Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best RV configuration?

One of my retirement goals is to travel my local state of Arkansas and fish small lakes.
    I've wrestled with a RV configuration I could live with and do this.
    The logical solution was a truck camper. Tried it. Didn't like it for many reasons I won't detail to keep this readable.
    Not going to entertain a triple tow, tent camping, a fishing kayak or renting a boat.
    A Class B to tow my boat is not totally out of the question, but I'm not keen on dropping that much $ even for the used ones.
    Have a small boat for this type of adventure, Lund 1600 Fury, total towing weight is about 1,050 lbs.

The only compromise I can come up with is a small Class C. This may be small enough along with my small boat to launch without too much hassle.

Any other suggestions?

19G.jpg

When we started looking, best advice we received was:
    Make a list of about 10 items, starting with the "MUST HAVE" and the working down from here.
    NO CAMPER will have all 10 items, maybe 6 or 7. Start looking at those with the 5, 6, or 7 items on your wish list.
    So you maybe starting with Ford, Dodge, Mercedes Benzes,...

We started with a King size bed, toilet with elbow room, Large / Tall shower, then went from there. Helped us select between a Trailer or 5th wheel.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It’s a tough choice. Any powered RV that tows your boat has the disadvantage that you have to break camp every time you want to fish.

Towing the boat behind a 5th wheel has its own set of headaches, but you can use the truck to haul the boat at your destination.

I have a 5th wheel, but when fishing I sleep in a tent. Less trouble. Over the years I’ve accumulated nice sleeping pads and camping equipment to make it very comfortable. Takes me about a half hour to set up camp. Sometimes simple is better.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Look at the Thor Axis, or Thor Vegas (same with cosmetic differences). Particularly the 24.1 model. Class A that measures 25'8" long and only 11' tall.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    It’s a tough choice. Any powered RV that tows your boat has the disadvantage that you have to break camp every time you want to fish.

Towing the boat behind a 5th wheel has its own set of headaches, but you can use the truck to haul the boat at your destination.

I have a 5th wheel, but when fishing I sleep in a tent. Less trouble. Over the years I’ve accumulated nice sleeping pads and camping equipment to make it very comfortable. Takes me about a half hour to set up camp. Sometimes simple is better.
    You know, I was pondering the tent idea. At 65 yrs old, it doesn't have a lot of appeal, but it sure would make things simple and inexpensive. I'll have to Google sleeping cots for seniors and see where that gets me!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    Look at the Thor Axis, or Thor Vegas (same with cosmetic differences). Particularly the 24.1 model. Class A that measures 25'8" long and only 11' tall.
    Familiar with these short Class A's from my endless research. Have some reservations about that big ole thing on a boat ramp. Not saying it can't be done, but unhooking from the camp site as mentioned above to launch puts a bit of a wrinkle in things.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
    You know, I was pondering the tent idea. At 65 yrs old, it doesn't have a lot of appeal, but it sure would make things simple and inexpensive. I'll have to Google sleeping cots for seniors and see where that gets me!
    I’m 62. I have 3” self inflating sleeping pads. Throw an unfolded sleeping bag on them and sleep in a sleeping bag. Box fan and an electric heater depending on the weather. Sleep like a baby. I have a Kodiak Canvas tent. Bone dry and easy to setup.

I have everything in totes. I’d bet I can be ready to roll in an hour longer than it takes just to go fishing so it’s low stress and low effort.
    nothing else matters.​

A friend of mine has a 30' Class B with 2 slide outs. Living room and bedroom. Short enough to launch his 20' Skeeter and big enough to be vey comfortable to spend a few days in. My Class A is 39', yet I have been able to launch my 20' Ranger at "Some" launches !! (I do gather a crowd !!)
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    A friend of mine has a 30' Class B with 2 slide outs. Living room and bedroom. Short enough to launch his 20' Skeeter and big enough to be vey comfortable to spend a few days in. My Class A is 39', yet I have been able to launch my 20' Ranger at "Some" launches !! (I do gather a crowd !!)
    As much as I'd like to spend $1,00 on tent camping supplies and call it a day. I don't think I'd enjoy the experience.

I think the Class C is the best route for me. Glad to hear a 30' can launch a boat. Surely one like this would do well.

https://www.truckandrv.com/Pre-owned...90197?ref=list

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    As much as I'd like to spend $1,00 on tent camping supplies and call it a day. I don't think I'd enjoy the experience.

I think the Class C is the best route for me. Glad to hear a 30' can launch a boat. Surely one like this would do well.

Can launch and pleasant to launch aren’t even in the same zip code.
    nothing else matters.​

That's a little "Cramped" for my liking and they sure are "Proud" at that price !! But you should get what you will be happy with and DO NOT say, "Oh, we'll get used to it" !!! After 5 Motor Homes, each one bigger than the last, I've been thru many scenarios !!
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

You only die once!

Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    You only die once!

That's actually a great set-up. HOWEVER, some states will require you to have a Class A License for that. As I traveled over the lower 48 for 8 years, I saw many of those !!

This is me !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    You only die once!

We have been back and forth for years, but finally will be starting the double towing. We will be a little over length for our state, but are trying to keep it as short as we can. Taking 2 vehicles is not an option for us.

We were using RVShare to get trailers delivered to campsites, but that just adds up too quickly.

15. Member
    I have a 30’ Class C. that I pull a 20’ Phoenix with. Yes you have to unhook your water and electric , but it take like 10 minutes. I’ll take the comfort of my motor home for an extra 10 minutes of work. Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by va floater View Post
    I have a 30’ Class C. that I pull a 20’ Phoenix with. Yes you have to unhook your water and electric , but it take like 10 minutes. I’ll take the comfort of my motor home for an extra 10 minutes of work. Just my $.02

I've seen a few set-ups where there's a Trailer Hitch at the front of the Motor Home and then they "Push" the trailer into the water !! Hey, like they say, "Whatever floats your Boat'' !!!
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

17. Member
    Travel trailer Like leaving it set up as a base camp. Use truck to explore and can still haul 3 kayaks in the bed.

Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

19. Member
    Truck camper so you can drop it at your spot, tent camp, or forget camping altogether and rent a cabin. Anything else is too much of a hassle.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    That's actually a great set-up. HOWEVER, some states will require you to have a Class A License for that. As I traveled over the lower 48 for 8 years, I saw many of those !!

This is me !!

What state requires a different license?

I triple tow an have done all the research there is a extensive list of all the states and their rules, length restrictions and of course some have it completely illegal like Florida yet the most you will ever see triple towing is in Florida.

Ive never seen anything about a special license.

What I really wonder is in a illegal state can they take you out of service?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast