How often do you all use the long irons? Hybrid better?

In searching for a set of Irons i see a lot that are 5-PW.
    Do you all use those most and then use a hybrid instead of a 3 or 4 iron?

2. Member
    I use a 3 and 4 frequently when punching out of the rough.
    Keeps it low and runs out.
    I am able to draw or fade them as well which is hard to do with a hybrid.
    I also use them to tee off of a tilted fairway which runs out into the water where I only need 185-195 yards under control.
    My hybrid goes about 200+ so I haven't used any hybrids for shorter shots-yet.
    There will be a day coming.

3. Fishing is a Passion
    My bag includes a 5 iron. I also have utility 3-4 and probably use them equal.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

I use a 3 and 4 hybrid...during my fitting I hit them way farther and more accurate than a 3 and 4 iron. I can play a draw with the hybrids, to any degree I want, but I cannot fade them at all. But, the hybrids work for me and fit my gaps perfectly.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

5. Member
    IMO you should look at what the LPGA golfers have in their bags that replace the long irons. Hybrids, 5 wood & 7 woods are a lot more forgiving than long irons. I am 61, play to a 3 handicap and have a 4 hybrid & 5 wood in my bag to replace 3 & 4 iron. Need to research the specs on the clubs you choose to purchase or during your fitting. Some hybrids and woods are draw biased and/or have adjustable hosel's for flight dispersion changes. There are players hybrids & woods that can be moved in either direction. I use a combination of callaway irons, ping hybrid, titleist woods and wedges. Good luck on your decision.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    In searching for a set of Irons i see a lot that are 5-PW.
    Do you all use those most and then use a hybrid instead of a 3 or 4 iron?
    Yes, but depends on what you like. I learned to play carrying long irons and hybrids sill look off to me. Sometimes it's so easy to hit, other times it's a foreign club. A 4 iron still looks & feels better but my hybrid is more consistent.

With that, I stop at the 5i (185), then go 21 hybrid (195), 5 wood....6 HC FWIW
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

7. Member
    I used to carry the 3 & 4, removed the 3 and added an extra wedge when I got my Ping's about 5 years ago. I did pick up some of the G425 fairway woods and hybrid clubs to try out when Ping put them on clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    I used to carry the 3 & 4, removed the 3 and added an extra wedge when I got my Ping's about 5 years ago. I did pick up some of the G425 fairway woods and hybrid clubs to try out when Ping put them on clearance.
    I agree about the extra wedge. My irons consist of 5-PW, and then I play a 4 hybrid that's lofted 1* strong, and then a 3 wood. I used to have a 5 wood but the difference between that and my 4 hybrid was about 15 yards. And I had a huge gap between my 52* wedge and PW. So I got rid of the 5 wood and figured I'd rather have an extra wedge in my bag that I'm going to use much more frequently than the 5 wood. I hit my 4 hybrid about 220 and my 3 wood about 245. How often am I going to need a 235 yard club vs. a 120 yard club?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO