Broken Bow and Surrounding Lakes

Hi All,

Planning a trip late March- early April to Broken Bow lake. My buddy and I made a stop there last year on our way to Toledo Bend and had a great time. Curious if that lake is pretty consistent. The water was up quite a bit when we were there last spring, probably mid April.

The real reason for the post though is to find out about other lakes in the area and if there are others we should hit up. I don't know much about the area other than Broken Bow, but have heard that McGree Creek and Sardis can be good. Any thoughts on those two lakes and which one you'd recommend. Each look to be about an hour away and obviously smaller than Broken Bow. We like to hit up at least a couple lakes on our trips from MN. Any other suggestions around there are obviously welcomed as well, we're not locked into just those two, in the earliest of stages of trying to figure out our plans. Like I said we are traveling for a week end of March into early April.

Thank you for all the help!

Broken Bow can go up pretty quickly in the early spring. It’s down almost 5’ now but will come up. It’s a Great Lake. Would also recommend McGee Creek over Sardis. Tenkiller is an option since it is close on the way down but a few hours from Broken Bow.

McGee would’ve been my recommendation, but after fishing it this past fall, I struggled for three days to get a decent bite. I thought maybe it was conditions, me, or pressure, but the park ranger indicated poor fishin for several months. It’ll bounce back, it always does.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

4. Member
    Other lakes in the area are Pine Creek,Hugo,Wister to name a couple.I've never fished those,but have fished Broken Bow a couple of times,Sardis several times and McGee 2-3 times a year. Sardis is 80 miles from Broken Bow and McGee creek is 121 miles from Broken Bow per Google maps.Both are very good lakes with standing timber in the midlake and creek arms,believe it or not,Sardis is about 100 acres bigger than Broken Bow,McGee is quite a bit smaller but with all the timber it fishes very big.

Both have some very big fish in them.

I've only fished Broken Bow once so I'll start there . It's probably the most beautiful lake in the state. Clear water...one cove I was in like 50' of water and could see standing timber just under the boat...lots of humps and islands....coves within coves that keep going and could take half a day to cover fully. Nice facilities...state run lodge and cabins that look nice...and a trout stream. My son and I tent camped there probably twenty years ago. It's just too far a drive for me.

I've fished Sardis maybe 8 or 10 times. Great lake, caught some nice fish. Lots of weeds and underwater structure and just about any kind of fishing you'd want. I always preferred the eastern end of the lake to the north of the dam...lots of grass and cover around there. Has some treacherous humps in mid lake that aren't marked and could be a lower unit killer. Also, if the wind is up Sardis can be a real SOB...it's something about how the mountains around there funnel the wind down across the lake. The last time I fished there was a tournament...rain all day with 20+ mph east wind blowing the length of the lake. We were in a 20' Skeeter and ventured out to cross main lake and chickened out and stayed on the east side bank all day. Friend of mine was in a 21' Triton and ventured out and got into some heavy chop. He said that they had both pumps working and they were still ankle deep in water...he said in 20 years that it was the first time he had ever been scared in a bass boat. So it's that...big fish potential but such various cover and structure it has always been hard for me to establish a pattern and can be a challenge in adverse weather.

McGee Creek...one of my very favorite lakes. Fished there a bunch. If you're going there in March or April bet ready for some big fish action. McGee Creel Lake is not much more that two major creeks that are dammed up. In the spring the bite with be as far up these two creeks as you can get. Big flats and lots of tree stumps...get your you 8 power flipping stick, 65# braid and big jigs or flippin' plastic. I always did well Gene Larue Hoo-Daddys there. My son and I always tent camped there. A couple of tournaments there we stayed at a motel in Atoka and a place near the lake that is no longer in business. I love that lake but it's three hours from my house and I fish alone most of the time these days so I don't make the trip anymore.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I’ll echo the comments above. I’ve never fished McGee, but Sardis can be dynamite that time of year. Shoot me a PM right before you head this way. I fish Tenkiller and Broken Bow a lot and can let you know what’s been working.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    I really appreciate everyone's help on this! This definitely helps with planning. Tenkiller might be the first stop on the way down too, so that's a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by lakesareabassin View Post
    I really appreciate everyone's help on this! This definitely helps with planning. Tenkiller might be the first stop on the way down too, so that's a great idea!
    Tenkiller is a beautiful clear deep lake. Good chance to catch a smallmouth or two there. It is much more developed than the other lakes, so bigger marinas with gas pumps...probably lodging on or near the lake....on the other hand in warmer months, expect lots of pleasure boat traffic and many of the coves filled with partygoers. I've only fished there once in the summer and for me it was difficult to find a place to fish. Someone with more knowledge of the lake will certainly disagree. But, it is great in the spring and fall.
    Enjoy Oklahoma, it's a lot better than most people think.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I usually hit the area a couple times a year and stay in Hochatown. Broken Bow is definitely fun in the spring and I like to hit Pine Creek and McGee while I’m down there also. Pine Creek can have crazy fluctuations but if it’s stable it can be really good. McGee is 1.5 hrs from Hochatown and is loaded with fish but still kicks out some decent fish too.

10. Member
    We're heading down and fishing Tenkiller on Friday and then broken bow a few days and may venture to pine Creek, McGee creek or even Sardis. Who knows.

You will love Tenkiller and Broken Bow. Beautiful lakes. Have a safe trip.

12. Member
    Have a great trip, I’ll be visiting the SE corner the next couple weeks as well. Pine Creek is a phenomenal crappie lake and a pretty solid bass lake as well, tons of 3-6 pounders, just not many bigger than that. Enjoy the beautiful scenery and catch a few