Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lake St Clair safety questions

I have 18' boat . One throwable ,life jackets ,nav/anc lights. Flare pistol 5 current flare shells. Anything else I need to be legal or just suggestions thanks

2. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Anchor, and a drift bag could be handy too
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerTim619 View Post
    Anchor, and a drift bag could be handy too
    Thank you sir got both.

A working horn and or whistle
    If you fish Canadian water the throwable must have a 25 foot rope attached
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Thanks guys. No leaving country for me. 1969 was plenty for a life time

6. dartag1829
    Learn to use Sail Flow or Windfinder Apps. Lake St Clair wants to kill you. ( no joke ). The wind and waves can get nasty fast. With an 18 footer you need to be aware of what is going on.

7. Member
    The worst days are weekends with sunny conditions, the “tuna boats” throwing huge wakes in all directions make almost unbearable. The Canadian has much less boat traffic.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

Pay attention to the wind. My partner and I saved a guy that was drowning in 39-degree water one year. We got him back to the ramp just in time for the life squad that was getting there. He had no life jacket on was barely clinging to his boat. We got a citizen award from the Police township for that. That was pretty cool along with a small feature on the local news.

9. Member
    Thanks to all.

10. Member
    We went for the first time last year. We had very little wind. It was funny because all Ive heard isbhow dangerous it can get and we had absolutely none of it. We put in at 9 mile and drove a straight line to Metro Park and could just about run as fast as we wanted.

My luck it'll be complete opposite this year!
    2023 Puma STS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    We went for the first time last year. We had very little wind. It was funny because all Ive heard isbhow dangerous it can get and we had absolutely none of it. We put in at 9 mile and drove a straight line to Metro Park and could just about run as fast as we wanted.

My luck it'll be complete opposite this year!
    hope it's not .tight lines

Put this together a few years ago…

Boat requirements for LSC:
    * Flares – 3 handheld red flares for us, 6 for Ontario: type A, B, or C
    * Whistle
    * Air Horn
    * Life jackets
    * Throw-able life preserver (buoyant cushion suffices) – for Ontario must be attached to a buoyant line at least 15 m (49’3”) long
    * Fire Extinguisher (One (1) 5BC fire extinguisher)
    * Watertight flashlight (Must be marked with an indication that it meets U S Coast Guard requirements in 46 CFR 161 01 – required in Ontario waters)
    * For Ontario - One (1) manual propelling device OR One (1) anchor and at least 15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or chain in any combination

Additional items recommended:
    * First aid kit
    * Toolkit – prop wrench, Cotter pins, misc. tools, electricians tape, crescent wrench, pliers, vice grips, zip ties, wire stripper / cutter, crimp connectors, volt meter,
    * Jumper cables
    * Spare portable bilge pump with battery clips
    * Spare live well pump
    * Extra fuses
    * Paddle
    * Spare boat plug
    * Spare prop/nut/thrust-washer/shear pins (TM and main prop?)
    * Backup rain gear
    * Drift sock
    * Fenders
    * Dock lines

Locks for your trailer, spare tire etc; jack and lug wrench adequate to change trailer flat; good tire pressure gauge; torque wrench for trailer wheels, prop nut, jack plate etc; State required equipment; Chocks to secure trailer when unhitched; dock lines, anchor and rode. fenders for docking; first aid kit; review tackle boxes to accommodate your storage system; rod sleeves; decide on style of transom saver; UV treatment for your new seats; tools flashlight etc; map chips for your electronics;

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

PS - you will regret not getting a Canadian license if you’re on the lake after CA opens.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Thanks guys. No leaving country for me. 1969 was plenty for a life time
    Thank you for your service Bother

Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Put this together a few years ago…

Boat requirements for LSC:
    * Flares – 3 handheld red flares for us, 6 for Ontario: type A, B, or C
    * Whistle
    * Air Horn
    * Life jackets
    * Throw-able life preserver (buoyant cushion suffices) – for Ontario must be attached to a buoyant line at least 15 m (49’3”) long
    * Fire Extinguisher (One (1) 5BC fire extinguisher)
    * Watertight flashlight (Must be marked with an indication that it meets U S Coast Guard requirements in 46 CFR 161 01 – required in Ontario waters)
    * For Ontario - One (1) manual propelling device OR One (1) anchor and at least 15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or chain in any combination

Additional items recommended:
    * First aid kit
    * Toolkit – prop wrench, Cotter pins, misc. tools, electricians tape, crescent wrench, pliers, vice grips, zip ties, wire stripper / cutter, crimp connectors, volt meter,
    * Jumper cables
    * Spare portable bilge pump with battery clips
    * Spare live well pump
    * Extra fuses
    * Paddle
    * Spare boat plug
    * Spare prop/nut/thrust-washer/shear pins (TM and main prop?)
    * Backup rain gear
    * Drift sock
    * Fenders
    * Dock lines

Locks for your trailer, spare tire etc; jack and lug wrench adequate to change trailer flat; good tire pressure gauge; torque wrench for trailer wheels, prop nut, jack plate etc; State required equipment; Chocks to secure trailer when unhitched; dock lines, anchor and rode. fenders for docking; first aid kit; review tackle boxes to accommodate your storage system; rod sleeves; decide on style of transom saver; UV treatment for your new seats; tools flashlight etc; map chips for your electronics;
    You mentioned handheld flares. The gentleman who asked originally asked I think mentioned a flare gun. I think a flare "gun" was at one time illegal to take into the Canadian side of the lake . Maybe I'm wrong about that but I still don't take a flare "gun" in case that law was and is still in effect. Maybe someone else know for sure.
    Rob Campbell - (2015) 21 Skeeter Fxi

Quote Originally Posted by RealtorRob View Post
    You mentioned handheld flares. The gentleman who asked originally asked I think mentioned a flare gun. I think a flare "gun" was at one time illegal to take into the Canadian side of the lake . Maybe I'm wrong about that but I still don't take a flare "gun" in case that law was and is still in effect. Maybe someone else know for sure.
    Flare guns are now legal
    "The handicapped angler"

17. Member
    Thanks again to all. Hope you all have a great year

18. Member
    Recently purchased this...

Sirius Signal C-1003 SOS LED Flare Electronic Visual Distress Signal Kit with Daytime Distress Flag and Whistle - CG Approved

Can anyone verify if this "counts" as a flare gun? Amazon description says "no more flares needed"

Thanks,

~Smally~

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smally22 View Post
    Recently purchased this...

Sirius Signal C-1003 SOS LED Flare Electronic Visual Distress Signal Kit with Daytime Distress Flag and Whistle - CG Approved

Can anyone verify if this "counts" as a flare gun? Amazon description says "no more flares needed"

Thanks,

~Smally~
    it’s my understanding that yes it does satisfy the requirement but when it comes to safety equipment I wouldn’t take someone’s word from an online forum. I would contact the Coast Guard and verify with them.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

20. Member
    Good reminder to check the batteries in mine.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast