Lake Cayuga Algae

Me and a buddy are heading to the St. Lawrence River August 31st from Tennessee and are planning on hitting Cayuga on the way up. I've read about the algae blooms up there and was curious if it messed with the fishing? Also, do you have to avoid the algae all together? We planned on fishing the northern end of the lake which i would assume gets affected more so than the southern end. Didnt want to fish Cayuga if it was going to be a waste of a day when we could just head on to the St Lawrence. I've never been up North to fish and dont know what to expect. Any info is greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    My 2 cents fishing the north end of Cayuga , You be better off just heading right up to the St. Lawrance an extra day means a lot , TV shows make it look so easy but needs a little more understanding than it looks , Don't get me wrong great place to fish and once you understand it it's a lot of fun . Good luck and good fishing enjoy and have a safe trip .

3. Member
    The only reason we were considering Cayuga is because its about 12-13 hours from where we are in Tennessee and we planned on driving around 12 hours and spending the night somewhere just to break the drive up some. It would be hard to pass up getting a chance to fish Cayuga, but I would almost rather wake up and finish the drive to the St. Lawrence. I also dont want to fish Cayuga if it would be a wasted day. I'm sure there will be a learning curve on the St. Lawrence for sure. I fish the TN River a lot so I have a pretty decent understanding of river systems and how fish relate, but who knows we could get up there and struggle!

4. Member
    ive never had good luck during it,but some guys do good,havnt been there in a month but i would think definatly the north end and proly the whole lake,i would go the extra hour and stop at oneida,get a room at the days inn right at the exit and your 2 minutes from the launch

Wouldn’t be a wasted trip to hit Cayuga on your way by. I would possibly check out Oneida as well.

The BFL there this past weekend was won with 23lbs so it’s not fishing that bad. Mid lake is where I’d be if it was me. Good luck.

https://majorleaguefishing.com/bfl/f...t-cayuga-lake/

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    Wouldn’t be a wasted trip to hit Cayuga on your way by. I would possibly check out Oneida as well.

The BFL there this past weekend was won with 23lbs so it’s not fishing that bad. Mid lake is where I’d be if it was me. Good luck.

https://majorleaguefishing.com/bfl/f...t-cayuga-lake/
    that winning weight doesn’t tell the whole story haha it was brutal conditions this past weekend.. nearly 75% of boaters had less than 14lbs and 75% of coanglers didn’t even catch a limit, 11lbs got you a check.. My buddy came in 44th with 1 fish. People definitely have some broken equipment to attend to after that event.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    that winning weight doesn’t tell the whole story haha it was brutal conditions this past weekend.. nearly 75% of boaters had less than 14lbs and 75% of coanglers didn’t even catch a limit, 11lbs got you a check.. My buddy came in 44th with 1 fish. People definitely have some broken equipment to attend to after that event.
    Yep. The brutal conditions were because of weather and not water conditions though. 20-30mph winds directly out of the north are a bad deal on Cayuga. Been there, done that. I chose to put in my fall food plots in early instead of taking the boat out that day.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    Yep. The brutal conditions were because of weather and not water conditions though. 20-30mph winds directly out of the north are a bad deal on Cayuga. Been there, done that. I chose to put in my fall food plots in early instead of taking the boat out that day.
    I took the boat out to a southern Adirondack lake that day. Wind finder said 8-10mph wind out of the west, which would be great since the mountains would block it.. when we arrived it was 20-30mph out of the south… I had the trolling motor on 80 facing into the wind and we were going backwards. Packed up after 3.5 hours of fishing, it just wasn’t worth it.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    I just got back from Clayton this past Saturday, and the wind was in the 15mph with gust of 30mph. It started on Thursday late evening and Friday there were 4 footers all day long, and that evening wind switched to the West so I decided to pulled the boat out with the ride over to the ramp about 1.5 miles took me out of the water more than once in my 21' Cobra.
    The River can get very mean especially when the wind blows SW piling with the current. Between the rain and the wind, I was able to fish about 1/2 of the week with fishing being best on Wednesday with 2 smallies just under 6#.

10. Member
    27 lb bag won an open tournament last Wednesday on Cayuga. All largemouth, including a 7-4 lunker. Seems to be alright.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

11. Member
    Sounds like its fishing alright then! We may have to make the stop at Cayuga then

12. Member
    I’m heading there for 1 st time in 3 yrs …. So what to expect.. is mid lake fishing.. so the north end is all green

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360