Thread: 02 HPDI Service

02 HPDI Service

I have an 02 200 VMax HPDI, no mods all factory. Approximately 800 hours, I've owned since new when I bought my Ranger 518 in 02. I live in Minnesota so it gets used 3-4/week over 7 months of the year. The motor has been in credible for me. I am a little superstitious about talking about how reliable it has been. Over its life, I have fed it 87 octane (mostly) I would say I've used Yamaha fuel conditioner or similar product about 50% of the gas that has gone through it, maybe a little higher. I've always used Yamalube oil. I have changed out spark plugs, fuel filters, impellers, lower unit oil, and had to replace a couple trim switches on the throttle. Outside of that, its never needed a repair or been in a shop for service.....

I am planning to repower this Ranger if/when the motor goes but would like to do what I can to keep this motor going as long as possible. I think anyone in this forum knows this motor is not the fastest motor and the hole shot has suffered with the added weight of 4 31 class batteries mega live target lock 360 more large sonars (and tackle). But I am not racing, I'm fishing. Mostly 300-3000 acre lakes, spend most of my time imaging and on the trolling motor after runs, rarely run too much over 3500 RPM.

I feel like its running a bit rougher late season, maybe that was just my paranoia. I am writing this to ask this group if there is anything you would consider doing to this motor, from a servicing perspective. I've been considering getting the injectors cleaned and rebuilt. Just haven't pulled the trigger because I have been afraid to mess with the motor. Is there anything else I should consider doing to it to keep it going?

Thanks

2. Member
    Have the injectors serviced, replace ALL the filters including the 4 "secret" filters. Do a sync and link to verify all the settings. Service the LP fuel pumps. Replace your fuel lines and primer if you havent already. Check HP pump pressure along with the medium pressure one. I would also replace the fuel pump relay or at least carry a spare and know how to change it. [or bypass it like I do]. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.