Ranger Trail Axle

I have a 2016 z520c trailer. Rear axle needs to be replaced. Tires are leaning badly. (already checked the spindles)
    Ranger wants almost $1,000 including shipping. It is the Dexter axle. How do I figure out what the part is to get it outside of ranger? I've seen a couple of posts on it but I'm still a little bit confused

2. Member
    I replaced one of mine from hitting a bollard. I bought it from the manufacturer but I cant remember who they were. They sent a sheet to measure and send
    back to them. If I remember correctly it was around $600 but that was a couple of years ago. Craw under the boat and there should be a tag somewhere on
    the axle. Good luck

Just curious but have you changed or tightened the bolts that hold the spindle arms on? My tires would would angle in when they were loose until I changed the bolts over to grade 8

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    Just curious but have you changed or tightened the bolts that hold the spindle arms on? My tires would would angle in when they were loose until I changed the bolts over to grade 8
    As stated above I've already checked that. All four spindles are nearly new. Pull the wheels checked everything for tightness. The spindles aren't the problem 100%
    The axle is a Dexter. All four spindles came brand new from Dexter.

5. Member
    Before you go nuts on this Change the spindle bolt to Grade 8 nut and bolt. This has been major problem with these axels since day1. A lot of us have done it.

6. Member
    There are a few benefits of ordering the axle from Ranger. The convenience of not having to take some measurements and then going down to a local trailer parts supplier to order it. Ranger is a phone call away, and it ships out quickly, you order it from a supplier it’s gonna have a long lead time at least 6 to 8 weeks, the last time I ordered an axle it was 10 weeks from Dexter. All axles from Dexter are made to order. If you order it from Ranger it will be Armor coated if that matters to you, and you will probably have it within a couple weeks.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstbass View Post
    Before you go nuts on this Change the spindle bolt to Grade 8 nut and bolt. This has been major problem with these axels since day1. A lot of us have done it.
    I ordered the bolts and nuts. Will install those and see. I'm a little confused on the bolts. I understand they could stretch and loosen over time. But if they are super tight and the tires still lean I don't see how it could be the bolts. But Definitely worth doing that before I try the axle route. Thanks for the help.

Also, The price from ranger was almost 900 plus just under $100 shipping. That was not road armor coated and they told me it would be 6 to 8 weeks because it had to come from Dexter.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
    I ordered the bolts and nuts. Will install those and see. I'm a little confused on the bolts. I understand they could stretch and loosen over time. But if they are super tight and the tires still lean I don't see how it could be the bolts. But Definitely worth doing that before I try the axle route. Thanks for the help.

Also, The price from ranger was almost 900 plus just under $100 shipping. That was not road armor coated and they told me it would be 6 to 8 weeks because it had to come from Dexter.
    They told my buddy it was gonna be 6 to 8 weeks also, it shipped about 10 days later, after they did the Armor
    Coat on it. The $100 shipping is cheap, he paid over $400 for a complete axle assembly.

they feel like they’re super tight but they aren’t. The torque spec is 150 ft lbs. when mine were loose they would only tighten about a quarter of a turn and you had to really lay into a big ass bar to get it but it was enough to fix them. With the grade 8 upgrade they haven’t loosened at all. It’s a cheap thing to try before you dump $1000 into a axle anyway

10. Member
    Upgrade to grade 8 bolts are still working for me. 2017 521c. I check them regularly and have not found a loose one yet. No uneven tire wear so far on Michelin defender II.

11. Member

get them here

https://basscatstore.com/torsionboltkitgrade8.aspx
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    What’s the specs on the bolts so I can find them locally?

Grade 8, 15/16th, length? Style?
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C
    Fishing Lanier, Hartwell, Tennessee River & Coosa River

Quote Originally Posted by snookonfly View Post
    What’s the specs on the bolts so I can find them locally?

Grade 8, 15/16th, length? Style?
    grade 8 (Bolts) 5/8-11 x 4 inch (Nuts) 5/8-11 nylocks (Washers) 5/8 flat washers / Yellow zinc coated. Most all hardware stores have them.