Optimax 150 Oil Reservoir priming procedure

I have the following motor:

2010 Optimax 150L

Serial#: 1B79004

I had an oil reservoir that was leaking down onto my lower cowling so I had to replace it. My question is, how do I properly prime the oil system now?

I read somewhere that you can simply put the motor on muffs and start it until oil pushes out the fill cap on the reservoir and it’s primed, but I want to make sure this is correct.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

2. Member
    The only proper way is to have the Mercury software perform a oil prime sequence, done by a dealer or someone that has the software.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    The only proper way is to have the Mercury software perform a oil prime sequence, done by a dealer or someone that has the software.
    +1!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Has anyone used the compressed air method like this guy does?

<See Below>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-24-2023 at 01:45 PM.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE: Don't rely on the TUBE for service advice!

The technique in that video is not something I would EVER recommend- I've actually seen at least one case where the remote tank exploded, forcibly blowing about 2 gallons of oil all over the rear compartment, bildge and the person applying pressure!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE: Don't rely on the TUBE for service advice!

The technique in that video is not something I would EVER recommend- I've actually seen at least one case where the remote tank exploded, forcibly blowing about 2 gallons of oil all over the rear compartment, bildge and the person applying pressure!
    So what do you recommend then?

Can I get away with just filling the reservoir to the top and starting the motor with the cap off until it starts to overflow?

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors

7. Member
    The recommendation is to have the dealer perform the prime sequence. Are you near a dealer? Call and ask if they can do it and how much.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

The procedure you referred to is not an oil prime procedure. It is a procedure for filling up that reservoir if it got low but not empty. No air ever got into the engine oil lines. When the tank was replaced, air did get into the lines so now it must be purged. The only way to do that is to have a Mercury computer hooked up and have an oil prime sequence accomplished. It will take at most an hour to hook it up and have it performed. There are no cheap short cuts on this one.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I'll get a hold of a couple local Mercury repair centers and see if they can fit me in and what it'll cost.

I would rather do it myself because I hate paying the dealer what they charge and I was hoping to get out on the pond this week with temps being in the mid 70's.

Thanks for everyone's input.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors

10. Member
    You can use the shifter method, but this also puts the engine in break in mode for a couple hours, which could foul your spark plugs, so check or replace them after you do that.

11. Member
    If you really don’t like going to a dealer and would like to do your own repairs and maintenance, you could invest in the software yourself and buy it. Then you can do the prime sequence and run diagnostics on your motor anytime you want.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    You can use the shifter method, but this also puts the engine in break in mode for a couple hours, which could foul your spark plugs, so check or replace them after you do that.
    DON'T do this... there are a lot more "cons" than just fouling spark plugs (cost of a couple gallons of oil, having to run the boat with engine trim tucked down and loaded heavily for a minimum of 2 hours above 3500 RPM's, likely a set of spark plugs, and erasure of the entire run and fault history (leaving only total engine hours)).

Definitely not saving you money.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I found this thread that Don created back in 2010 that I’ll refer to as well. I hadn’t seen this thread previously.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22506

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The procedure you referred to is not an oil prime procedure. It is a procedure for filling up that reservoir if it got low but not empty. No air ever got into the engine oil lines. When the tank was replaced, air did get into the lines so now it must be purged. The only way to do that is to have a Mercury computer hooked up and have an oil prime sequence accomplished. It will take at most an hour to hook it up and have it performed. There are no cheap short cuts on this one.
    +1 and is the correct way to do it.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Just wanted to give an update on this.

I’ve tried to find a close to me Mercury dealer to have the oil prime procedure completed but was unsuccessful. The first dealer told me that they wouldn’t work on it because they didn’t put the tank on. That’s the last time I call them for anything.

The next dealer that I spoke to was great and actually connected me to the technician who told me how they prime the system after a tank change. He said what they do is remove the oil line that comes from the boat tank and start the engine until oil comes out. He said that they only do the prime procedure if they have to change the pump itself. This should save me a ton of time and gas trailering it to a dealer.

Once I perform this I’ll update this thread to let others know how it worked and if I had any issues.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors

16. Member
    so they only do a reprime if the electric oil pump is replaced , interesting for sure
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    The next dealer that I spoke to was great and actually connected me to the technician who told me how they prime the system after a tank change. He said what they do is remove the oil line that comes from the boat tank and start the engine until oil comes out. He said that they only do the prime procedure if they have to change the pump itself. This should save me a ton of time and gas trailering it to a dealer.
    All that does is prime the line from the remote tank to engine reservoir, which you can do yourself. It is NOT an oil pump prime sequence which can only be done with the Mercury diagnostic tool or Diacom software.

An oil pump prime sequence is required when any part of the oil system is disconnected from the engine reservoir outlet and beyond.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    Just wanted to give an update on this.

I’ve tried to find a close to me Mercury dealer to have the oil prime procedure completed but was unsuccessful. The first dealer told me that they wouldn’t work on it because they didn’t put the tank on. That’s the last time I call them for anything.

Once I perform this I’ll update this thread to let others know how it worked and if I had any issues.
    This will do nothing other than to help you bleed air out of the oil reservoir and the SUPPLY line. It does NOT remove any air pockets that may (or may not) have formed between the oil reservoir and the oil pump.

Imagine that approach helps their service-sales numbers up, though.