West Shore Home bath remodel commercials...YIKES!

We have been inundated with these commercials lately. They proudly display some of the shoddiest work I have ever seen and I am no contractor. Tonight's commercial showed them taking the walls down to the studs and covering them with thin plywood. Shouldn't shower walls have some kind of waterproof cement board behind the finish material? They then apply some really cheap looking paneling over the plywood and caulk the seams.. Double Yikes. Who knows whatever sins they are hiding. I feel sorry for whoever falls for these advertisements.

2. Member
    Caulk covers a lot of sins. Beware.

3. Member
    Caulk and paint can make lots of shoddy work look legit.

4. Member
    I would have a hard time believing that a company that size is putting up advertising money to show work that isn’t up to code.

5. Member
    It was probably FRP panels. Is cheap, looks cheap... might be the right answer for a tight budget. Not everyone gets the promised gold Toto.

6. Member
    I agree, probably FRP. When installed correctly, creates a perfectly fine shower wall. It does look a little less appealing than a tile shower, but it is significantly cheaper and can be installed very quickly vs. standard shower construction methods. Bottom line is those showers will rinse you off the same as a 10k natural stone shower, either way just don't drop the soap....
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

7. Member
    they are very expensive
    looked at them to redo our shower. they started at 19k and came down to 14k with no bench or glass door. they use acrylic panels. there is probably 4k in materials total. 10k for labor for one day! no thanks. I'll do it myself..

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I would have a hard time believing that a company that size is putting up advertising money to show work that isn’t up to code.
    Code? These are one day jobs. Had a friend that had one renovated 12K and was told no permit needed because it’s all facial.

9. Member
    Caulk and paint hide what a carpenter aint.

10. Member
    Do not try bath fitters they are even worse. Do not ask me how I know.

Get a free one with a Tom Selleck reverse mortgage.

My wife has major issues with her feet. It got to the point it was unsafe for her to step into the tub we had. She talked with several companies and had them out for estimates. She chose Westgate. Their prices were in line with everyone else and we had an extra long bath. They showed up exactly when they said they would. They needed some additional materials that they didn’t quote and didn’t charge us extra. She’s ecstatic over they install. I have zero issues with them
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

13. Banned
    same here, as well as basement encapsulation commercials.

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    they are very expensive
    looked at them to redo our shower. they started at 19k and came down to 14k with no bench or glass door. they use acrylic panels. there is probably 4k in materials total. 10k for labor for one day! no thanks. I'll do it myself..
    window replacement folks on tv ads will say "hold my beer"

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    We have been inundated with these commercials lately. They proudly display some of the shoddiest work I have ever seen and I am no contractor. Tonight's commercial showed them taking the walls down to the studs and covering them with thin plywood. Shouldn't shower walls have some kind of waterproof cement board behind the finish material? They then apply some really cheap looking paneling over the plywood and caulk the seams.. Double Yikes.
    If you were a contractor, you'd know this product is designed to be installed just like it shows in the commercial. I've installed similar products for people who didn't want to spend the money for tile or a fiberglass enclosure when I had my construction business. Works fine when installed as directed. Is it the best solution? Depends. Does it work? Sure.
    Also, in most areas no permit would be needed for this type of work.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

16. Member
    Do your best caulk the rest

17. Member
    We used REBATH. Couple years ago. They wouldn't start until they had ALL materials in hand. 3 working days and gone, job complete!