Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ON board alternator suggestions

I will be in need of an on board after I move to South Carolina. Outdoor storage has not power to hook up my on board charger. The boat will be an hour away from my home and would not want to trailer when batteries need charged. I am looking for suggestions on which model to buy and from what company I appreciate any tips and suggestions.

2. Member
    Your not going to slap just any old alternator on a outboard. You could go with a charge and run system, IF you run the big engine enough. Most dont. Solar charging depending on the situation. Portable inverter gen, also depending on the situation. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You are unlikely to get by without power when storing the boat regardless of what kind of onboard charger you have.

Depending on your outboard and battery type, you may reduce the need to charge with an onboard charging system, but you’ll still need to charge in storage.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I'm not sure what you mean by "on board alternator". Alternators are usually associated with some sort of motor/engine.

If you don't have any power, then nothing else besides some sort of solar/charger setup would be an option for any kind of unattended battery charging.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 01-19-2024 at 03:58 PM.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "on board alternator". Alternators are usually associated with some sort of motor/engine.

If you don't have any power, then nothing else besides some sort of solar/charger setup would be an option for any kind of battery charging.
    I am wondering the same.

My first thought was he might need a Honda portable generator. Which has a DC output for charging a battery. And of course an AC output to power a standalone battery charger.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    I am wondering the same.

My first thought was he might need a Honda portable generator. Which has a DC output for charging a battery. And of course an AC output to power a standalone battery charger.
    The dc output is very low unless you have the idle control off but even on high idle it is 6 amps from what I remember. Was a waste of money for me and gave the cables to the new owner of my first eu2000. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

7. Member
    I think you need to clarify a little more what you’re wanting. Are you talking about a small generator to charge your batteries ??

8. Member
    Take the batteries out. Transport them to the house and charge them there. There is no real good option for charging the batteries sans a reliable electric source. Or... portable generator powering a 120v battery charger and stay at the storage site until batteries are charged.

Use a DC to DC charger on your tow vehicle, If you have lithiums, they can charge pretty quickly.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

Quote Originally Posted by goodman_fishing View Post
    Use a DC to DC charger on your tow vehicle, If you have lithiums, they can charge pretty quickly.
    Not that fast, would require minimum 4 hour drive, maybe 12 or more depending on varibles
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    lithiums because they are light weight. Bluetooth app to monitor charge state.

quick disconnects like Anderson Plugs for easy removal
    Adjust mounting location if needed so they are easy to remove.

Haul them back and forth charging at home when needed.

Alternate plan would be Solar.

If this is a wet slip, go with solar as you need constant power to bilge pump.

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I sent the original poster a PM asking him to provide clarification in this thread and answer questions, but haven't heard from him, and he hasn't jumped back in yet.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

13. Member
    I am sorry for the confusion, Minn Kota sells an on board alternator that when running my 175 out board will charge my trolling motor batteries. It seems this is not done by others. I will call my boat dealer, get his input and move on. I could just have second set of batteries, but where located not easy to take out or put other ones in. I am still in Ohio so when I get back to SC I can see other places to store my boat that has power. I appreciate your replies, sorry for cloudy request.

14. Member
    Stealth one has a harness for the truck and harness to go to boat that will charge your boat from your truck. I would give him a call. It’s called the tow package I believe

15. Member
    Remember the little generator that would flip into position and ride against a bike wheel to power a head light? Create one for your trailer tire.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coach762020 View Post
    I am sorry for the confusion, Minn Kota sells an on board alternator that when running my 175 out board will charge my trolling motor batteries. It seems this is not done by others. I will call my boat dealer, get his input and move on. I could just have second set of batteries, but where located not easy to take out or put other ones in. I am still in Ohio so when I get back to SC I can see other places to store my boat that has power. I appreciate your replies, sorry for cloudy request.
    From what I see the Minn Kota on board alternator has very low output. Only 10 amps per battery.

A device like a Yandina Trollbridge will allow much more current flow from your outboard motors alternator. Much quicker charge time.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Remember the little generator that would flip into position and ride against a bike wheel to power a head light? Create one for your trailer tire.
    I do remember those. High falutin. I did not have the money to buy one. Rode at night by moon light. If there was any.

What we could afford was to clip a playing card onto the bike so that wheel spokes would brush against the playing card and soup up the motor.

18. Member
    Make other arrangements. I wouldn't even have a boat if it had to be stored an hour away from where I live.

19. Member
    I appreciate all the tips and suggestions, the one that said about storing< I will be 81 and will not tow two times a week to Hartwell. I am also looking to find outside storage that has electricity. I am fine with outside, the inside too many $$$$
    Last edited by coach762020; 02-29-2024 at 09:50 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Make other arrangements. I wouldn't even have a boat if it had to be stored an hour away from where I live.
    One does what one has to do. I live north of Atlanta. Kept a boat in Apalachicola. Seven hours away. Too much of a hassle to tow back and forth. Visited the boat once a month for a few days. It was all good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast