Zillion RPM Mower Decks

Why does everyone want to get a zero turn mower with a deck that turns a billion RPM? All the neighbors get one and run around with the dull blades moaning so loud you can hear them in the next county. I can run my X530 at 2500 RPM and mow as fast as they can.
    War Eagle 2072 side console, Mossy Oak, Skinned with carpet,
    115 Optimax, Laser II, 19P.
    Rod locker, storage boxes, Terrova I-Pilot Link
    HB-899, HB-999, Bimini top, Smart Tabs,
    44 mph.

2. Member
    They are loud. My son has one, lives a 1/2 mile through the woods from me, I can hear him cutting grass. He brought it to my house to try out. Nope.

3. Member
    I don’t know. Have you ask any of them?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

4. Member
    Sounds like an opportunity for you to start a blade sharpening business!

5. Member
    I was told that running the Z turns at less than full rpm is hard on the pumps. Mine is loud for sure. I wear ear plugs and ear muffs both. The commercial units , which I have, run at higher rpm. Mine is a beast. It takes an incredible amount of tall thick grass to pull down the rpms.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    You wouldn’t mow my 3 acres with your x530 as fast as I can with my Bad Boy Rouge.

7. Member
    What? I can’t hear you after running my Bad Boy commercial mower! I have mowed with my pull behind Woods brand mower and tractor but it just doesn’t “Cut It” !

8. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmuddy View Post
    Why does everyone want to get a zero turn mower with a deck that turns a billion RPM? All the neighbors get one and run around with the dull blades moaning so loud you can hear them in the next county. I can run my X530 at 2500 RPM and mow as fast as they can.
    No,,, no you can't and it aint even close...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    High RPM on the blades cuts better, allows you to move faster and shreds the clippings finer. It’s a big upgrade.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    nope and not even close. I had a new x580 and it took over two hours to mow my yard. Bought a year old Turf Tiger 72” with the 40 horse and I can do it in less than an hour. Nothing wrong with the ride on deere but the commercial zero turns are better in every regard (there’s a reason they cost close to 20k).

11. Member
    I was told by the dealer and the manual that the engine should be ran at full rpm whenever mowing.

12. Member
    Is 2500 RPMs WOT on you mower? If you mow at less that WOT you are doing yourself a major disservice as they are designed to used at WOT when mowing. To say that you can mow as fast as even an entry level zero turn (same sized deck of course) with your yard tractor is laughable, to say you can do it without even being at WOT is delusional.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

13. Member
    Had a Cub Cadet garden tractor with a 60” deck. Hydraulic deck lift and power steering. It was a beast of a little garden tractor.

I replaced it with a Toro Titan HD with a 48” deck. Seems I recall it had 3400 series hydro pumps in it. With the quicker maneuverability, and WAY faster ground speed (like, <5mph versus 8-9mph), I cut the lawn faster on the ZTR with a smaller deck faster than the garden tractor with bigger deck. Deck fit better in some spots on our property otherwise would’ve gone with a bigger deck and might’ve cut it even faster (but giving up some time to maneuverability in certain spots)
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

14. Member
    Buy a Skag and a set of AM radio headphones and don't look back.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
    Buy a Skag and a set of AM radio headphones and don't look back.
    I think you meant to say buy a Scag, which is the only Z-turn I will ever own. I use my 52" mostly for trim before I get the rest of the 6 acres with the JD 3520 with a 72" mid deck.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    I think you meant to say buy a Scag, which is the only Z-turn I will ever own. I use my 52" mostly for trim before I get the rest of the 6 acres with the JD 3520 with a 72" mid deck.
    Might of missed a letter but still the truth.