Getting fit for new clubs

Getting fit for new clubs on Friday. It’s full bag except putter. I am getting back into golf now that my kids are grown and my knee surgery has healed. played 3 times in last month and realize my 30 year old clubs need to be replaced. I’m going in with open mind to what it shows I will hit the best not really club sponsor specific. Excited and nervous at the same time. Figured be best to do with Christmas coming up so I know some things to put on my list.

2. Member
    Good luck. Be sure and try different shaft weights in all the clubs you like. Greater accuracy was achieved by reducing shaft weight in irons during my fittings.
    think about your ball flight-do you want a lower or higher ball flight. Choose what you were comfortable with previously as it will be more natural for you rather than something completely different.
    shaft flex will also be important in the driver and fairway woods.
    Think about longer irons vs hybrids.
    now a days they try and sell older folks on hybrids.
    I like my 3 and 4 irons for low shots, control shots into the wind, shots where you may want to roll the ball rather than fly it and punch shots out of trees.
    if you pass on these at the time of buying your irons, you might regret it later if you wanted to acquire those that match your set and they don’t make the same set anymore. Hybrids really don’t need to be same set as the irons as they all have different set ups from the irons, shafts and feel.At least that is my opinion. Some may differ.
    Last edited by Bearetta; 11-08-2023 at 08:38 AM.

Enjoy the fitting process, I have been through two of them. It is an amazing process when they start to dial you in with different shaft weights, shaft length, shaft flex, kick points, etc. I doubt you have to say much to them, other than if you like the look of a certain head over another one. Have fun!!
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

I also will be doing a fitting in the next couple of months. Can’t wait!!

5. Member
    I did a total bag fit once and in my opinion it's hard to get a good fit on the entire bag in one day, you would be much better off to fit your irons and wedges one day and driver, woods and hybrids another. Just my opinion from experience, good luck with your fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob4AU View Post
    I did a total bag fit once and in my opinion it's hard to get a good fit on the entire bag in one day, you would be much better off to fit your irons and wedges one day and driver, woods and hybrids another. Just my opinion from experience, good luck with your fitting.
    Excellent point Rob. My first fitting I did the entire bag and I was exhausted by the time we finished. My second fitting, I did two weeks apart. One fitting for the irons/wedges, another for driver, 3 wood and hybrids.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

7. Member
    I may break into two appointments if they’ll let me. I’m playing tomorrow morning so may be sore Friday. My knee may not be able to do a whole bag Friday after play tomorrow. They have a 50% off special going so not sure if they will let me or not

8. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    As some who has been a teaching pro for over 25 years, I think getting fit is a crap shoot. Good luck!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    As some who has been a teaching pro for over 25 years, I think getting fit is a crap shoot. Good luck!
    Agreed! You have to find a fitter with knowledge, a helpful attitude and no other appointments behind you! Hard to do.
    Some just want to get it done.
    Some have been very helpful and made good suggestions.
    That is why you need to formulate a game plan BEFORE you walk into a fitting session.

10. Member
    Bigrod, how did it go?

I had a fitting about 10 years ago for irons, was great and really helped my game. I am a shade over 6’2” and was using clubs that were too short, thus the slice. Had an open mind, did not care what clubs I got, just wanted to hit it straight. I must have got lucky with the fitter—did it on a day I was the only one scheduled.

11. Member
    I got fitted many years ago, place that was local to me when living in the Denver area. They measured my swing with a special club to get the profile then matched shafts and club heads to optimize my swing. It added a good 20 yards of carry distance to my driver, and I hit the ball straight. First session was just the driver, went back again to do the irons and fairway woods. Last visit was for wedges and putter. It was very tiring as I hit a lot of balls trying out different shafts and heads.

They have a lifetime guarantee on fittings, I have gone back a couple of times to have my swing re-assessed to make sure that everything is still optimal, my swing speed slowed down a bit (that whole getting old crap) so ended up with a new driver, then some new irons.

Welcome to D'Lance Golf -D'Lance Golf (dlancegolf.com)

12. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Just had my fitting and excited to get my new clubs.
    I got a GREAT deal on new Callaway ParadymX irons.
    When they arrive, I am headed to the simulator.
    ( any senior looking for a great complete set of Taylormade RBZ, PM me for a FANTASTIC deal. one season old like new)
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex