine has been trouble free. I plan to upgrade to 2 new ones this winter.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

15. Member
    Have gad both Gen1 Talons & Sportsman II ppoles. Both are great products. I switched to ppoles 3 years ago because of part availability (no longer in production).

Talons held better but were much much heavier and affected performance. CB Marine foil returned my performance.

My ppole pumps leaked (seep fluid) and still do even after my ASC replaced all the o-rings. I have to use petroleum absorbent pads under them to collect the fluid. ASC is going to pull pumps and send them to ppole this winter. Other than that, ppoles have been great.9
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

16. Member
    I have had both and now run PP blades. Only thing I like about Talons was the mounts and tilt brackets to which my blades are on now. I found the Talons clunky when deploying and retracting Johnson outdoors had crappy service when I needed a new cable clip. PP service is clearly superior. As far as them being in the way for co anglers, I just half deploy or lay them down on deck.
    Risen From The Ashes!!