Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Zero Turn Mower - What to do?

I need a new mower. Been using a lawn tractor with a bagger - I have lots of leaves to bag. I want to go with a zero turn mower (42 to 48 inch.) I researched all the brands and it appears no brand has a bagger for a zero turn that really works or lasts and the baggers for zero turns are crazy expensive.

Anybody have any experience with a zero turn bagger that really works and lasts? I may just have to go back to lawn tractor.
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

2. Member
    I have a old John Deere zero turn Z225 and the bagger works good on it. I do know what type of blades I use make a big difference on how easy it clogs. Also dense wet grass will clog it.

3. Member
    Buy a zero turn and put a mulch kit on.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    Buy a zero turn and put a mulch kit on.
    This. Why bag at all unless you just want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    This. Why bag at all unless you just want to?
    I have a LOT of leaves - lots of trees including two very large red oaks. If I mulch them, the rain seems to wash the remnants into large clumps, and since they are small wet pieces they become difficult to completely redistribute by running over them again with the mower.
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

6. Member
    A little pricey but all the big lawn care guys use walker mower they have a big rear bag and easy dump ,I know if your like me mulching is out of the question .I would have 2 feet thick mulch. Look at walker.com

7. Member
    If a lot of leaves I mow over them first high, then follow with the bagger attachment. I have a twin bin bagger on the Craftsman rider and line them with a HD lawn bag to just tie when full.

8. Member
    Rad Brewer

9. Member
    Home Depot advertising the double bagger for the Cub Cadet for $579. Not power assist like this one though.

Quote Originally Posted by I fish 4 Bass View Post
    Rad Brewer

10. Member
    I have a John Deere Z930m zero turn which has the mulch on demand lever on it, the lever just basically closes the discharge chute off when you want to go into mulch mode. I have 9 giant (100’+) pin oaks which drop millions of leaves sometimes to the point of being way more than ankle deep.
    I normally run over them to cut them up a little and then run back over them in mulch mode ....sometimes takes a couple times doing this but it will turn them to powder and you and the mower will be covered in leaf dust but it gets the job done, way easier than bagging.....at least for me.
    2023 Ranger Z520R
    Mercury 250 ProXS

11. Member
    Check with your Lowe's and home Depot stores sometimes they get warranty returns that are sent back to the factory. The sell them at reduced price. I bought a ariens with a brand new motor. $3500 mower for $900!!!
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Quote Originally Posted by MCPO View Post
    I have a LOT of leaves - lots of trees including two very large red oaks. If I mulch them, the rain seems to wash the remnants into large clumps, and since they are small wet pieces they become difficult to completely redistribute by running over them again with the mower.
    You must live in the woods like I do. I have 32 large oak trees in my yard plus about 50 more surrounding my yard where I don't cut. Most people don't have a clue what a hassle it is dealing with this many leaves. I could easily work 4 days a week trying to mow the leaves like some suggested but you never get ahead. Once they start falling now I just let the lay until early spring and start working on them then.

Get a after market vacuum.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    You must live in the woods like I do. I have 32 large oak trees in my yard plus about 50 more surrounding my yard where I don't cut. Most people don't have a clue what a hassle it is dealing with this many leaves. I could easily work 4 days a week trying to mow the leaves like some suggested but you never get ahead. Once they start falling now I just let the lay until early spring and start working on them then.
    If I had that many to deal with I would see about burning them if permitted.

BOCAT 60 inch. never rack just mow the leaves down
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

16. Member
    I use a pull behind lawn sweeper on my zero turn works pretty good

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    My neighbour has a yard like that. He will kill all his grass by mulching or leaving them. He has a "Billy Goat" that he uses and vacuums the yard. I get the leaves that blow over and into my pool to try and keep mulched.

18. Member
    I had a 48 inch zero turn that I put a mulching kit on for leaves. I did not like that. If I had only a few leaves, then it might have done better, but I had a bunch, and I felt like the mower could. not keep up with chopping the leaves and I got large clumps of leaves at times.

When I changed mowers, I decided not to do a mulching kit, and I am glad I did not.

I would get the 48 and not the 42. The zero turn will travel much faster than the lawn tractor, its easier to make multiple passes with the zero turn. My lawn tractor had a bagger, then I went to a lawn sweeper (which did good and was easy to deal with) and then I went to zero turn and was able to ditch the bagger/sweeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    If I had that many to deal with I would see about burning them if permitted.
    It's pretty dangerous burning leaves in the woods. All it takes is a gust of wind for them to get out of hand.

20. Member
    Depends on your situation. Can you dump leaves on site? Do they need to go offsite? Realistically unless you are willing to spend the money on a really high end zero turn you probably won't get a real good bagging system. Me personally I would get a giant lawn sweeper to pull behind your machine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast