Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering Repower.

I’m thinking of replacing my 250 opti pro xs with a 250 4 stroke. I live in NE GA an would like to get some feedback from folks that feel like they were gouged by the dealers. I’d like to support the ones that did not take advantage of the situation. Mercury or Yamaha or maybe even a Suzuki.

2. Member
    I would stick with Mercury. Contact these folks: Bunch Marine – Tennessee New and Used Boat and Pontoon Dealer
    Good luck!

3. Member
    I repowered a few years ago . I used Jaco's. They're probably not too far from you. They treated me well. I'm almost a 3 hour drive but it was worth it. I know for certain that I drove by several dealers on the way that I absolutely would never pull in their drive a second time. I've been to Jaco's multiple times. They have always took care of me. Cash is king.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    Duck river marine in Tennessee usually has some of the best if not the best prices on Mercury 4 strokes.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

5. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullred View Post
    I’m thinking of replacing my 250 opti pro xs with a 250 4 stroke. I live in NE GA an would like to get some feedback from folks that feel like they were gouged by the dealers. I’d like to support the ones that did not take advantage of the situation. Mercury or Yamaha or maybe even a Suzuki.
    Is your Opti headed south on you?

6. Member
    How could you be gouged? You talk price. Agree on price and write it up. They work, you pay.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    How could you be gouged? You talk price. Agree on price and write it up. They work, you pay.
    When there's a waiting list and they jack the prices up simply because they know some poor sucker needs a motor.
    Jaco's was always one- if not the cheapest. I've not bought from them since Jerry and Barbra no longer own it but I've heard good things.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I repowered a few years ago . I used Jaco's. They're probably not too far from you. They treated me well. I'm almost a 3 hour drive but it was worth it. I know for certain that I drove by several dealers on the way that I absolutely would never pull in their drive a second time. I've been to Jaco's multiple times. They have always took care of me. Cash is king.
    This for me! I am just over an hour away!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    When there's a waiting list and they jack the prices up simply because they know some poor sucker needs a motor.
    I don't think that's really the case any more. I see dealers around here advertising motors in stock from 9.9-250. Several guys I know are looking around and they seem to feel like there is stock available to buy.

On another note, I'd triple check anything Duck River Marine did. I bought a boat from them and lets just say it wasn't exactly as advertised, plenty of others had a similar experience. I'd imagine they do fine with rigging a new motor. They had 19 (maybe 17, not sure) new 250 Pro XS 4 strokes come in a couple of weeks ago and were offering $2250 rebates on them...can't imagine they could do that if motors were scarce.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

Quote Originally Posted by MattVT18 View Post
    I don't think that's really the case any more. I see dealers around here advertising motors in stock from 9.9-250. Several guys I know are looking around and they seem to feel like there is stock available to buy.
    Yes sir, production FINALLY caught up with demand.
    However the OP was referring to those who
    did not take advantage of the situation.

You are in NE GA so give Don Weed a call. He would be the first person to ask about a repower. He is a great resource here and IMO, you should consider spending some money at his shop.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    Everyone I’ve talked to says the v8 gets about the same gph as a Optimax. Doesn’t make financial sense to me They do sound cool though. Running my Optimax till it blows

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Everyone I’ve talked to says the v8 gets about the same gph as a Optimax. Doesn’t make financial sense to me They do sound cool though. Running my Optimax till it blows
    But you don't have to have an external oil tank and pay for that ever increasing price of DFI oil.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    But you don't have to have an external oil tank and pay for that ever increasing price of DFI oil.
    I had the store buy me 8 cases years ago. Have one gallon left
    Repower would be nice but would be more than I paid for the boat.

15. Member
    You will never spend a repowers worth on oil though. Let’s be honest, repowering a boat without any engine problems is essentially the same as getting a newer boat. It’s not a smart financial decision, but if you want it and can afford it than go for it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    You will never spend a repowers worth on oil though. Let’s be honest, repowering a boat without any engine problems is essentially the same as getting a newer boat. It’s not a smart financial decision, but if you want it and can afford it than go for it.
    I agree but was just pointing that facet out.

As others have said, check with Jaco's. I've dealt with them several times and have always been satisfied.

18. Member
    Why waste money on over priced DFI oil. There are way better options for oil in a 2 stroke pro xs. I run 2 of them with 100's of hrs and will never run a drop of DFI junk in either one of them.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

19. Member
    I went bunch did me right but taxes are bad ,
    I read on here someone in Florida talking that they had them and won't be beat,there's another one said free install

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast