Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    The Xpress is a fine boat. They have local dealers in my area. I would definitely own one. I like my Ranger, but the Xpress is one of if not the best aluminum bass boat option at it's price points.
    Vexus seems like a fine rig too but they're a little too proud of them when it comes to pricing, lol.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Vexus seems like a fine rig too but they're a little too proud of them when it comes to pricing, lol.
    Agreed. Throw Avid in that camp.

3. Member
    The way I see it... a factory with a bunch of employees welding aluminum, and mind you post covid employees which in every industry has seen a much different workforce, can and will have different skill levels of welders. This would make an assembly line type production boat a "gamble" of which welder you got to weld your boat. A mass production aluminum boat company like bass pro is going to use a robot welder that controls heat and makes lerfect aluminum welds every time. So you have to ask yourself which boat will have better welds and last longer in big water? Along with the rangers you can add a vexus 1880 with a 115 to the list of broken welds that our lake ate last year, the difference Vexus took it back no questions asked. The only aluminum left in our club that havent been destroyed is my tracker and a Lund tiller.

4. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharr View Post
    The way I see it... a factory with a bunch of employees welding aluminum, and mind you post covid employees which in every industry has seen a much different workforce, can and will have different skill levels of welders. This would make an assembly line type production boat a "gamble" of which welder you got to weld your boat. A mass production aluminum boat company like bass pro is going to use a robot welder that controls heat and makes lerfect aluminum welds every time. So you have to ask yourself which boat will have better welds and last longer in big water? Along with the rangers you can add a vexus 1880 with a 115 to the list of broken welds that our lake ate last year, the difference Vexus took it back no questions asked. The only aluminum left in our club that havent been destroyed is my tracker and a Lund tiller.
    Serious question-how many of those people with destroyed boats lose their common sense on tournament day? There's been countless trips where I could have destroyed my boat in one trip but chose to take it easy and get there when I get there to keep the boat from getting beat up any more than it has to. When conditions get rough I'm the driver a lot of people probably wish they were with and my best friend is also one of those drivers that does everything possible to keep the boat from getting beat up.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

5. Member
    I would say none of them. They are all good friends and baby their boats, there are days on the lake that you can't go 5 miles an hour without slamming down off a 4ft wake boat wave coming from all directions.. that older ranger has 39 broken welds , pretty much has separated from the hull. The vexus did the same thing. I just believe if you want to run big water alot a 150 on an aluminum is not the way to go.

6. #FRB
    I agree on not putting more than a 115 on an aluminum boat. 150 and over glass is the way to go.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

I agree on not putting more than a 115 on an aluminum boat. 150 and over glass is the way to go.
    Yup. That's why I got a CX18ss

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Yup. That's why I got a CX18ss
    Did Caymas go out of business? I would be concerned about warranty and support if that was the case... but you are right. With a 150 I would go glass or maybe a thick hull aluminum
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

9. Member
    Maybe on the modified V’s. Lots of big Lunds with 150’s to 250’s up here fishing the big waters of the Great Lakes. Of course, they are riveted V hulls.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Maybe on the modified V’s. Lots of big Lunds with 150’s to 250’s up here fishing the big waters of the Great Lakes. Of course, they are riveted V hulls.
    Yeah, the deep V's are a whole different animal especially the riveted ones. No way I'd run a boat like mine in the water deep V boats are designed for. In REALLY rough water I've felt like I was in a really bad car wreck a couple days after. Mostly happened in an old 17' Hydra Sports tri-hull my friend had. I hated that boat!
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

11. Member
    Hi there. How soon did you start getting the cracks? and what causes the cracks. I just bought a used 2021 RT198P I went over the entire bottom and gunnels and transom. everything on the welds looked in great shape. I don't run in big waves or on big
    lakes. The transferable warranty is 10 years to the 2nd owner is that 10 years from my purchase date or 10 years from the manufacturing date? Thanks in advance. Sorry about your hole battle to get your boat fixed.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofishing1004 View Post
    Hi there. How soon did you start getting the cracks? and what causes the cracks. I just bought a used 2021 RT198P I went over the entire bottom and gunnels and transom. everything on the welds looked in great shape. I don't run in big waves or on big
    lakes. The transferable warranty is 10 years to the 2nd owner is that 10 years from my purchase date or 10 years from the manufacturing date? Thanks in advance. Sorry about your hole battle to get your boat fixed.

https://www.rangerboats.com/content/...m-Warranty.pdf

10 years from in service date with the first owner.

13. Member
    Hi John, overall on your boat your happy with it? I just purchased a 2021 RT198P its in mint condition I went over the entire boat check the welds climbed underneath went from the back to the front looks clean a crisp. I can't wait to get out fishing...

Quote Originally Posted by bassaddic View Post
    If I was looking at a mod v type tin boat I wouldn’t buy either one of those. Try to find a Gatortrax or Xpress. Both are built better.
    I agree

15. Member
    Having fished out of an Xpress X17 and X19 for many years, I would never buy a tin boat with .100 guage hull and transom that hangs a 450# 150hp motor on it.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

I’m partial to my Lowe Stinger 175 excellent build quality no wood construction one piece bottom hull. No issues with it thus far 2016 model. When it gets rough I find go a bit slower and not beat it to death maybe the key to keeping welds from cracking but this will not help with bad welds that are likely going to fell over a period of time regardless how the boat is treated. Wide beams and big decks always a plus.
    Lowe Stinger 175

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofishing1004 View Post
    Hi John, overall on your boat you’re happy with it? I just purchased a 2021 RT198P its in mint condition I went over the entire boat check the welds climbed underneath went from the back to the front looks clean a crisp. I can't wait to get out fishing...
    My 2017 RT188 has been one of the best boats I’ve owned to date. Rough water is it’s biggest downfall, invest in good rain gear if you fish rough water much because you’ll need it. I take my time and have never felt afraid I’d get back, it’s just a wet ride with such low gunnels. I fish the local river quite a bit and it doesn’t get very rough. But,I’ve had it on Stick Marsh, Guntersville, Old Hickory, Barkley, Chick, and KY Lake to name a few. The 198 is a larger rig and should ride a little drier.

You got that right.

Got my CX18ss with a 150 for way less then the AVX 1880 with a 115.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Did Caymas go out of business? I would be concerned about warranty and support if that was the case... but you are right. With a 150 I would go glass or maybe a thick hull aluminum
    Just called to gets some struts that were messed up replaced and they answered the phone.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkk View Post
    I’m partial to my Lowe Stinger 175 excellent build quality no wood construction one piece bottom hull. No issues with it thus far 2016 model. When it gets rough I find go a bit slower and not beat it to death maybe the key to keeping welds from cracking but this will not help with bad welds that are likely going to fell over a period of time regardless how the boat is treated. Wide beams and big decks always a plus.
    I too am a happy Lowe tin boat owner. I purchased a 2011 Lowe 17HP with a 90 2 stroke Opti in 2013 so I've had it a while. It is a solid well built hull and the 17HP is a pad hull. Performance isn't up to glass boat standards but it isn't a glass boat. I've fished 3 out of it mnay times and it works great. It has the upgraded 24v 75lb trolling motor and with a 990lb hull weight 75lbs of thrust pushes it very well. It is an especially great "river" bass boat. With the 90 my boat cruises comfortably at 30 to 33 mph and tops out at 42-43 mph (all gps speeds). As solid as my boat is I still respect that it is only 17' long and is aluminum. When the lake or river is rough I slow down and don't drive like a maniac. It's all about what you want. Lowe stopped making the HP style hulls several years ago. If I were in the market for a tin bass boat today I'd look hard at Xpress. .125" aluminum is comforting vrs .100" thick and let's face it - Xpress has been welding them for a while and how many Xpress hulls have you ever heard about with bad welds?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast