Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recreational sports

Wondering how many still play some kind of recreational sports . I am 65 and still play hockey 3 times a week, couple of the guys are 75 and 76 and still go strong. I am arthritic so it takes a lot out of me, However missing a game is worse as you get scorched in the dressing room next game.Fortunate to play with a couple of x NHL guys (dreaded Bruins) and they have some stories!! my son stepped in as our goalie for a year till we found an old guy to play so that was fun. Have to keep moving right?
    Don't count the days,Make the day's count
    YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

2. Member
    Good for you! I think that's awesome. As we get older our minds stay young. I rodeo' ed for about 10 years before I had to get a real job and stop living out of a van. Now I raise and train bulls. I fight off the urge every time of getting on one of them. We used to get on 8-10 at a practice. Now these kids...get on one and they go home. Most do it just so they can post on Instagram.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

3. Member
    I started hockey back in March, and promptly messed my shoulder up. Soon as I get clearance from my Dr. I'll be back on the ice. Years of softball and basketball in my 20's and 30's.

4. Member
    Good for you.

5. Moderator
    That is awesome. Keep it up! I wish we had something like that local. The Ford Ice center does beer league hockey but it's over an hour drive each way and usually they can't get ice time until 10pm or later. Just couldn't do that. I run and lift weights when I can to offset.

I tore one Achilles tendon at 38 playing basketball. Decided to try basketball again at 46 and promptly tore the other Achilles tendon. Have not thought about playing any sports since.

I play slow pitch softball is the only official rec sport I play. Ended up breaking my wrist really bad this past year so my season ended after about 3 games. I also coach high school so I play around a little at practice both softball and basketball.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Yep played a lot of Kid’s games including rodeo before settling back into way more fishing when we moved close to some quality water. Since I love being on the water added in kayaking and teaching kayaking then eventually distance kayak racing to the list. Have always had to workout to keep arthritis and all old injuries at bay.

9. Member
    That is great!!
    If I hadn't destroyed my left ankle several years ago, I'd still be riding motocross. Next year I would have been eligible for the +50 classes.

10. Member
    I still play on a rec league Hockey league at 41, I have been playing my whole life. I wish I could hit up some more Rat ice sessions but my rec leauge is Sunday nights and the local Rat ice sessions are on Sunday mornings. I also golf but that is not too tough on the body.

11. Member
    Great you can get out and play hockey at 65! Have not played softball in years and the old knees creak and croak and the throwing shoulder sounds like a rusty gate. Losing 25 lbs has helped a bunch.

12. Member
    I stopped playing men's league softball around 45 (53 now), coached girls fastpitch for 12 years up until 4 years ago and quit grappling maybe at 43, I rolled for 5 mins with a buddy of mine from back then who taught Jiu Jitsu and got destroyed a couple years ago. Too much wear and tear, worst was my knees from catching for the pitchers and all 3 of my daughters pitched so that was year round. My brother still plays men's league hockey from time to time but I haven't had on skates since I was in my early 30's. Still lift weights every other day but now it's mostly lighter weights and corrective exercises, I call it decay maintenance.

13. Member
    I am fortunate to live in an area with many activities within my own little city. At 64 I enjoy a steady diet of weight lifting, pickleball, fishing, golf and a bit of bike riding on our paved trails. Ok I'll confess, the bike is an e-bike. But it's hilly!

www.bellavistapoa.com

I stopped playing summer league Lacrosse about 45. body was not responding like it did. I coached to 60, but the hips and knees are too shot. Coaching since I got out of college, but I always felt you have to show the players how, and there a point that the body just can't respond. Never was one to be a stand around coach, put the pads on and ran the drills with the players, to show technique.

15. Member
    Basketball here

I'm 49 and I stopped playing basketball about 5 years ago. I had just heard too many stories of guys tearing and pulling stuff. I hike, run, and ride my bike a lot to stay in shape and plan on getting back into mountain biking next summer.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

17. Member
    Ok I'll say it........ Pickleball

Been playing a couple of years now and it's actually a pretty good/fun workout when playing with people of an equal skill level.Also plan to start playing softball this winter. Played ice, street and roller hockey into my 40's. It was taking too long to recover after every game

Does fishing count? I fish

I’m really into broad jumping.

20. Member
    Gave up trying other sports when I was young. Not enough time to do all of them. I concentrate on fishing.
    Never played a round of golf ever and built a golf course. Never bowling. Snow skied one time was enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast