Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    I suggest picking any of these recipies to try, and 45 minutes before it's done, order a pizza.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TFB View Post
    Allegro marinade is wonderful for steaks or loin.
    Check out thesportingchef.com good recipes
    I just made venison burgers with diced up bacon.
    Venison stew is really good.....prepare in a slow cooker like beef stew
    Venison tacos are wonderful
    100% agree on the Allegro. We soak tenderloin that’s been sliced in it; then bacon wrap the and cook on the grill. Alway use deer burger in chili.

3. Member
    Loin is about the only part we like, I cube it and cook it just like dry breaded fish! So the rest gets ground or made into jerky and sausage.

4. Member
    Fortunately my small family is generally lucky enough to draw at least one elk and one buck deer permit here in are great state of Arizona. That’s right I said draw. Tags are allocated here through a drawing process. For years I used to just cut the straps and loins from the wild game we harvested and ground the rest. Now it’s all about roasts and steaks with very little burger. We finally figured out what the hell we were doing and roast are fantastic which you can cook in so many different ways. Round steaks tenderized and chicken fried probably is my favorite though. Front shoulder roast beef sammiches pretty good to

5. Member
    First you have to get a shingle from an old out house lol. we mostly grind all of ours with beef tallow or brisket, do make some sausage, only steak I care for is chicken fried tenderized back strap.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    now there is something that needs to be smothered to eat...... not my favorite fish... people can't give it away..... we are in the mecca of ocean stripe bass fishing.
    We make fish cakes from most of the stripers I bring home and my wife makes an excellent flaked fish sandwich that is served cold on a warm focaccia roll that is quite good but you are correct in that they aren’t the easiest fish to prepare something tasty with.

NY Times venison marinade
    1 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons dry mustard
    2 1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt (or more to taste)
    1 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
    2 pounds venison loin or leg cut into steaks
    Mix all ingredients in a large bowl or pan and then add venison, cover tightly and refrigerate for 8-12 hours before grilling. But I often only marinade for a few hours if I forget to do this in the morning. Very tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I no longer believe in hanging to improve flavor. That all changed for me when the best eating deer seemed to be those that were processed within a day or so of being taken.

Also have to disagree with grinding all of the shoulder meat but some of it depends on the size of the critter. If it's good-sized deer, the blade steaks are considered by many to be 3rd best flavor after tenderloin and backstrap. There is a line of gristle in there that turns some people off but doesn't bother me. That would be like not eating fish because it has bones. Flat iron steak is also a popular cut in some circles.

On the other hand, if it's a small deer I would grind more of the shoulder meat . You don't get a much for shoulder steaks off a 60 pound fawn.
    Don't be judging me on the size deer I shoot!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    I would rather eat deer than beef. Folks that don't like it aren't doing it right. I butcher my own so I know what I'm getting and how it was cared for. Saves alot of money and gives me a lot of self satisfaction. I make roasts, burger, steaks, summer sausage, german rope sausage, brawts, breakfast sausage, italian sausage, ground bacon, snack sticks, jerky you name it. I eat it all the time. It's healthy and tasty in my book.

10. Member
    No matter the recipe, I soak my backstraps or steaks overnight in milk, or better yet, buttermilk. Yes, it does make a difference in tenderness.

As for recipes, my new favorite is venison steak in a shallot and blueberry cream sauce. (the recipe actually calls for red currants, but I can never find them so I substitute blueberries and don't know if I'd change)

A close 2nd is venison piccata. Other good ones are venison steak Diane, or just dust the medallions in seasoned flour and pan fried in butter with onions and bell peppers. Butterfly the chunks of backstrap into medallions for any of these.

The easiest and old stand by, take a chunk of backstrap and season it to your liking and just grill it to a nice medium rare center.

If you want to go South Dakota on it, look up the "recipe" for chislic. Also very easy and tasty!

No matter the recipe, just make sure to not overcook the medallions or steaks. Overcooking it (and it doesn't take long to do so) will toughen it up to the point where you and your guests will probably not like it.

11. Member
    For you guys tenderizing and soaking in buttermilk, how thick do you guys slice your steaks? I do all of mine about 3/8" so it's a couple of minutes on each side and when the juice runs clear it's done to medium rare. I might soften-up some of the hind quarter steaks but backstrap doesn't need any help.

My go-to dinners after the tenderloins are gone are venison stroganoff and schnitzel. I would post the recipes but I type too slow
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    For you guys tenderizing and soaking in buttermilk, how thick do you guys slice your steaks? I do all of mine about 3/8" so it's a couple of minutes on each side and when the juice runs clear it's done to medium rare. I might soften-up some of the hind quarter steaks but backstrap doesn't need any help.

My go-to dinners after the tenderloins are gone are venison stroganoff and schnitzel. I would post the recipes but I type too slow
    3/8" thick sounds about right. The backstraps can almost be cut with just a fork, butterknife at most, after getting soaked and then seared.

13. Member
    We soak our meat in saltwater. Never have anyone complain about gamey taste. That that we don't grind, we slice about 3/8" thick, coat with seasoned flour and fry. We haven't found any other way that tastes better.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

14. Member

Mule Deer Roast

Deer roast recipe secret:
    Leave the deer in the woods for me.
    My wife won’t give me the recipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Member
    Venison schnitzel, that sounds pretty tasty

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    Don't be judging me on the size deer I shoot!
    Three Virginia deer = one Maine deer
    Our SML deer are dainty but tasty.

I take a half of back strap and butterfly down middle, then butterfly each half so the strap rolls out in 4 triangles, saute mushrooms in butter and seasoning of choice, mix with diced jalapenos and cream cheese fill back strap up , roll up and roll bacon around it and cook on pellet grill. Very good. Can skip jalapenos , it's good without as well.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt1down View Post
    Fortunately my small family is generally lucky enough to draw at least one elk and one buck deer permit here in are great state of Arizona. That’s right I said draw. Tags are allocated here through a drawing process.
    Come to Illinois. Archery either sex from October to Jan 15(2 buck maximum per season per hunter gun or bow) gun tags are still available for the final antler less season in the county I hunt in as I speak. They literally can't give them away. I got three so far, was thinking I would wrap it up, but seeing all these recipes I want to try and my lack of knowledge in cooking deer, I am going to get a couple more tags and hit the last three days, try to get more meat in the freezer to experiment on.

Lost of tasty stuff here, really looking forward to this year's feasts. :) Thank you!

19. Member
    Loin and sweetmeat in the sous vide for 6 hours then a nice sear. These were fantastic,
    loin.jpg
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Come to Illinois. Archery either sex from October to Jan 15(2 buck maximum per season per hunter gun or bow) gun tags are still available for the final antler less season in the county I hunt in as I speak. They literally can't give them away. I got three so far, was thinking I would wrap it up, but seeing all these recipes I want to try and my lack of knowledge in cooking deer, I am going to get a couple more tags and hit the last three days, try to get more meat in the freezer to experiment on.

Lost of tasty stuff here, really looking forward to this year's feasts. :) Thank you!
    There are many eastcoast stares you can wack and stack does, till you get tired.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast