Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Question Carvana.....selling car to them

Will be selling our car very soon and rather than deal with the hassle of meeting people, talking, etc. wife is thinking about the online car places like Carvana. Has anyone done this before?? Regrets, easy, not worth it, etc.????

Give me your thoughts.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    I looked at them and a couple others and the offers I got Sucked! About 3 to 4K less than what I got on a 15K car.

3. Member
    I know 3 people who have used them. First was thrilled, the other 2 not so much.

4. Member
    I haven’t sold a vehicle to them but have done their website price valuation a couple of times. We’ve had an extra vehicle for a while now, because I drive a lot less and don’t need a daily driver much at all. My impression is that if the vehicle is something in high demand—which mine was, being a popular model in mint condition and low mileage—the prices are not bad at all. Not top retail, necessarily, but higher than typical dealer trade-in pricing. Had I made my mind up about selling, I would not have balked at the offered buy price. Highly doubt I’d gain more than $1k on a private sale, and $1k is not enough for me to deal with [ahem!] the car-buying public.

I tried them with my F250 diesel the offer me $2500.00 I sold it on marketplace for $8500

we did not use carvana but did use "we buy any car" it was fast and easy and we got what we figured the vehicle was worth

7. Member
    They have to be able to buy it at a low enough price to make money off of it. Its how they pay their bills. So that is money you may be able to get out of it selling it yourself. It is common that customers will pay more for a vehicle from a dealer than from a customer direct. So really need to do your homework on value. rest assured, you're going to essentially be selling a car for trade in value to a dealer.

8. Member
    I would check CarMax if one is nearby. I've had great luck selling vehicles to them at fair prices.

9. Member
    I’ve sold to both carvana and carmax.

Carmax is easier as they have dealerships you just walk in and an actual person does the rest and you walk out with a check.

Carvana requires you to do more of the work online and you get a direct deposit a day or so after the deal is done.

I prefer Carmax but I did use carvana one time only because they paid me about $2500 more than what Carmax offered.

Sold my dads truck after he passed away, I put it on marketplace first and called both Carmax and Carvana and got their prices. It didn’t sell on marketplace so I went with Carvana. Only about a 1000 less than We were asking. It was a very smooth transaction.

The guy picked it up mentioned about the extended warranty, He said we could go to Ford and get a rebate on what was left. Went there and got 750 back. The Ford dealership was not happy about giving it back to us.
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

11. Member
    When we had to divest in a couple vehicles without the 'hassle' we went to a Carmax and was pleasantly surprised by the quickness and value we received.

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Didn't think of Carmax but will also check them out....

13. Member
    Sold to them twice. Both at a very good price and about as painless as it gets. They showed up at my house, took the truck around the block and wrote me the agreed amount of check. Loaded and gone.

I've used Carmax several times and have been pleased. Always check prices and process, as offers can vary quite a bit.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

15. Member
    I tried Carmax once. Their price was $100 higher than a dealer who offered me as a trade in on a new vehicle. Trade in value on the vehicle was $38k so to be $100 apart was at least honest for “trade value”. I did end up using the dealer, it was just easier, one deal and done.

16. Member
    Whatcha wanting to sell?

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eat more spots View Post
    Whatcha wanting to sell?
    08 Lexus IS250.......

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaston Mike View Post
    Sold my dads truck after he passed away, I put it on marketplace first and called both Carmax and Carvana and got their prices. It didn’t sell on marketplace so I went with Carvana. Only about a 1000 less than We were asking. It was a very smooth transaction.

The guy picked it up mentioned about the extended warranty, He said we could go to Ford and get a rebate on what was left. Went there and got 750 back. The Ford dealership was not happy about giving it back to us.
    Thats called a return premium and its a cash cow for dealerships because most not transferable and they get a huge upfront commission when you walk out. Was in car business and this was on a list of things to do when we repoed a car, get the return premium from the after market cos.

I also 2nd carmax, sold 2 vehicles to them and bought 3 from them. Great business.

Like any used car dealer they're going to hit you at rough wholesale minus repairs and detail. If it's an extra clean car or truck and something they want they might come up to average wholesale...by whatever book they go by.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Keoweefishing View Post
    I would check CarMax if one is nearby. I've had great luck selling vehicles to them at fair prices.

This for sure. You will get more from CarMax than any of the others.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast