Filling screw holes from transducer

There was a SI transducer mounted to the transom of my Falcon. I知 planning on filling the holes from the screws and want to make sure I知 doing it right. My plan is: 1) drill out the holes one size larger than the screw size 2) compressed air 3) clean with acetone and a q tip 4) compressed air again 5) fill with 610 epoxy 6) clean epoxy around hole 4) cover with masking tape 5) sand down excess epoxy after cured. I知 debating on leaving the epoxy unfinished (boat is hunter green), going over the epoxy with matching fingernail polish, or using gel coat. I致e never used gel coat before. Any advice?
    2018 Falcon F215 w/ Suzuki 250SS

2. Member
    I wouldn't go to that extreme. The holes are small, I wouldn't drill them out larger. I would put painters tape closely around the hole, get some clear epoxy and put a small amount in a West Marine syringe. Inject it into the hole letting it run out just a bit. Next day remove the tape and reapply new tape. Repeat the epoxy/syringe to fill any void. Remove the tape when dry, good to go. If you are careful, no need to sand or match it, you'll never see it. https://www.westmarine.com/west-syst...RoCIQ4QAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-RM...572559&sr=8-56

I have used Marine-Tex on several occasions for dock hickeys and to fill in a mod to my trolling motor tray. I've never used it for screw hole but having used it, it seems like the perfect product.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    I’d not drill. Remove screws. Let it dry. Fill with silicone and put screw back in. No sweat.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

5. Member
    It's very simple fill the holes with marine silicone and run the old screws in. I have done all of my boats that way and never had one leak.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-RM...572559&sr=8-56

I have used Marine-Tex on several occasions for dock hickeys and to fill in a mod to my trolling motor tray. I've never used it for screw hole but having used it, it seems like the perfect product.
    I've used Marine Tex before and it works great and it's permanent. I would never use silicone to repair fiberglass; they don't play well together. Guys do it and they say it's NBD but it's not recommended. If it does fail and it will at some point; it will be very difficult to get ANYTHING, even more silicone, to stick.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

7. Member
    I used nylon plug which matched the color of my boat put some silicone in the hole pushed the plug in been there for 5 years,

8. Member
    Marine Tex is made for that kind of task. Have used it on my boat a couple of times years ago, to patch a couple screw holes and it's still there and looks just like the day I put it there. If you want to color it to match your boat I don't think it would be a problem. I put a little black 5200 marine sealant over my holes to ensure water proofing. Still there after 17 years.

9. Member
    I would not drill it either, the threads will help hold anything you put there to plug it.
    Amazon.com: Loctite 1365868 INSTANT MIX EPOXY, .47 OZ : Industrial & Scientific

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    I’d not drill. Remove screws. Let it dry. Fill with silicone and put screw back in. No sweat.
    THIS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    This is what I've always done as well.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

12. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Marine Tex is the way to go.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    Marine Tex is the way to go.
    Much better options in his case, hunter green hull with Marine Tex would look horrible. You'll never see the clear epoxy.

14. Member
    I would use marine 4200 epoxy and put same screws back in after ensuring no water is currently in the holes.

15. Member
    Another vote for Marine tex
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    I used Marine Tex to fill in the holes when I switch transducers last time. Additionally, I installed a plastic transducer mounting plate and sealed round it (including mounting screws to the hull) so that additional transducer changes won't require filling in holes again. My boat is old and doesn't have a jackplate to use a jackplate transducer bracket.
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)