Repair question on the Zillion flip and pitch

My buddy dropped off this reel because the handle nut broke loose. I have inspected this reel and have a question. Does the handle nut secure to the outside threads? When I put the handle back on I can only see 2 to 3 threads exposed above the handle, not enough to secure it properly.

Or does the handle nut have a bolt/screw that threads into the main shaft internally.

I have all daiwas but this one is confusing me.

Thanks,

2. Member
    It’s probably stripped. You’ll need to order a new drive shaft.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    It’s probably stripped. You’ll need to order a new drive shaft.
    Yes, it is very easy to strip that thing. I use extreme caution on any casting reel when putting that nut back on with its fine threads.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    If the Zillion is the same as the Tatula, the drag star fits down on a square nut that threads down the drive shaft. It has be screwed down a decent amount to allow the drag star (which also needs to be properly seated on the square nut) to allow enough threads for the nut to go on properly. What happened to the nut retainer? No way that handle nut backs off it that is properly installed. I have saw a couple of reels that someone prior to me disassembled and didn't understand the drag star/nut deal and only get a couple of threads engaged and it did strip out and fall off. I was able to clean up the treads enough to get the nut back on once the drag star was far enough down the drive shaft to salvage the reel.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series