Thread: Welp

Welp

I've never liked taking my M700 with walnut stock out in the rain and snow so I finally decided to get a secondary deer rifle that's more weather resistant. I was hoping to not spend a lot of money on it but I really didn't like the feel of the entry-level Rugers, Mossbergs, etc. so I then had to justify stepping up a level. Aha! Get a foul weather deer rifle and one that doubles as a coyote rifle with some reach. Of course, once you get to that point you need to up the glass. Budget blown!

Tikka T3X stainless in 6.5 CM and a Maven FFP 2.5x-15x. I'm hoping to hit pretty close to what I'm aiming at once it's dialed-in.

PXL_20240211_012558761.jpg
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

2. Member
    I do not know how you could have made a better choice.

A great combination of quality and value.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Great choice! I shot a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM for a while. I’m a southpaw, and there are not many LH selections out there. Finally took the plunge about 2 years ago and ordered a LH Tikka T3X Lite. Topped it with a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X44 with Firedot. It is the most accurate rifle I’ve owned over the last 40+ years. Really likes Hornady 143 grain ELD-X ammo.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Great choice! I shot a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM for a while. I’m a southpaw, and there are not many LH selections out there. Finally took the plunge about 2 years ago and ordered a LH Tikka T3X Lite. Topped it with a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X44 with Firedot. It is the most accurate rifle I’ve owned over the last 40+ years. Really likes Hornady 143 grain ELD-X ammo.
    Have you taken whitetail (or similar) with the ELD-X? If so, were you happy with the terminal performance? Reviews seem to be mixed with some folks saying they're awesome and others saying not so much. I use their American whitetail in my 7mm-08 and no complaints
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Have you taken whitetail (or similar) with the ELD-X? If so, were you happy with the terminal performance? Reviews seem to be mixed with some folks saying they're awesome and others saying not so much. I use their American whitetail in my 7mm-08 and no complaints
    So far between my boys and I, we have taken one whitetail, three pronghorn, two axis, and one fallow deer with that bullet. Ranges from 50-270 yards. No animal made it more than 30 yards after the shot. I am a fan.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

And it shoots three shot groups like this at 100.

upload photo online
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    Love me some Tikkas and hard to beat 6.5 CM for availability

Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    I’ve got two VX5 HD’s. Great optics.

9. Member
    Use them, they work. Eldx is designed to upset down to fairly low velocity, as you would expect at longer ranges (longer= 500 to 1000 yards). It’ll work fine at shorter ranges, although because its a fragmenting bullet it’ll create a lot of damage, ie lost meat, if you hit a shoulder…but thats also what makes them so effective, bigger wound=faster kill. You may not get exit wounds all the time, but will generally get very fast kills, so reports of performance are usually contingent on expectations, ie if you are looking for an exit wound and dont get it, people tend to complain regardless of how quickly the animal died.
    American whitetail is a standard cup and core bullet, so a different design—not a 1:1 comparison in how terminal performance is achieved.

10. Member
    ^ This has been my experience on White tail deer with 143 gr. Eldx and 6.5 Creedmoor. Very accurate and low recoil.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Excellent choice! I just got one back in Dec of 23, a stainless in .270. I would have went with a 6.5 but I have a lot of components to reload .270 so it was more a matter of logistics .
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

12. Member
    Shot 3 whitetails with this bullet in 30-06 and I am not to happy with it, all three shot in the engine compartment not high not low, and all 3 had to be tracked and none of the three left much if any blood trail to follow. Hornady Interlocks have been my best results all the way around.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

13. Member
    Years ago I put together a 7m-08 Savage 110 in Stainless/Synthetic with a Nikon 3x9 scope. Great looking rifle that is also a great shooting firearm.