Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    thought about ballast bags, wondering if that will be a new thing in bass boats. To control lean and add extra weight.

One of the things I do in my Nitro is move weight around in certain windy rough conditions. Love the removable rear bins just for this.
    Last edited by BMCD; 01-10-2024 at 12:48 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    though about ballast bags, wondering if that will be a new thing in bass boats. To control lean and add extra weight.

One of the things I do in my Nitro is move weight around in certain windy rough conditions. Love the removable rear bins just for this.
    An old thing in the Allison world. To reach the boats potential it's wise to have her balanced.

3. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Try 16ins of setback and lets see what happens.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Try 16ins of setback and lets see what happens.
    Guarantee that would work. Just need entirely different jackplate though.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

5. Member
    Chad I'm chasing something similar in my Xpress X21 250 SHO.

Our boats are different but the issue is similar, I'm running all lithium and struggling to get mine to run what I think it should. I have a 10" hydro plate and I'm going to add 2" spacers for a test.

I can tell you this, if my partner moves from his seat to the edge of the front deck (approximately 18-24") it is a 2-3 mph difference.

I also know that a 2nd passenger makes a much bigger difference in this boat than my previous Allisons.

I have a #25 bag of lead shot I move around and there is a 1 mph difference between it being the console area floor and the rear storage compartment. I'm going to move it into the bilge area and test again.

Keep me updated with your results.

Joe
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    Chad I'm chasing something similar in my Xpress X21 250 SHO.

Our boats are different but the issue is similar, I'm running all lithium and struggling to get mine to run what I think it should. I have a 10" hydro plate and I'm going to add 2" spacers for a test.

I can tell you this, if my partner moves from his seat to the edge of the front deck (approximately 18-24") it is a 2-3 mph difference.

I also know that a 2nd passenger makes a much bigger difference in this boat than my previous Allisons.

I have a #25 bag of lead shot I move around and there is a 1 mph difference between it being the console area floor and the rear storage compartment. I'm going to move it into the bilge area and test again.

Keep me updated with your results.

Joe

Will do Joe. I thought I was done with all this stuff when I got a "fishing" boat. lol. Guess it's just in the blood.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad202 View Post
    Will do Joe. I thought I was done with all this stuff when I got a "fishing" boat. lol. Guess it's just in the blood.
    I totally understand, same here.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

8. Member
    Joe, today I ran my 24 fury. The best it’s ever ran was 72.9 and temp 60. Today I ran it with the 50lbs in the jackplate and it ran 75. Temp was 65. Don’t know what humidity was in those days but it appears the 50lbs behind the pad worked.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

Just a followup, I pulled the ballast bag out and replaced the sand with lead shot - much smaller package and more "managable" as well. I used sand initially due to the much lower cost, but finally decided to go with the shot. Hell I could probalby put another 50lb's in there if I needed to...

The ballast bag I am using (Clickable Images)

And the lead shot - this is about the cheapest I could find not buying in bulk. You may be able to find it locally cheaper if you have a good reloading supply/range...

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Here is a much better ballast solution. We keep these in stock for our Allison and other go fast customers.

https://www.leadwake.com/

Chad you know the answer and your 50lb test proves it. Setback will cure your issues.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

11. Member
    That's the one I have Tim. I know setback is the answer, just don't want to spend that money on a new jackplate now. Would rather wait until I'm ready for you to get me a 300R.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

12. Member
    I have a friend that drag races. I have thought about using 2 of his scales to balance my boat. Pull the boat onto the scales and unhook from my truck. You should be able to at least balance the side to side
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Here is a much better ballast solution. We keep these in stock for our Allison and other go fast customers.

https://www.leadwake.com/

Chad you know the answer and your 50lb test proves it. Setback will cure your issues.

As part of your sales pitch, maybe you could tell us why it is better?

The one above you can put 10lb, 20lb, 50lbs, 80lbs, whatever - so it soes have some flexibility. Is it because you use steel shot, or some other reason?

14. Member
    Balancing the boat while on your trailer won’t be very helpful….because your trailer is not balanced (winch, jack, trickstep, etc) and your boat’s balance will be completely different on the water & when under power (driver, hull attitude, fuel shift, co angler, etc).

If anything, use a 4’ level to check lateral balance while in the water and with you sitting at the console with full livewells. That will give you a much more accurate starting point for balancing your gear.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

50lbs ballast weight defintely helped out, along with the 2 36v batteries at aprox 45lbs each on passeger side... def helps offset driver weight ;).

16. Member
    I have a slow boat. I converted to Lithiums for the T/M. I have handling issues, not dangerous but interesting, I can turn the boat sharply to Starboard enough I believe the prop will come out of the water if I want.
    Anyhow, I am of the opinion side to side balance is very important especially when on pad. I've added about 40 pounds of lead to the Port stern locker and it helps in stability in a straight line. I think I'll add 40 more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12