Hello, anyone home ?

Kinda dead, been fishing strip pits with these overcast windy days. Having a ball with my blade baits and jerks. Been experimenting with replacing rear hook with small blade like a little George. Seems chartreuse works better than orange or red. Bought a bunch of mega bass 110 knock offs used heavier split rings and got them to balance pretty well in 40 degree water. Painted one with gray rattle can lighter coat used a little red on gills . It looks like crap but on the overcast days it killed them. I have tons of expensive jerks but have found some oddball stuff works better. Still tuff to beat 1/2 oz silver buddy used right in clear water. Just a sat morning rant, been going at noon home by 4. Hope everyone is doing good .

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Good deal. I’ve been wearing out the crappie on Decatur and Shelbyville. Friday buddy and I fished Decatur and caught probably 75 crappie with 50 or more keepers. Also had a few bigguns with biggest at almost 14 inches. Fishing a jig and tube 18 inches under a cork. Fun and tasty

Dale Sinclair original

Sad to say that I probably won't be back on the water until April. Went out on the fox river in the kayak one last time up near Algonquin several weeks back and got into a few smallmouth.

Will be doing a lot of organizing and cleaning up in the garage to get everything ready for the Spring. And adding a new 10" Lowrance with forward facing sonar on the kayak next year....should be a fun learning experience! Either that or I get to see the fish live that I can't catch :)

4. Member
    Been slaying crops on mississippi river pool 14. Freezer is getting filled nicely!

https://www.gatewaycenter.com/fishing-show/home
    some nice national and local anglers
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    Been slaying crops on mississippi river pool 14. Freezer is getting filled nicely!
    I used to crappie fish the Rock Creek area and the Comanche Harbor years ago in late fall, do those areas still produce ? Le Claire canal could be good but lots of small fish. My home pool 18 used to be good but most of the spots are silted in.

7. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Yep I am Home. Wife is having left hip replacement on Tuesday. Had right one done the middle of September. Will not be Home in February, because I will be in the sunny warm weather again, south of where I am now and will be fishing

8. Member
    Letting the hardwater season come and go before wetting a line in Illinois again.............

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    I used to crappie fish the Rock Creek area and the Comanche Harbor years ago in late fall, do those areas still produce ? Le Claire canal could be good but lots of small fish. My home pool 18 used to be good but most of the spots are silted in.
    Rock creek has really declined. Can still catch some there though. Guys ice fish it pretty heavy yet. Secondary slougs outside of rock creek seem to produce more and bigger fish these days.

10. Member
    Rock creek area produced some nice crappies back in the 70s and 80s. I used to know the pool from top to bottom when I used to tournament fish. I haven't been there in quite a few years.

11. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    https://www.gatewaycenter.com/fishing-show/home
    some nice national and local anglers
    I attend every year and it’s a nice break..

Dale Sinclair original

12. Member
    We still have open water so this short old fat man is still fishing my blades and jerks

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Letting the hardwater season come and go before wetting a line in Illinois again.............
    Ditto...reel/rod cleaning and tackle re-organization...quick tip-do not overlook care...especially on your frog rod/reel...mine was FILTHY! Crazy how much worse than any other combo...makes sense though with the nasty stuff you're pulling that line through

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

14. Member
    Newton bound Tues and weds after Christmas

15. Member
    Went to Coffeen yesterday. If you eliminate the first three hours, I had a good day. All on jerkbaits. Seemed like you either caught them good on a spot or you caught none. If there wasn't that *&^$$%#^&** stringy, slimy crap on all the grass it would have been even more fun. 43 degrees and 4-5 feet of visibility.

16. Member
    Anyone know water conditions at Newton ?

2 weeks ago, water temp at the north end of the hot side was low 50's. About mid-lake it was mid 50's. I haven't been back since.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

18. Member
    Thanks

19. Member
    Saturday Newton was a little warmer. 52 at the ramp.. warmest up the hot side was 62ish... coldest on cold side was 47ish. Visibility about 2 feet. We caught quite a few small fish and a handful of keepers, but nothing over 4 pounds. Most came on a variety of crankbaits. Monday's rain could change things quite a bit.

20. Member
    Well fished Tuesday and today at Newton. 13 fish yesterday 3 keepers 12 today 3 keepers. Yesterday 8 to 12 ft deep on blade . Today same depth blade,jerk spinner,chatter bait and crank bait. Water temp varied from 49 to 54 degrees. Had to follow warm water from overflow south to keep bites coming. They only ran plant Tuesday a short time I think. Water clear for the most part. Still my favorite lake, always will be.